Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah the two consecutive middle of the week games against tampa is incredibly dumb. will prob try to score cheap good seats for the tuesday though

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I would like to see us stock back up on forward prospects in the next draft given 4 of our top 5 prospects are D. The current wave of Zetterlund, Thompson, Clarke, Foote, and Boqvist are all kind of reaching that point where you don't expect any more big leaps forward.

Draft picks should be used to acquire legit nhl caliber players team doesn’t need anymore chase stillmans and they shouldn’t be in a position to be drafting a Luke hughes. They have a core in place surround them with legit nhl talent veterans. Not a kid who might or might not make the team in 5 years.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Provorov isn't having a good year (for multiple reasons), but he's been a solid 2nd pairing + defenseman his entire career, while the Devils drafted a low-effort low-event bottom-6 forward.

And yeah, Barzal woulda been great. Or Meier. Or Rantanen. Or Werenski. Or Connor. Or TK.
Rantanen is the obvious choice. Werenski if we talk about D

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Provorov isn't having a good year (for multiple reasons), but he's been a solid 2nd pairing + defenseman his entire career, while the Devils drafted a low-effort low-event bottom-6 forward.

And yeah, Barzal woulda been great. Or Meier. Or Rantanen. Or Werenski. Or Connor. Or TK.

Just remember that Boston could have drafted Barzal, Chabot and Kyle Connor, but drafted two AHLers and a middle six winger instead.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Draft picks should be used to acquire legit nhl caliber players team doesn’t need anymore chase stillmans and they shouldn’t be in a position to be drafting a Luke hughes. They have a core in place surround them with legit nhl talent veterans. Not a kid who might or might not make the team in 5 years.
Scout who was working with OHL, was fired. Mcleod, Smith, Stillman. There are no man who promoted them. People should stop crying about it.
Would be great to trade 1st pick for the legit nhler, but if someone will pay bigger price for our targets, it`s nowhere the end of the world to draft even late first rounder in this year. Devils were good with middle second rounder year ago.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Scout who was working with OHL, was fired. Mcleod, Smith, Stillman. There are no man who promoted them. People should stop crying about it.
Would be great to trade 1st pick for the legit nhler, but if someone will pay bigger price for our targets, it`s nowhere the end of the world to draft even late first rounder in this year. Devils were good with middle second rounder year ago.

Ty was WHL

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
With hindsight sure but that's not how you should be evaluating things
Of course, but somehow Brazal sneaked. And Rantanen didn`t. For me obvious pick was Werenski. I think franchise should start to build from defense if we have no obvious reasons, they take more time. And on my taste Zacha wasn`t. Like Mcleod wasn`t year after.

Ty was WHL
Will still remain confident that the same scout was responsible for that peak. (apparently he wasn't)

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Picks are just as important as when they were during the rebuild. You need cheap ELC players to plug in when you’re up against the cap, as we will be when Bratt gets paid (and/or Meier gets brought in).

You need to constantly be refilling the cupboard because you can’t keep everyone and depth matters. Trading all your picks at the start of a competitive window is dumb.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Do they have a true core in place? They have two centers and a defender signed long term. I’d like two wings and one more defender. I’m confident one or both of Luke and Nemec become the defender we hope but I’m not sure Bratt extends with NJ and who is even remotely close to his ability at wing? The team is getting by with a bunch of complementary players this season. It’s not hopeless but I think they still have some roster work to do.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Do they have a true core in place? They have two centers and a defender signed long term. I’d like two wings and one more defender. I’m confident one or both of Luke and Nemec become the defender we hope but I’m not sure Bratt extends with NJ and who is even remotely close to his ability at wing? The team is getting by with a bunch of complementary players this season. It’s not hopeless but I think they still have some roster work to do.

I mean they have Marino for another 4 years. Siegs for another 5. On the backend the core is definitely in place. Up front I'd say it's mostly in place (once you get Bratt done). Jack, Bratt, Nico then Mercer should be another piece of the core. I think we all know they need one more high end winger. I think that's really the only true hole in the core.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I mean they have Marino for another 4 years. Siegs for another 5. On the backend the core is definitely in place. Up front I'd say it's mostly in place (once you get Bratt done). Jack, Bratt, Nico then Mercer should be another piece of the core. I think we all know they need one more high end winger. I think that's really the only true hole in the core.
Third line center with potential to play top-6 role if Nico\Jack hurts. For now I`m completely ok with Haula, but I don`t think it`s a long story.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Third line center with potential to play top-6 role if Nico\Jack hurts. For now I`m completely ok with Haula, but I don`t think it`s a long story.

I mean we have Mercer who is likely going to be a top 6 wing who will fill in for Jack/Nico.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I mean we have Mercer who is likely going to be a top 6 wing who will fill in for Jack/Nico.
I liked Mercer before the draft and liked him after more than Holtz. But I never liked idea to use him as center. For now he is bad nhl center. May be he will progress him positional game, but "may be" is working for Filmon and Gritsyuk, I can`t pencil Mercer as good third line center\potential top-6 protection center.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hopefully. I’d feel better if Bratt was signed already.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
Have we all finally put to bed the notion that Bratt is resigning with the Devils for less than Jack? Honestly, I’d be perfectly fine with him getting that Horvat deal.

I think it can be argued that Bratt is more deserving of that contract than Horvat was.

I also don’t think Fitz would scoff at 8.5 for Bratt as that seems to be the current going rate for his caliber of a forward.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Have we all finally put to bed the notion that Bratt is resigning with the Devils for less than Jack? Honestly, I’d be perfectly fine with him getting that Horvat deal.

I think the majority here accepted it a while ago. A think a lot of us have said we'd like 8.5 for Bratt (and matching with Meier). A decent portion were probably already willing to give him slightly more last offseason. Now Twitter on the other hand is a completely different story lol. I think they're going to lose their minds if you even give Bratt 64 mil and 1 cent.

I think it can be argued that Bratt is more deserving of that contract than Horvat was.

I also don’t think Fitz would scoff at 8.5 for Bratt as that seems to be the current going rate for his caliber of a forward.

lol I don't really know how you could make an argument with any merit that Horvat's more worthy. You could say cEnTeR but Bratt's proven time and time again he can drive a line to great success from the wing

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
I think the majority here accepted it a while ago. A think a lot of us have said we'd like 8.5 for Bratt (and matching with Meier). A decent portion were probably already willing to give him slightly more last offseason. Now Twitter on the other hand is a completely different story lol. I think they're going to lose their minds if you even give Bratt 64 mil and 1 cent.

lol I don't really know how you could make an argument with any merit that Horvat's more worthy. You could say cEnTeR but Bratt's proven time and time again he can drive a line to great success from the wing

Yea Horvat being a center but also this “career year” he is having would be a higher high than Bratt has generated thus far, plus let’s add in leadership and “intangibles” and it’s not a crazy argument to make.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Picks are just as important as when they were during the rebuild. You need cheap ELC players to plug in when you’re up against the cap, as we will be when Bratt gets paid (and/or Meier gets brought in).

You need to constantly be refilling the cupboard because you can’t keep everyone and depth matters. Trading all your picks at the start of a competitive window is dumb.

Yeah but you run the risk of drafting duds which later in the first is more likely then not. Don’t worry about refilling the cupboard worry about winning a cup

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yea Horvat being a center but also this “career year” he is having would be a higher high than Bratt has generated thus far, plus let’s add in leadership and “intangibles” and it’s not a crazy argument to make.

You can say it isn't crazy but it's certainly a very very wrong argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad