Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I think this may get done tomorrow. Today didn’t make sense as it is a game day for us and the team doesn’t have the extra bodies. Obviously the Sharks to want to overshadow the Marleau stuff on their end.

greggers

Oct 8, 2020
Carolina might have the best blueline and among the best groups of wingers in the East. They're solid in goal and have an excellent 1C and 3C in Aho and Staal. But every team to win a Cup in the past decade has been very strong in the top 2 centers, and Kotkaniemi is one of the 3 or 4 weakest 2Cs in the entirety of the NHL. He's just not very good offensively, and the fact he can't even produce playing prime minutes with wingers like Svechnikov, Necas and Jarvis is borderline baffling.

So, I absolutely agree with you here. I feel Carolina might have been the Cup favorite both last year and this year if they didn't make the "F**k You Montreal" signing of Kotkaniemi which cost them a 1st round pick and Trocheck for sure, and possibly also Dougie Hamilton. We also need to keep in mind that the Hurricanes replaced Hamilton with Tony DeAngelo, whose porously godawful play was instrumental in Carolina being upset by the Rangers in last year's playoffs.

It's interesting to think how much Carolina's absurd acquisition of Kotkaniemi has been a benefit to their division rival New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils. In addition to DeAngelo's helping of the Rangers in last year's playoffs, Trocheck would likely still be in Carolina if not for Kotkaniemi, while Kotkaniemi's terrible contract certainly was at least a factor in both Hamilton leaving the Hurricanes and joining the Devils. All this for a borderline 3rd/4th line center?

Ultimately, the Hurricanes are going to have to realize their mistake and acquire a 2C if they want to win a cup. I felt they would have gone stronger after Horvat and O'Reilly. It doesn't look as if St. Louis is trading Schenn. Maybe they could go after Henrique or Schmaltz, but both of those guys are far from elite options for your 2C.
lol, yeah. Hilarious collateral consequences for that petty move that was totally forced by their moron owner because he didn't want to pay Aho. I don't know who they target now. JT Miller?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If the Zetterlund scratching is Timo related, that would be too bad. In the end, I know we are getting a damn good player but I was beginning to fall in love with Zetterlund

I'm just glad he's in SJ where we can admire from afar if/when it happens, but man it would suck.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If the Zetterlund scratching is Timo related, that would be too bad. In the end, I know we are getting a damn good player but I was beginning to fall in love with Zetterlund
Zetterlund, Holtz and 2023 1st is a pretty fair deal for Meier from both ends.

Losing Zetterlund would hurt, but Meier would push a lot of players down the line-up. I'd guess Hischier would center Meier and Mercer while Hughes would skate between Palat and Bratt, with Tatar dropping down to a 3rd line role with Sharangovich and Haula. Then again, NJ coaching does tend to flip the combinations a bunch.

I suppose we'll have to hang tight awhile longer and wait to see what happens.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Zetterlund, Holtz and 2023 1st is a pretty fair deal for Meier from both ends.

Losing Zetterlund would hurt, but Meier would push a lot of players down the line-up. I'd guess Hischier would center Meier and Mercer while Hughes would skate between Palat and Bratt, with Tatar dropping down to a 3rd line role with Sharangovich and Haula. Then again, NJ coaching does tend to flip the combinations a bunch.

I suppose we'll have to hang tight awhile longer and wait to see what happens.

I’d rather not have Holtz AND Zetterlund in that deal together. Really hurts our RW depth. If it’s Zetterlund, my guess is one of the D prospects will be included as opposed to Holtz.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah, really like the game Zetterlund plays. Great to add some size to our top 6 with Timo, but need some bodies that can hang down low AND play the game. God knows our fourth line can’t do both.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I'm very much against TDL additions.

I'll put my bet that all teams with big additions will be out 1st round. In metro all seem to be making last minute shopping, so the one that changes their team the least wins, so that's probably Devils.
this feels like… the direct opposite of the truth lol.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I'm very much against TDL additions.

I'll put my bet that all teams with big additions will be out 1st round. In metro all seem to be making last minute shopping, so the one that changes their team the least wins, so that's probably Devils.
Colorado made 4 moves at the trade deadline last year. 3 of those moves can be considered “big”, including Lehkonen and Josh Manson.

Tampa added Cleasson and Savard in 2021.

Tampa built an entire third line in 2020.

This post is so obviously the opposite of the truth lol.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not going to claim any inside information on this -- everyone I've texted in the hockey media seems to be speculating just as much as we are -- but I've been around hockey long enough to know that Meier and Zetterlund both being "healthy" scratches tonight is strongly indicative of... well, something.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Everyone seems to be sure that Holtz is included in the package, but it could also be that its Zetterlund/Holtz, Muk/Casey, 1st+

Theres always a chance that team doesnt like certain prospects for whatever reason.
SJS might want to reunite the Eklund - Holtz combo that existed in Djurgardens.

Reactions: Mgd31

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Man if devils can land Timo and it costs zutterland say a first and some other prospect (doubt holtz) and don’t think devils will give up on muk. That is a massive steal and a sign they are serious about winning now

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I'm not going to claim any inside information on this -- everyone I've texted in the hockey media seems to be speculating just as much as we are -- but I've been around hockey long enough to know that Meier and Zetterlund both being "healthy" scratches tonight is strongly indicative of... well, something.
meier is not a healthy scratch. he carries an injury designstion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad