Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The only time we even heard it was a shoulder was from Matt, but not really any detail about what kind of shoulder injury

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Maybe someone with better knowledge would correct this. But the way I read this this should be a pretty significant jump in cap ceiling. My knowledge is the cap ceiling is tied to the players 50/50 split in revenues.

The current 5.4 billion split half ways and divided up between all 32 teams would mean a cap ceiling of 84.735. I recall them purposely increasing the cap by only a million this year to recoup covid losses so players weren’t paying huge escrow checks.

At 6 billion, you’re looking at a 93.75 million cap ceiling. The league may go for a slower increase if they still need to recoup some covid losses, but pretty soon we’re going to start seeing the cap ceiling raise very quickly.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Graves' numbers stand out to me as much as Marino's do. It makes me really nervous to lose him. I don't really fear losing Severson and replacing him with a rookie as much (because look at his numbers here in comparison), especially a blue-chip rookie like Nemec or Hughes, but losing Graves' defensive play really does make me nervous.

It's going to be a lot to ask Luke to play in Graves spot next season. Honestly it would be ideal if he had an extra year or two on his contract.

Right side it's at least a 3rd pairing spot and not a middle pair spot, that needs filling.

Injury depth is a worry too on the right side. We would have been f***ed with Marino's injury if we didn't have Severson. I don't think Nemec will be ready to fill in if Dougie or Marino missed time next season

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Maybe someone with better knowledge would correct this. But the way I read this this should be a pretty significant jump in cap ceiling. My knowledge is the cap ceiling is tied to the players 50/50 split in revenues.

The current 5.4 billion split half ways and divided up between all 32 teams would mean a cap ceiling of 84.735. I recall them purposely increasing the cap by only a million this year to recoup covid losses so players weren’t paying huge escrow checks.

At 6 billion, you’re looking at a 93.75 million cap ceiling. The league may go for a slower increase if they still need to recoup some covid losses, but pretty soon we’re going to start seeing the cap ceiling raise very quickly.

The money the players still owe back to the owners for Covid is the mystery in the whole equation.

But ya, once the payback is complete there should be a hefty spike over the course of 1-2 offseasons.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The money the players still owe back to the owners for Covid is the mystery in the whole equation.

But ya, once the payback is complete there should be a hefty spike over the course of 1-2 offseasons.
Let’s see what happens with the likely bankruptcy of the US regional sports network parent company .

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Thats the thing with Graves that makes me want to keep him.
He's made huge improvements to his game every year of his career.

He was a throw in empty contract that the Rangers dumped off way back. Made huge improvements to make it in the NHL. First year here he cut down on the point shots which cut down on him being exposed to counterattacks. This year he upped his defensive game and those point shots are way lower.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Thats the thing with Graves that makes me want to keep him.
He's made huge improvements to his game every year of his career.

He was a throw in empty contract that the Rangers dumped off way back. Made huge improvements to make it in the NHL. First year here he cut down on the point shots which cut down on him being exposed to counterattacks. This year he upped his defensive game and those point shots are way lower.
I’d love for the Devils to keep Graves around if he wouldn’t cost too much. Considering there’s little room for Severson, letting both him and Graves walk in one off-season would be really hard to recover from.

A four year deal or so gives us one open spot on the D next year for Luke to presumably step in. Then when Smith’s deal is up at the end of next you gain another spot for Nemec, Vilen, Muk or whoever steps up. Or even sooner if one of those guys is ready.

You can never have too many good defensemen. Considering all of the young guys won’t require waivers, there’s absolutely no need to rush them.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It’s so exciting to be on the buying end of trade deadline with it rolling around shortly. Really curious to see what Fitz ends up doing.

In all honesty, this team doesn’t need much. The biggest need is clearly a little more scoring up front, either a middle-six forward or better would really round this team out.

After that, the only thing I can see would be depth options just to help to fill that gap between the NHL options and AHL options, moreso for defense than anything. Not anyone that would squeeze a player out of a roster spot, but someone to have stashed away just in case. Someone like Stetcher maybe?

I’d also have to imagine unless his career is done, Bernier has to be healthy at some point in the playoffs. I doubt he ever sees the ice, but at least you know you have a potential option there.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It's really gonna suck when he's a Ranger or Cane an one of those teams flip his RFA rights at the draft an re-coup some of what they gave up

SJ would be utterly stupid to trade him as a rental when NJ or Buffalo can give them better value with an extended Meier but hey if Grier wants to flop on a trade with the one player he can trade for a haul, be my guest. Devils can move to Buchnevich or Reinhart if Meier goes elsewhere.

Reactions: Mgd31 and Bleedred

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
getting rico (retained) and timo would really elevate this team. getting marino back will be nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad