Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Ugggh….is this legit source?

View attachment 656724
iu

greggers

Oct 8, 2020
I'll completely speculate that maybe SJ was willing to take the 2x 1sts + Prospect, but Timo wouldn't extend with STL.

Just purely based on timing. Weird to see it "heating up" right after STL drops out.
Yeah, I can't see Timo eager to extend with a non-playoff team, and Thomas is great but he is not Jack Hughes.

Would not surprise me if SJ preferred STL's package with two 1sts over ours. Holtz has warts/red flags, Muk is a bit of an unknown, and Casey is small... picks let you draft guys you actually want.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm beginning to think we should trade Holtz to someone else for a 1st and flip it to SJ for Meier. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a 1st+

greggers

Oct 8, 2020
I'm beginning to think we should trade Holtz to someone else for a 1st and flip it to SJ for Meier. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a 1st+
Maybe flip Severson for a 1st and trade a lesser prospect/pick for a depth D. I’m sure his agent would like him to be traded somewhere he’d play more and maybe be offered an extension.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Maybe flip Severson for a 1st and trade a lesser prospect/pick for a depth D. I’m sure his agent would like him to be traded somewhere he’d play more and maybe be offered an extension.
Severson can make money by being a team that goes on a deep run.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
El Nino traded from Preds to Jets
Interesting to see what else the Preds move.
Id like Jeannot as a Wood replacement.
Oh and toss in Saros for a filler.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
According to Chris Johnston, he believes the canes upped their offer for Meier in the past 24 hours

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think we're talking past each other, as I agree with most of what you're saying. I'm not suggesting SJ would put Timo in the driver's seat or in any way impair their (however real or illusory) leverage -- they're gonna take the best deal they can get regardless of what Timo's plans are. What I'm saying is if the best deal they can get is contingent on Timo extending -- which it probably, but not necessarily, is -- they're going to want to know ahead of time whether Timo might actually extend with the teams they're talking to.

Timo's $10M QO gives him a degree of power/freedom most RFAs do not have. If he has a place he wants to go, it's much easier for him sign his QO (or do what Tkachuk did) and go to UFA than it is for someone like Bratt with a $5.45M QO. The extra $9M in Timo's pocket over those two years is pretty decent insurance policy in the unlikely event he has a meaningful injury or regresses.
I know he already has power but the second you start asking him where he wants to go you’re giving him more leverage and power and really putting him in control. They’ve been playing this off as if they aren’t necessarily gonna trade him but are exploring it. As soon as they start asking him where he’s wants to go they’re essentially telling him they’re almost certainly gonna trade him and telling him he has control in that.

You also have to think about how this originates. They can’t agree on an extension and Timo wants to leave. Their response to that isn’t gonna be okay where do you want to go then. It’s gonna be okay. And then they start exploring trades and if there’s acceptable one then his potential extension becomes part of the conversation.

They’re very clearly putting their acceptable return first and then Timo and the team that meets the price can figure out a contract. I think they’re very likely doing that behind closed doors with Timo too.

greggers

Oct 8, 2020
Think CAR is all smoke. They know they won't win shit without a #2 C and they're gonna burn their best assets and available cap on another wing? Cheap owner doesn't help, either. Emily Kaplan I think nailed it the other day when she said, "They're monitoring Kane and Meier, but I wouldn't be surprised if their acquisition is an off-the-radar player with term."

Reactions: Eggtimer

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Niederreiter acquisition is an absolutely terrific deal for Winnipeg. The Jets have a very legitimate chance to come out of the West this year.

Unfortunately, it's bad news for the Devils, as Niederreiter would have been a great, lower-cost Plan B if the Devils were unable to acquire Meier. I still like the idea of kicking the tires on Boone Jenner, whether or not a Meier deal comes to fruition. That's a very solid, versatile and physical player no one really talks about.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I was trying to find a rythm when I read it

Not surprising

We agree on Jarvis and first
CAN`T HEAR YOU, MARLEAU DAY!
What? *call the blues to trade first pick plus for Buchnevich*

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Think CAR is all smoke. They know they won't win shit without a #2 C and they're gonna burn their best assets and available cap on another wing? Cheap owner doesn't help, either. Emily Kaplan I think nailed it the other day when she said, "They're monitoring Kane and Meier, but I wouldn't be surprised if their acquisition is an off-the-radar player with term."
Carolina might have the best blueline and among the best groups of wingers in the East. They're solid in goal and have an excellent 1C and 3C in Aho and Staal. But every team to win a Cup in the past decade has been very strong in the top 2 centers, and Kotkaniemi is one of the 3 or 4 weakest 2Cs in the entirety of the NHL. He's just not very good offensively, and the fact he can't even produce playing prime minutes with wingers like Svechnikov, Necas and Jarvis is borderline baffling.

So, I absolutely agree with you here. I feel Carolina might have been the Cup favorite both last year and this year if they didn't make the "F**k You Montreal" signing of Kotkaniemi which cost them a 1st round pick and Trocheck for sure, and possibly also Dougie Hamilton. We also need to keep in mind that the Hurricanes replaced Hamilton with Tony DeAngelo, whose porously godawful play was instrumental in Carolina being upset by the Rangers in last year's playoffs.

It's interesting to think how much Carolina's absurd acquisition of Kotkaniemi has been a benefit to their division rival New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils. In addition to DeAngelo's helping of the Rangers in last year's playoffs, Trocheck would likely still be in Carolina if not for Kotkaniemi, while Kotkaniemi's terrible contract certainly was at least a factor in both Hamilton leaving the Hurricanes and joining the Devils. All this for a borderline 3rd/4th line center?

Ultimately, the Hurricanes are going to have to realize their mistake and acquire a 2C if they want to win a cup. I felt they would have gone stronger after Horvat and O'Reilly. It doesn't look as if St. Louis is trading Schenn. Maybe they could go after Henrique or Schmaltz, but both of those guys are far from elite options for your 2C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad