Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Some guys I would be interested in signing this offseason for the middle 6: Foegele, Stephenson, Debrusk, Mantha, Sprong, Heinen, Wennberg, Teravainen

I also still would be interested in trading assets for a guy like Chychrun.
I would also add Henrique and Noesen to the mix. Think it’s probably important to have one more C/W too to have some flexibility on where to slot Haula and keep Lazar on L4. My ideal off-season would be adding Henrique + Trenin for that reason.

I’d pass on Sprong, if we were going to go after him, just keep Holtz who is a near identical and cheaper player and could probably fulfill that same role next year. I’d rather add guys like Trenin or Duhaime to the bottom six.

Chychrun is an intriguing option, but feel like it only makes sense if Bahl or Siegenthaler are going the other way in a deal.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Sad Vitek makes me sad also.

Feel bad for the guy.

I saw this earlier today, I had the same reaction. I think he knew that he had a big part of the torpedo this year and feels responsible to the locker room somewhat. Think of just a year ago, he was the 1A of this team finally breaking through. Us making memes about the hibachi stuff, etc. Just a calendar year later, he's on SJ in rebuilding purgatory.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
May as well start the rebuild now if you hire Green since he'll waste all of our top guys' primes

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Nasreddine was also a serious candidate after that year until Ruff was fired.

Fitz even said himself that Nasreddine was still a serious candidate and in the mix.

LeBrun article from 4/21/20:
Let me be clear in saying that interim head coach Alain Nasreddine is a legitimate candidate to keep the job. However, sources have also confirmed that recently the Devils have started conducting interviews with other candidates, including a virtual chat last week with Gerard Gallant.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
The difference between making or missing the playoffs this season will always be Vitek. He was terrible.

I have little sympathy for him no-showing all the post games this year and leaving the skaters and Ruff to answer all the questions about his poor play every night. I'm sure I'll get over it, but he really rubbed me the wrong way this year. And he seemed to rub at least some of the players the wrong way, with Jack's ''We win when we get saves'' comment in a game Daws played.

That said, that quote was taken a bit out of context by James Nichols. Sharks beat writer Sheng Peng had the same quote, but followed it up with saying he said that with a smile and went on to say that he plays for San Jose now.

The Nichols quote makes it appear that he possibly said this in a snide way, which I don't believe he did. If you just look at that quote though, it would make you believe he might have said it in a way that he didn't say it in.

My first thought was ''HOLY SHIT! VITEK GAVE AN INTERVIEW?!''.

Nichols has been doing this for a while. The twitterification of news media

Reactions: Guadana

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
My golden retrievers are going to your house for some burgers. They said they enjoy a good lamb burger and nobody here has fed them for weeks. They said this as they were eating dinner.

My dogs are always complaining about not being fed, to anyone who will listen. They also forget the conversation they're having mid-conversation, and re-start, like a weird TikTok loop . "Hi! I'm <name>! I'm hungry! I haven't been fed today. It sure seems like... HI!!! I'm <NAME!> I'm Hungry..." etc.

The boy dogs are more inane than the girl dogs. The girl dogs try it, but it's pure manipulation and then they go into the living room and lay down on the floor next to each other like fluffy white alligators watching you and everyone else deciding when to bother attacking or barking.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Stacked... maybe. Can we have a realistic depth chart by position with a cut-off of who we think will can make this team, and who might not but could make another team (e.g., NHL caliber trade piece but may not be able to break through due to others here)? I don't know why but lately I feel like we're pretty thin in most spots. What we had coming has come (with a few exceptions)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah the definition of stacked depends on whether you're A) counting guys already in the NHL and B) what age bracket you're using - and how many previous GP - if you are. They still have a lot of high-end younger players on the roster who would count if you are including guys already here.

If not, I don't know how 'stacked' we are from purely a farm perspective...Lenni, Casey and maybe Poulter (or Daws if you want to include him now that he's back in Utica)? I don't know how much else you can realistically count on besides that maybe.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Stacked... maybe. Can we have a realistic depth chart by position with a cut-off of who we think will can make this team, and who might not but could make another team (e.g., NHL caliber trade piece but may not be able to break through due to others here)? I don't know why but lately I feel like we're pretty thin in most spots. What we had coming has come (with a few exceptions)
I think stacked because the Devils have 4 legit star level players at forward and a star at defense, so that’s already over a quarter of your skaters are stars.

The Devils may have 2 more defenseman joining that group next year, which would make 7 guys playing at a star level.

Starting with 5 star level guys is already pretty stacked and there are 2 guys seemingly poised to join that group.

So even if you want to say the Devils are thinner at the bottom, they’re still stacked because the top is stacked so high.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The Devils are stacked, they have everything you need to be a consistent Cup contender. They have 2 elite centers, a defensive core that's basically set in stone. The only top 4 spot that's even open for the foreseeable future is the LHD that Siegs currently has. The top 6 is basically the same way as well. There's maybe one or two spots there that need shuffling year to year. They're in a spot where most rebuilders to contenders are in figuring out their long term identity in the bottom 6. And obviously, the goalie question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad