Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
to think both hires were mocked on this board by some same with tochett in vancouver
Tocchet never had any success in the two head coaching jobs before he got to Vancouver.

Besides the stupid Covid bubble playoffs, this will be his first ever playoff berth in how many years of coaching in the league? And now on team number three?

Why wouldn’t that hire have been mocked?

Do you know what his record was before he got to Vancouver? 178-200-60.

I definitely mocked the Torts hiring and I will still do it for the same exact reasons. Not sure why they hired Torts because they weren’t good enough to compete and should have been blowing it up. This season should have been a lottery pick and now it won’t be thanks to having him as the head coach.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I can't speak for those Flames fans on here, but I've checked the calgary puck forums here and there and they still think it's holts + first or Mercer and returns along those lines

If Markstrom now wants out and is dictating where he will go, then their return is going to be far less then what was offered at the deadline.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If Markstrom now wants out and is dictating where he will go, then their return is going to be far less then what was offered at the deadline.
Dreger said yesterday that it being the offseason plus a number goalies being available is going to drive the price down on Markstrom big time and that the Devils offer for him will be nowhere near what it was a few weeks/months ago.

I actually think we can get him without trading Holtz, Mercer, or Casey.

Reactions: HBK27

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I have a vision for next year's team and I know I am going to get yelled at for this and I do not care.

Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Bertuzzi-Hughes-Holtz
Palat-Haula-Mercer
Goote-Lazar-Bastian

MacDermid (yes, re-sign him to vet min), Halonen, Nosek? Extras

Hughes-Hamilton
Zadorov-Marino
Siegenthaler-Nemec

Markstrom
Allen

I think Tyler Bertuzzi and Nikita Zadorov would be great additions to this team. Bertuzzi is the kind of prick that can actually play hockey that we need. He's a UFA as is Zadorov.

Trade Bahl and a 1st for Markstrom.

I like this team a lot.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I have a vision for next year's team and I know I am going to get yelled at for this and I do not care.

Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Bertuzzi-Hughes-Holtz
Palat-Haula-Mercer
Goote-Lazar-Bastian

Hughes-Hamilton
Zadorov-Marino
Siegenthaler-Nemec

Markstrom
Allen

I think Tyler Bertuzzi and Nikita Zadorov would be great additions to this team. Bertuzzi is the kind of prick that can actually play hockey that we need. He's a UFA as is Zadorov.

I like this team a lot.

Ditto in liking that team, I think I'm a bit down on Bertuzzi for the simple fact that he hasn't fit as well as I thought with Matthews/Marner as I thought he would but he would be a welcome addition here. Also I would be re-missed if I didn't throw in Sprong (shoutout to @Hisch13r for the Sprong love on this board) as an addition to the middle 6/Swiss Army knife player. FWIW, I think this team goes for Saros over Markstrom unless the latter is super cheap and judging by his recent performances + comments about Calgary I legit think we can get him without giving up anyone good in a trade. Calgary blew their chance on a good return imo for him

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
to think both hires were mocked on this board by some same with tochett in vancouver

Which is wild. I get the apprehension with re-treads but Lavi and Torts both have past records of success. I certainly understand the baggage with Torts and he wears out his welcome pretty quick and only fits a certain team, usually a younger up and coming team that needs some accountability.

I don't understand any type of apprehension with Lavi. Proven track record, his teams are never easy to play against and show max effort. He preaches defensive structure and fundamental hockey.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Luke Hughes smashed through that rookie wall

GJpYIeHXMAAmzNG

Lol look at when he went back up, sums up that this team basically quit on Lindy. Timo/Luke being the most evident. Even Mercer has gotten his game back recently

Reactions: Devs3cups

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Ditto in liking that team, I think I'm a bit down on Bertuzzi for the simple fact that he hasn't fit as well as I thought with Matthews/Marner as I thought he would but he would be a welcome addition here. Also I would be re-missed if I didn't throw in Sprong (shoutout to @Hisch13r for the Sprong love on this board) as an addition to the middle 6/Swiss Army knife player. FWIW, I think this team goes for Saros over Markstrom unless the latter is super cheap and judging by his recent performances + comments about Calgary I legit think we can get him without giving up anyone good in a trade. Calgary blew their chance on a good return imo for him
I haven't paid attention to the Leafs enough but I feel like Leafs fans hated him early season but have come around.

I just think he's perfect for us because he can play anywhere and will get under the other team's skin, provide toughness, while actually chipping in offensively.

We haven't had a jerk of a player in years.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Bertuzzi-Hughes-Holtz
Palat-Haula-Mercer
Goote-Lazar-Bastian

Hughes-Hamilton
Zadorov-Marino
Siegenthaler-Nemec

Markstrom
Allen

I like this team a lot.
#1) I like this alot, BUT two things. Markstrom wont get our 1st, no shot after whats happened IMO.

#2) I feel like they will want to find someone who can take faceoffs, ala Haula to pair with Jack. Not sure if Bertuzzi can, but I love the idea of him

#3) Siegs - Dougie / Zadorov - Marino / Hughes - Nemec is my ideally 3 pairs

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Which is wild. I get the apprehension with re-treads but Lavi and Torts both have past records of success. I certainly understand the baggage with Torts and he wears out his welcome pretty quick and only fits a certain team, usually a younger up and coming team that needs some accountability.

I don't understand any type of apprehension with Lavi. Proven track record, his teams are never easy to play against and show max effort. He preaches defensive structure and fundamental hockey.

Except they're not good hires in terms of the long term, they're cut from the same cloth as DeBoer, AV, etc. They're good for a bit because they provide your team a jolt of energy and then once they sag, it becomes really bad. It's the same shit with Lindy, you see improvements in areas where they were deficient under the previous coach and then once the roster hits a wall then it's too far gone. There's a reason why Lavi, in particular, has been to so many destinations in his NHL coaching career. The Rags got the same sort of bump under Gallant and look what happened in terms of long term result.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
#1) I like this alot, BUT two things. Markstrom wont get our 1st, no shot after whats happened IMO.

#2) I feel like they will want to find someone who can take faceoffs, ala Haula to pair with Jack. Not sure if Bertuzzi can, but I love the idea of him

#3) Siegs - Dougie / Zadorov - Marino / Hughes - Nemec is my ideally 3 pairs
1. I agree. Bahl and a first I would honestly be fine with... but if it takes less, great.

2. I am so done with having to staple Haula to Hughes. If by next year, Jack can't take faceoffs... or takes them and wins 40-45% then we have to face the reality that he's a left winger and look for a center for him (Lindholm?).

3. Those pairs are fine! I'm good either way lol.

Reactions: McDuffz88

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I haven't paid attention to the Leafs enough but I feel like Leafs fans hated him early season but have come around.

I just think he's perfect for us because he can play anywhere and will get under the other team's skin, provide toughness, while actually chipping in offensively.

We haven't had a jerk of a player in years.

Yeah, I think I'd want him if he comes in at a cheap AAV and not a lot of term. But I'm not sure if he's gonna settle in UFA with his age, hopefully the mediocre year considering who he played with drops his price down. And nah, not really, the last one might be Clarkson but he was such a doofus in general. :laugh:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Bertuzzi-Hughes-Holtz
Palat-Haula-Mercer
Goote-Lazar-Bastian

Hughes-Hamilton
Zadorov-Marino
Siegenthaler-Nemec

Markstrom
Allen

I like this team a lot.
I like the Bertuzzi idea. He fits and is a realistic acquisition. Funny to think of raiding Toronto to improve team toughness.

Zadorov is a pass for me, though. I think Zadorov will cost a good bit in UFA and he's not worth it. There are a lot of #4 - #6 D who will be physical and play PK who'd cost less. Devils either need to spend on a top 4 LD or just find a cost effective way to upgrade their bottom pair LD.

Reactions: minibrodeur

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lol look at when he went back up, sums up that this team basically quit on Lindy. Timo/Luke being the most evident. Even Mercer has gotten his game back recently
Timo was starting to heat up under Lindy too to be fair, his issue was likely more health related than the off wing stuff we were debating all year though it also helps he gets to replace Toffoli on the PP and in the top six now

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I like the Bertuzzi idea. He fits and is a realistic acquisition. Funny to think of raiding Toronto to improve team toughness.

Zadorov is a pass for me, though. I think Zadorov will cost a good bit in UFA and he's not worth it. There are a lot of #4 - #6 D who will be physical and play PK who'd cost less. Devils either need to spend on a top 4 LD or just find a cost effective way to upgrade their bottom pair LD.

They've overdone it in that regard in recent years because of the whole getting bullied by Boston thing. Bertuzzi was ironically more of the mold they needed, guys who can be nasty while also being decent hockey players. Not the Ryan Reaves, Ilya Lybushkin pylon types. Devils better not make the same mistakes as Toronto which it looks like they're slightly falling into the trap themselves with

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
56% cf% prior to feb, 53.3% in Feb. 54.9% in March. Bit of a difference but is that what we are calling the rookie wall?

GA rate has been very good post Feb, and that coincides with the acquisition of the goal tending.

I'm confident he will look. But he will then have to weight the options.

Pay a bunch for Markstrom and then roll with to mid 30 year old goalies? There is a risk there too. Maybe it's a better option then Allen and Kahk, but maybe not.
CF/60CA/60CF%xGF/60xGA/60xGF%
October
66.67​
58.82​
2.79​
2.59​
51.88​
November
62.56​
56.22​
2.74​
December
2.58​
January
62.35​
57.39​
52.07​
2.85​
February
53.39​
3.14​
March
68.42​
56.15​
54.93​
2.56​
56.19​

Pretty obvious dip in his performance, particularly defensive performance, during February. Especially following his fantastic play in November and December where he was legitimately playing at a top pairing level.

The Corsi numbers in Feb look alright because he was shooting with volume. He personally had 111 shot attempts in November, 17th most by any defenseman in the league that month. He was on the ice for the 10th most unblocked shots for, but also on the ice for the 6th most unblocked shot attempts against. He was playing very high event hockey, not something you want to do with the worst goalie play in the league.

Last edited:

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Timo was starting to heat up under Lindy too to be fair, his issue was likely more health related than the off wing stuff we were debating all year though it also helps he gets to replace Toffoli on the PP and in the top six now

I'm of the mindset that most of the Timo stuff earlier in the season was not fully related to Lindy Ruff. Lindy was a small part of it, but whatever injury that was never disclosed through the first 2/3rd of the season was really impacting his ability to play the game effectively.

It's clear as day from the way he is flying around now, versus in November/December. His speed, his tenaciousness, his hitting, his drive to the net. It's all there, the full package we were expecting. Just came around too late.

If Lindy Ruff was the reason why Timo decided to play half-assed Timo mode, then that is on Timo, but I would be absolutely shocked 5x over to find that remotely true.

Lindy was a factor (LW vs. RW and linemates), but it isn't the total reason why Timo was looking like a 40 guy who couldn't skate/play hard/make moves for a good portion of the season until February.

Injury recovering is probably the most plausible and likely reason for the surge we are seeing.
Same reason (I believe) Nosek looks like a fully competent depth player now, fully engaged Nosek in March is better than whatever we saw prior to. Health. He's also tenacious and more strong on the puck, we've seen in the last 4-5 games too.

_

On that last note, if this is the real Tomas Nosek, I wouldn't mind upping him for another 1 year - particularly if Bastian is gonna be permanently injury riddled 4th liner guy.

We still need to find a replacement for McLeod and somehow decide what to do with Haula who was looked pretty uninspiring since about mid-December. He had a good Oct/Nov.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Tocchet never had any success in the two head coaching jobs before he got to Vancouver.

Besides the stupid Covid bubble playoffs, this will be his first ever playoff berth in how many years of coaching in the league? And now on team number three?

Why wouldn’t that hire have been mocked?

Do you know what his record was before he got to Vancouver? 178-200-60.

I definitely mocked the Torts hiring and I will still do it for the same exact reasons. Not sure why they hired Torts because they weren’t good enough to compete and should have been blowing it up. This season should have been a lottery pick and now it won’t be thanks to having him as the head coach.

so mock the good old boy retread hires and then mock the semi new hire who was meh in his first two tries.

again i dont know anything about coaches but going by this boards logic i certainly hope fitz doesn't think the same way

Say what you want about Torts or Laviolette, but Tocchet went into that job with a 178-200-60 career coaching record between Tampa Bay and Arizona. Plenty of reason for him to be mocked as the hire given the clown show that Vancouver was being with how they were handling firing Boudreau, a coach with a much better track record historically.

so your mocking his coaching record before the hire or your mocking the canucks for hiring him? either way seems pretty silly to me. esp if the majority of this board hates hiring retreads from the good old club.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

the best torts criticism on here was “he’ll bench hughes for playing poorly” and “bratt will have to block shots!”. as if this team doesn’t need accountability or defensive sacrifices for our goalies’ benefit :laugh:

wearing out his welcome is definitely a fair criticism though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad