Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If Danielson is heading to Grand Rapids for the remainder of the playoffs, I would expect an announcement sometime today. I don't think he would be out of place centering the second line.
Id expect him to replace Lombardi on the fourth line. Kasper is second line center, no way they do anything on top 6

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't think sending him to GR is the way to go.. he has played alot of hockey the last 10 months...

Give him a summer strength and conditioning program and tell him to be ready for camp...
This is probably the prudent strategy. At the same time, Nate strikes me as the type of player who would try to play every game he possibly could, so it wouldn't surprise me if he begged to at least meet the team and staff in Grand Rapids...and then once he was there, kept trying to leverage and push his luck at each step to at least get a game or two in.

Now it's entirely possible that they introduce him to the Griffins and then shut him down. But I'm not ruling anything out just yet.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Nguyen definitely has a little jump in his game and elusive with quick stops and turns. Also pretty feisty. But he's going to be 20 in August and probably go undrafted for the third time.

The thing about Nguyen and some other guys who stood out in playoffs is that it shows again how much age matters in Junior hockey. The older guys dominate. A player you didn't know much about catches your eye, like Nguyen and Mori for Portland or Calvert, Schuurman and Rysavy (a bigger guy who can really skate) for MJ, and then check their page and find out they're already 20-plus or soon will be.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This is probably the prudent strategy. At the same time, Nate strikes me as the type of player who would try to play every game he possibly could, so it wouldn't surprise me if he begged to at least meet the team and staff in Grand Rapids...and then once he was there, kept trying to leverage and push his luck at each step to at least get a game or two in.

Now it's entirely possible that they introduce him to the Griffins and then shut him down. But I'm not ruling anything out just yet.
100%

And at just 19 he is full of energy...just to avoid injury through exhaustion I'd say no but tell him to be ready for Sept..

I think he makes team, plays on 2nd line with Compher and UFA forward(not Kane)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Nguyen definitely has a little jump in his game and elusive with quick stops and turns. Also pretty feisty. But he's going to be 20 in August and probably go undrafted for the third time.

The thing about Nguyen and some other guys who stood out in playoffs is that it shows again how much age matters in Junior hockey. The older guys dominate. A player you didn't know much about catches your eye, like Nguyen and Mori for Portland or Calvert, Schuurman and Rysavy (a bigger guy who can really skate) for MJ, and then check their page and find out they're already 20-plus or soon will be.

I get the age argument and partially agree. In Nguyen’s case he was super small in his d and d+1. Still small now, but less so. He’s got a great motor and pretty good hands. I think he’d have scored more if he was on the first line instead of 2nd/3rd.

He seems like someone that could be a bottom line PK type. Maybe just an AHL guy, but there might be more to his game. It would still be worth the shot. Start him in Toledo and see how it goes.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I get the age argument and partially agree. In Nguyen’s case he was super small in his d and d+1. Still small now, but less so. He’s got a great motor and pretty good hands. I think he’d have scored more if he was on the first line instead of 2nd/3rd.

He seems like someone that could be a bottom line PK type. Maybe just an AHL guy, but there might be more to his game. It would still be worth the shot. Start him in Toledo and see how it goes.

Played mostly with Danielson on technically Portland's second line but obviously best line. Yeah there's nothing wrong with using a really late pick on Nguyen. He'd probably do well in ECHL and there might even be a Hirose level upside. I'd rather use even late picks on guys who have some physical projection ahead of them that might give them a chance . Nguyen's not going to get any bigger. But sure, if he's picked he'd be a good guy to follow just to find out and he has some skill, unlike many late picks.

Reactions: lilidk

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Or... just sign him? Or do people think he's not getting through the draft again?

That's what we did with Doucet...

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't think sending him to GR is the way to go.. he has played alot of hockey the last 10 months...

Give him a summer strength and conditioning program and tell him to be ready for camp...

If nothing else there is probably some value in having him around GR as a Black Ace. He can go about this summer training program while getting exposure/skating with Pros.

I think he is probably capable of jumping into the AHL playoffs but building strength and preparing for next season is probably his top priority

Last edited:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If nothing else there is probably some value in having him around GR as a Black Ace. He can go about this summer training program while getting exposure/skating with Pros.

I think he is probably capable of jumping into the AHL playoffs agree but building strength and preparing for next season is probably his top priority
Everybody talks about how important it is for these kids to get playoff experience. Perfect opportunity for Danielson. He is a kid that should be able to handle a few more weeks of hockey.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I am all for him going to GR now. I think it would be good for his development, and I have to admit I am curious to see how he would do.

We don't know if he has any lingering injuries etc. If so, he should start his off season.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

He's 19 and listed at 5'10" 180lbs which makes him heavier than Mazur. Nguyen too small, but Mazur is ready for the NHL.... OK.

Might as well throw a 7th rounder at him if he's still available, we don't really need another Owen Mehlenbacher (4pts in 26 games at UWi)

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
We'll find out soon enough what the plans are for Nate, but a best-of-5 playoff series is not really a great time to experiment with a new player and see how it goes, especially when what you've already got is working. If Luff is too injured to play, maybe he can be fit in at RW to allow them to go 12-6 again, but it is probably going to depend on practices and primarily his own physical readiness. Do we know if he's even in Milwaukee?

There's value in Nate being with the team and getting to know other players and staff, etc.. I have a hard time seeing him playing unless they advance to the next round and he's had a bit more time to get acclimated to things.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Or... just sign him? Or do people think he's not getting through the draft again?

That's what we did with Doucet...

I wouldn't be surprised if a team picks him with a late round pick. I've seen overagers with less upside picked in the draft.

Plus the kid's from Calgary, so if he winds up undrafted, he's more likely to try out with his home team than Detroit.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
What are these NHL playoffs teaching us? That you don't need HOF superstar forwards to compete. Teams with depth, gritty forwards, and lower cap hit on their top 6 is proving to dominating the playoffs. Leafs are out and Oilers are about to get bounced (by a team with strong deep team depth).

Rangers have one expensive winger: panarin
Boston has: Pastrnak
Panthers: Barkov

I attribute this to drafting good center 2-way players; Danielson, Larkin, Kassper (to a lesser extent) is enough to set Detroit up. They need a star winger that can produce a 100 points, and they'll need good defensive depth and a clutch goalie.

The idea is Danielson is HUGE for the rebuild. Cossa is HUGE for the rebuild and Detroit's defense prospects are the best in the league. Yzerman is building grit and toughness (Kasper, Mazur) and a he could well be on his way to building one of the best bottom 6 depth in the league.

My post isn't so much exclusively about Danielson, but how Nate adds to depth and winning culture that Yzerman is clearly building.

Positive things are on the rise in HockeyTown.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I think practicing with GR and experiencing their playoff run is enough for Danielson.

Having a 19 year old's first pro game happen when his new team is deep in the playoffs could do more harm than good for the player.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad