Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015/16 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I would take Kadri. His rep in Toronto is unwarranted. He has done well with them and a new place may just make him better. He is 24 y/o and becomes a core member of the future team with Larrson Severson Zacha Palmieri Henrique and Cory. Plus the rest coming up and the vets Camm and Greene. JVR is the pipe dream Kadri is much more likely.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
In the other thread, it was mentioned that Merrill looked good this pre-season, and I agree. I hope to see good things and continued growth from him this season.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
guys we're gonna have to let go of our young defenseman excluding larrsson/severson in return to get a young winger/center... i'd trade zajac, santini and whatever was proposed last thread for kadri

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not against eventually moving one of the kids on defense, but I think at this point we should be stockpiling assets rather than moving them. But I suppose if there's a can't say no deal you gotta make it. I just don't think that kind of deal is going to happen. At least not with Zajac.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's sad to see players like Curtis Glencross become expendable and not wanted in the league. That's why I hope we sign Stempniak. With Blandisi being sent down now, I think we really should sign Stempniak. There's really no reason not to with Blandisi being down.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm sorry if I'm late to the party, but have there been any new reports today backing up the Zajac rumor or is it still just hypos on the boards?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It was a crap rumor from the start, I can't think of a time when there was so much media coverage on a potential Lou trade that actually happened. Personally, I didn't believe it for a second.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean, it's not like the story is that hard to write. GM would be interested in bringing player from former team to current team. Well, no ****. I'm sure Shero would love to have Crosby or Malkin too. It doesn't mean he's actively trying to trade for them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean, it's not like the story is that hard to write. GM would be interested in bringing player from former team to current team. Well, no ****. I'm sure Shero would love to have Crosby or Malkin too. It doesn't mean he's actively trying to trade for them.

I was about to write the same exact thing lol

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I was expecting us to pick up either a current or former Penguin by this point, kind of surprised we haven't yet.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Sabres potentially looking to add defense due to injuries. Any gettable forwards for what we can afford to part with?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Especially one he signed to an eight-year contract with a NMC just two years ago.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
In the other thread, it was mentioned that Merrill looked good this pre-season, and I agree. I hope to see good things and continued growth from him this season.

I think Merrill looked better than 'good' this season.

I think the key is this:
When he was paired with Severson, Severson immediately became the best defensive partner he's ever had, and Severson didn't play particularly well.

When Severson was paired with Merrill, that was the 'worst' defensive partner that he's ever had.

Merrill is the only one of the kids who hasn't been babied in either minutes nor partners.

Gelinas has had the worst partners, but the easiest minutes.

I think if Merrill or Gelinas had been paired with Greene, we would all be singing their praises.

My only nightmare scenario is if the change of systems makes our forwards corp's D zone coverage into nuttiness - or they just get caught all of the time, and we end up burning the kids.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
The addition of Moore and his big left handed shot also make Gelly that much more expendable. You can move Gelly and still have Larrson-Greene Severson- Moore on the PP and be very good.

The question then becomes who is the 7th guy. Is it someone like Helgeson? Maybe its why a guy like Marc-Andre Gragnani is getting a longer look. As a guy they could use as a 7th Dman if they move Gelly to add a forward.

a D group that looks like this:

Greene Larrson
Merrill Severson
Moore Schlemko
Gragnani/Helgeson or some waiver pick up looks fine to me. It will still being some power on the PP even without Gelly.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I think Merrill looked better than 'good' this season.

I think the key is this:
When he was paired with Severson, Severson immediately became the best defensive partner he's ever had, and Severson didn't play particularly well.

When Severson was paired with Merrill, that was the 'worst' defensive partner that he's ever had.

Merrill is the only one of the kids who hasn't been babied in either minutes nor partners.

Gelinas has had the worst partners, but the easiest minutes.

I think if Merrill or Gelinas had been paired with Greene, we would all be singing their praises.

My only nightmare scenario is if the change of systems makes our forwards corp's D zone coverage into nuttiness - or they just get caught all of the time, and we end up burning the kids.

Merrill - Severson was a pairing last year for the 2nd half of the year. Neither were particularly great. I'm seeing a lot more poise from Merrill in the few games this pre-season than any time last year. I think Merrill has outplayed Severson this pre-season too. I'm looking forward to the young D this season.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Merrill has a lot of Greene in his game IMO. He'll never be a flashy guy, but at the end of the night he'll give you 20+ minutes of solid all-around play. And his first pass might be the best on the team right now. Although Larsson's is pretty damn good as well.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The addition of Moore and his big left handed shot also make Gelly that much more expendable. You can move Gelly and still have Larrson-Greene Severson- Moore on the PP and be very good.

The question then becomes who is the 7th guy. Is it someone like Helgeson? Maybe its why a guy like Marc-Andre Gragnani is getting a longer look. As a guy they could use as a 7th Dman if they move Gelly to add a forward.

a D group that looks like this:

Greene Larrson
Merrill Severson
Moore Schlemko
Gragnani/Helgeson or some waiver pick up looks fine to me. It will still being some power on the PP even without Gelly.

With all due respect, I don't think John Moore's offense or shot makes Gelinas expendable at all.

John Moore's shot isn't nearly as good as Gelly's shot, nor is his offense, even if he's looked good offensively this preseason. I do like Moore, I just don't think he's gonna be as good at offense as we've seen this preseason.

In trading Gelinas for forward help, I'm definitely open to that if the right move comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad