Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - playoff edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think experience has a lot to do with it, and it causes problems in many different ways.

Maybe you look to add some cycle guys to replace Wood or Tatar, but I don't think you should be making major wholesale changes to the roster.

Bratt and Timo should be resigned unless negotiations go sideways
I think these playoffs are giving the Devils the opportunity to lock these guys up at decent deals.

Tatar is a bit different because he is older and has had numerous playoff flops already. I'd like to bring him back on the cheap if only for his reg season contributions, but Bratt and Meier I think are core guys despite their underperformance in these playoffs.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Wood back either.

I'm just not lookin to change things much. Integrate the young guys and continue to build from within.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
A 25 year old RFA is not the same as a 30 year old with 1 year remaining before UFA. I also don't see how the standard of contending teams re-signing their star RFAs is immaterial to Bratt's situation considering that's the same situation that he and the Devils are facing.

Their contracts are the same situation. Both guaranteed one year, both can be extended whenever. Both will be unrestricted free agents after the next year. Contractually, they are the same.

Easy, because those people are not these people, therefore those situations are not this situation.

PLD is in the same situation as Bratt...would you sell Jets fans on that same precedent? Of course not. Everyone is pretty confident he's not sticking around Winnipeg. Situations, desires, all that shit varies from person to person. Parise bailing on the devils has no impact on whether or not Bratt will, just like PLD won't. With one year left, none of us can say for sure that Persson isn't just telling his client to go to arb and hit the big open market the following year when the cap is expected to make it's first real jump in years.

Even if you think Bratt could be traded, trading him for a 30 year old with 1 year remaining is a terrible use of his value. The only way a trade would make sense would be for a similarly aged or younger forward that can replace or come close to replacing his production.

Trade value is a different conversation. A late-middle first round pick + a good prospect is probably the baseline of a Bratt trade. If we traded something like that for Hellebuyck, I don't really have that much of an issue.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I wasn't sure where the convo regarding Luke and Nemec started.

I've been wary of throwing Luke into the playoff fire, and I think we've seen why in his limited minutes thus far. And I def wouldn't look to throw 2 rook's with no NHL experience onto a playoff lineup.

But to start next season? I'm not completely against it. Luke is a given imo. And while I would rather see a one year stop gap in place of Nemec, that is in large part because I like the depth a one year stop gap provides. I figure that is the way we go, but if they go both Luke and Nemec than that's cool too. It's not like those guys will drag the team out of a playoff spot.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Bratt around 7.5 for 8 years is a fantastic deal and would of been done by now.

Wonder if the poo playoffs gets him there.

Just my own gut feeling, but I really don't feel like Bratt has a ton of interest in a 7-8 year contract. I think we'd have to overpay for that. Ultimately, we will see....but I've kind of kept expecting the sweet spot for Bratt to come in the 4 year mark. It allows him to hit the market again for his age 29 season and I think there's a good chance that he could still load up with a 6 or 7 year deal at that point if he's still flying around as a ppg winger (which I have no reason to expect he won't given that term overlaps nicely for him with all the other good players on the team)

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
I think these playoffs are giving the Devils the opportunity to lock these guys up at decent deals.

Tatar is a bit different because he is older and has had numerous playoff flops already. I'd like to bring him back on the cheap if only for his reg season contributions, but Bratt and Meier I think are core guys despite their underperformance in these playoffs.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Wood back either.

I'm just not lookin to change things much. Integrate the young guys and continue to build from within.

I think ultimately Bratt & Timo are back at around a combined 17m.

For most of the year, I did expect Tatar back, but I've kind of flipped on that unless he's giving a steep discount. You just can't pay him what we are paying him now...not when we have already been squeezing out a guy like Sharangovich. If we want, I think we can give Rango another 2 year deal similar to what he's making and I think he'll take it and just walk it to free agency after the next two years.

i know the team loves Wood, but I just don't see him back. I kind of figured that Lazar was one an addition to help fill those shoes at a very cost effective price. He obviously doesn't have the jets or the goal scoring touch, but can bring a physical level game and is far better defensively at the bottom of the lineup. Between him and likely putting Foote full time with the big club (I think he loses waiver eligibility next year?) I think they will just let woody go. They are definitely going to bring Mikey back and I can't imagine that they are just going to not qualify Bastian or Boqvist or something.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just my own gut feeling, but I really don't feel like Bratt has a ton of interest in a 7-8 year contract. I think we'd have to overpay for that. Ultimately, we will see....but I've kind of kept expecting the sweet spot for Bratt to come in the 4 year mark. It allows him to hit the market again for his age 29 season and I think there's a good chance that he could still load up with a 6 or 7 year deal at that point if he's still flying around as a ppg winger (which I have no reason to expect he won't given that term overlaps nicely for him with all the other good players on the team)
Is he really a ppg player though? I mean, he was very close last year, but wasn't, and he was less close this year. Next year, if he's not on PP1? He almost certainly won't be.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Is he really a ppg player though? I mean, he was very close last year, but wasn't, and he was less close this year. Next year, if he's not on PP1? He almost certainly won't be.

He's .92 ppg over the last two years which is close enough for me not to get bent out of shape if he presented himself as such in contract negotiations. He could also still be trending upward, to be honest. Those were his age 23 and 24 seasons. Fiala had 94 in 114 his age 23 and 24 seasons. Nylander 101 in 119 in comparison and they continued to trend up. I think he's entering an age that could be the height of his career. Not a lock...people evolve and grow at different rates, but wouldn't surprise me if he made another little jump next year as others have in the past.

So my expectation is that he's probably going to be about ppg player or so over the next 4, or close enough that I'm not reallly going to caer if people describe him as such. We've seen him be close to that the last two, i have no reason to suspect his game will go to shit, and the cored pieces are mostly locked up long term so I don't expect a talent drain on the team that would present a major impact to his counting totals moving forward during that term

Reactions: devilsblood

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Man we need to win tomorrow to prove doubters inside the fan base wrong
A win tomorrow probably won’t change anyone’s mind tbh.

If a franchise record setting season in points and coming back from 0-2 against the Rangers on the road isn’t enough, I doubt anything will change their minds. We could end up coming back and winning this series and if we lose in the ECF, it’s back to square one and we’re having the same discussions.

Camille the Eel

How I feel exactly. Solid post. Feels like we forget we are in Year 1 post rebuild here. I would’ve never thought this team would get to the 2nd round this year.
In September my wish list was still to be playing relevant games at Thanksgiving and Xmas time. Not to be out of it and just playing out the string at holiday time.

Reactions: Eggtimer

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

If a franchise record setting season in points and coming back from 0-2 against the Rangers on the road isn’t enough, I doubt anything will change their minds. We could end up coming back and winning this series and if we lose in the ECF, it’s back to square one and we’re having the same discussions.
Welp, how about one last oppurtunity to rub success in their face?

A win and at least a competitive game 6 would be enough for me
You've been saying it, just win the next one.

Then we take it from there (if we can pull off tomorrow night, I am very much looking for another W on Sat).

Reactions: Emperoreddy

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He's .92 ppg over the last two years which is close enough for me not to get bent out of shape if he presented himself as such in contract negotiations. He could also still be trending upward, to be honest. Those were his age 23 and 24 seasons. Fiala had 94 in 114 his age 23 and 24 seasons. Nylander 101 in 119 in comparison and they continued to trend up. I think he's entering an age that could be the height of his career. Not a lock...people evolve and grow at different rates, but wouldn't surprise me if he made another little jump next year as others have in the past.

So my expectation is that he's probably going to be about ppg player or so over the next 4, or close enough that I'm not reallly going to caer if people describe him as such. We've seen him be close to that the last two, i have no reason to suspect his game will go to shit, and the cored pieces are mostly locked up long term so I don't expect a talent drain on the team that would present a major impact to his counting totals moving forward during that term
But to my point above, he will need to be on PP1 for that to happen. It's not a lock he will be that for NJ next year. And I doubt there are many good teams he can walk onto to get that role.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I think the loss is too fresh and too bad right now for anyone to do a retrospective of the season and look back with fondness.

In a few months it'll change. But in the midst of getting our teeth kicked in it's hard to be appreciative.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think the loss is too fresh and too bad right now for anyone to do a retrospective of the season and look back with fondness.

In a few months it'll change. But in the midst of getting our teeth kicked in it's hard to be appreciative.

Why a win tomorrow would be a nice pallete cleanser

Camille the Eel

To stay competitive these days a team needs its core and then some companion pieces cheap - Carolina for instance reinventing Noesen - but generally you can also do it with young guys on entry level contracts. For that you need draft choices and we may want to move guys to restock on some draft picks. We gave up a lot of draft capital to get Meier here, plus Ohk and plus Z. We may want to restore some balance at the farm level.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I believe they can do it
It’s easy.

Win the next game because you made the most recent adjustment and they get a little shocked at the push back.

Win the next game because you have home cooking and you won’t let the season end at home.

Win the 7th game because now you’ve got the momentum and they’re on their heels.

Such a simple blueprint to follow. Definitely a greater than ~10% chance of happening. :sarcasm: If there is any chance greater than 0% then it’s more fun to believe until it hits 0%.

Reactions: Dialamo and My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
But to my point above, he will need to be on PP1 for that to happen. It's not a lock he will be that for NJ next year. And I doubt there are many good teams he can walk onto to get that role.

For sure...and that is 100% something that Fitz / Ruff / Brunette and whomever have to discuss. This should already be a point if it's something that has a legit shot at happening. Because Bratt's not taking a discount under the guise that he's not going to be a PP1 player...so at that rate, if you're fitz, are you committing to the guy paying market rate for a 55-60 ES point guy who may add 9-10 pp points if you pull him from the top ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad