Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I mean they can't even agree on a 1 year deal before arbitration when that is going to be the result of the hearing anyway. Fitz isn't going through this a 3rd time. Bratt is gone.

I don't think this is as big of a deal for them as it seems to be for the fans. This is what they do, they negotiate contracts for a living. I don't think it matters how many times you do it or how hard it is to come to an agreement. Only thing that matters is his trade value in relation to the chance of him signing long term and the value of him as player to the devils with a 1 year contract.

A lot of the fans are saying if he doesn't get extended ship him off immediately, but I bet Fitz is more than happy to get one more year of Bratt at 5.5m and try to negotiate again next summer.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I don't think this is as big of a deal for them as it seems to be for the fans. This is what they do, they negotiate contracts for a living. I don't think it matters how many times you do it or how hard it is to come to an agreement. Only thing that matters is his trade value in relation to the chance of him signing long term and the value of him as player to the devils with a 1 year contract.

A lot of the fans are saying if he doesn't get extended ship him off immediately, but I bet Fitz is more than happy to get one more year of Bratt at 5.5m and try to negotiate again next summer.

Well you better hope he bucks the trend and is one of the few players who go to arbitration and stay long term with the team.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I agree with you. While it’s fun to get worked up about it, I don’t think this is something that signals the end of a relationship between the two parties the way many do.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I agree with you. While it’s fun to get worked up about it, I don’t think this is something that signals the end of a relationship between the two parties the way many do.
It's more practical than emotional. Fitz may not be taking this personally, maybe even Bratt isn't taking it personally. But facts are facts, if a guy's actions are telling you he wants to max out and get to FA as soon as possible then eventually the rubber has to meet the road and you have to decide when to cash out, or roll the dice on potentially letting him walk for nothing. But if you're not going to get a long-term agreement eventually you have to consider cashing out just out of pragmatism and getting something back for him.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If we can't get Bratt on a medium to long-term, we are likely going to need to trade him after this season. Losing Bratt is a major blow, I hope we can figure things out but if we go to arb, I see it as unlikely.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
If Joakim Persson pushes Bratt to arbitration, it's all but the end of the relationship. The Devils can't risk Bratt walking to UFA and whether it's his own fault or the fault of his agent, this is now multiple difficult negotiations. The minute they walk out of that arbitration and a 1 year deal is awarded, Fitz is going to have to start considering the options for moving on without him. That's just the way it is.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
If Joakim Persson pushes Bratt to arbitration, it's all but the end of the relationship. The Devils can't risk Bratt walking to UFA and whether it's his own fault or the fault of his agent, this is now multiple difficult negotiations. The minute they walk out of that arbitration and a 1 year deal is awarded, Fitz is going to have to start considering the options for moving on without him. That's just the way it is.

Can they trade him before the season?

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
I'm sorry. Bratt had one great season which happened to be the most recent. If I'm Fitzgerald, sure I'd want him long-term. He's a useful player. But it's at my number. The only mistake Fitzgerald is making is not settling on a one-year deal, even if it's closer to Bratt's ask. The arbitration hearing just hurts everybody.

Reactions: severian and dls

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
That doesn't mean anything. It just means that they can't agree on money and term. There's absolutely no other signs that suggest he wants out. He has literally said he loves the Devils and wants to be here. This isn't some US kid playing in Canada wanting to be close to home. NJ is his only home in the states, all his friends and family outside Sweden are here. There's plenty of other swedes in the team (who he trains with in the offseason) and he has made close friendships with a lot of the other guys.
He is lying.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Happy "told you so" day.

Time to start looking for trade partners cuz Bratt ain't staying with this lousy franchise after two years.

What makes you think that Bratt isn't 100% on board? It is the agent's job to represent the player.
The agent doesn't just represent the player, he advises the player. As an attorney, 90% of the time my client is going to listen to my guidance on an issue in negotiation. It's the same thing for an agent. If Persson is in his ear telling him that signing a long term deal at a certain AAV now is a bad career decision, Bratt probably isn't going to push back and override him.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
Happy "told you so" day.

Time to start looking for trade partners cuz Bratt ain't staying with this lousy franchise after two years.

What makes you think that Bratt isn't 100% on board? It is the agent's job to represent the player.
Truth is none of us know. We're just guessing and going with our guts. I just think if we had an experienced agent here, we wouldn't be in this situation. If the reports are true that an offer was presented, and Fitz never got a counter....that's just unacceptable and wouldn't happen with a top agent....at least I wouldn't think. But you never knows. I just want this done with at least 5 years in the next 45 minutes or trade him.
And to your point, Bratt needs to step in and say enough is enough to agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad