Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - playoff edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Yes, but Mercer has been far more impactful than Bratt this postseason as well.
Mercer has clearly been one of the worst offenders this post season. I would be very careful signing him to an expensive extension. At some point they need to stop treating him like some sort of golden child

He really hasn’t at all. Mercer has 8 shots at 5 on 5 to Bratt’s 18. 5 hits to Bratt’s 10. 0 penalties drawn to Bratt’s 2. And the underlying numbers aren’t particularly close.
5 hits is actually pathetic

Reactions: Jason MacIsaac

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Mercer has been quiet this post season but he is earlier on the developmental curve then Bratt. And Mercer is playing a bunch on the PK to pretty good results, while Bratt plays more on the PP to lousy results.

Mercer did have a good regular season, but the fact that Mercer and his quiet playoffs can be compared to Bratt's is not great for Bratt.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Imagine if we got 2 rounds of playoff experience from any player on this roster while they were still on their Entry Level Contract?

We'd probably be rolling today

Reactions: Comparison Ford

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mercer has been quiet this post season but he is earlier on the developmental curve then Bratt. And Mercer is playing a bunch on the PK to pretty good results, while Bratt plays more on the PP to lousy results.

Mercer did have a good regular season, but the fact that Mercer and his quiet playoffs can be compared to Bratt's is not great for Bratt.
He was 5th in regular season scoring
this year and he's 5th in playoff scoring right now.

Not that that means anything at all.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Imagine if we got 2 rounds of playoff experience from any player on this roster while they were still on their Entry Level Contract?

We'd probably be rolling today
The experience debate is interesting because we see experienced teams lose every year in the playoffs. So how much is it really worth? I dunno.

But the way NJ has played in these playoffs absolutely reeks of inexperience. Right from the get go.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Dawson Mercer was playing in his second season this year, just turned 21 and scored 27 goals and close to 60 points.

Like, what are we even talking about?

no one is saying Mercer is cooked or anything, but to say he has been better than Bratt just straight up isn't true. And thats okay.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’d rather have Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec
I don't know... I mean I am happy they are a part of the team...but the losing to get them really sucked.

It would've been nice for guys like Nico, Jack and Bratt to have tasted more success than they have up until this season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He was 5th in regular season scoring
this year and he's 5th in playoff scoring right now.

Not that that means anything at all.
It does mean something actually. Especially when you combine that with his PK contributions.

But it is also a reflection on the lack of scoring from the higher ups in the lineup......like Bratt, and Nico, and Timo.

The lack of shots and other contributions means something too though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The experience debate is interesting because we see experienced teams lose every year in the playoffs. So how much is it really worth? I dunno.

But the way NJ has played in these playoffs absolutely reeks of inexperience. Right from the get go.

I think almost every single major contender and cup champion had to suffer some heart break with their core before they finally won.

That includes our old championship core. Even the most talented of teams don't have instant success

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know... I mean I am happy they are a part of the team...but the losing to get them really sucked.

It would've been nice for guys like Nico, Jack and Bratt to have tasted more success than they have up until this season.

Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

They are all still very young (especially Jack) so there is plenty of time to get to the top of the mountain

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think almost every single major contender and cup champion had to suffer some heart break with their core before they finally won.

That includes our old championship core. Even the most talented of teams don't have instant success
The Hawks did it pretty quick but even they, to your point, had to learn.

They drafted Toews 3rd Overall in 2006 and Kane 1st Overall in 2007.

2006: Missed the playoffs (26-43-13)
2007: Missed the playoffs (31-42-9)
2008: Missed the playoffs (40-34-8)
2009: Lost in 3rd Round (46-24-12)
2010: Won Stanley Cup

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bratt is sizably better than Mercer. By a massive amount right now.
This take completely ignores special teams contributions.

Our PP, which Bratt is a big part of, has been abysmal. It's been a drain on the team. Meanwhile Mercer plays a significant role on a PK which has been good, especially good after those first couple games vs the Rags.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think if I had to order the players (top 5 and further 5) that were off my expectations of effectiveness vs. their reality of play this playoffs - with #1 being the most off:

Most off expectations:
1) Bratt (least effective per expectations - not that he has almost no goals, but it doesn't seem like he adapted his game a single bit and can't help anywhere it seems to make a tangible difference).
2) Dougie (He had the good OT goal in round 1, but otherwise very ineffective offensively. Maybe "OK" defense game at best. Given he is our star defenseman this is very disappointing and I expected a hell of a lot more control and ownership of the flow of the offensive rush game and some more points, like we had seen all regular season)
3) Vitek (you can order this maybe higher or lower depending how you view him - overall shock factor from regular season play)
4) Tatar (basically as ineffective as Bratt, he has history of this -- but I didn't know that, so I expected more given his regular season was pretty stellar per expectations).
5) Meier (hard working, expected more goals/points, mostly hoping for a bit more impact production wise, can't say he has been bad overall because he's doing a few other things like taking a beating for the team.)

Slightly further down the list of concerns would be:
6) Graves (not as effective as regular season, maybe he was nursing injury even before Carolina injury, but he had some rough games)
7) Nico (Mainly GOALS lack of goals. Otherwise, he's played a pretty solid game overall, tied for 2nd in team playoff points [with Palat] behind Hughes. Racked up some decent primary assists, plays the hard mins. The lack of goals put a moderate damper on what would otherwise be a very solid playoff showing.)
8) Hughes (Points leader, so probably all good, but not as effective as maybe anticipated. He did well at times, but other times looked a bit like Rookie Jack.)
9) Mercer (maybe its stupid to have him here, but I was hoping to see more. Its probably on me for stupid expectations but oh well, his regular season was really nice.)
10) Palat (started out slow, but mostly came on strong as both series went along, tied for 2nd with Nico in playoff points. I think he can probably fall off the list just about.)

____

On the flip side.....

Biggest surprises (so far) per original expectations:
A) McLeod by far (dude has found an extra 2 playoff gears. that was totally unexpected)
B) Haula (well, maybe our super fans expected this [myself included], but to be honest it is really nice to see his game in both these series)
C) Schmid (we kinda expected he'd be decent, but not that good in Round 1)
D) Severson - mostly solid, maybe this was expected, but he was pretty consistent both series (not bad Sev like)
E) Luke (better than expected, to me at least, but small sample size. That doesn't mean he had a good game 4 though)

Still at least one more game to change the optics! Hoping the team can pile a few more decent games together and I can re-calibrate this list.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The Hawks did it pretty quick but even they, to your point, had to learn.

They drafted Toews 3rd Overall in 2006 and Kane 1st Overall in 2007.

2006: Missed the playoffs (26-43-13)
2007: Missed the playoffs (31-42-9)
2008: Missed the playoffs (40-34-8)
2009: Lost in 3rd Round (46-24-12)
2010: Won Stanley Cup

Should note Toews and Kane didn’t join until the 2007-2008 season. Toews played his D+1 season (2007) in college.

Reactions: Devs3cups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad