Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Bratt might want a short term deal. He may also want to be a Devil. They aren’t related.

One would hope he knows the risk of these types of negotiations. I don’t know if you can give him what he wants. If he hits the open market, some teams will overpay.

That’s why players get traded. The Devils need something for him. Love the player, but I would rather have a balanced (winning) team.

Look at Toronto. They paid Mathews on a short term deal and we shall see if it works out for them.

Last edited:

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Hopefully we're kicking this off with a shock extension in the next two hours or so, otherwise we may need a Bratt's next location GDT :P
One twitter poster who claims to have “very credible” source said he’ll sign a 3 year 6.85 contract. I would want longer term, but those numbers would seem reasonable.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
I think he absolutely wants to be a devil long term, but he (and his agent) don't seem to realize how close he is to getting traded if they can't get a long term extension done.

I don't get how people still think this way after watching Bratt do this twice.

If Fitzgerald lets this go to a hearing over a million dollars on a 1 year deal it will tell you all you need to know about where the relationship is at.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I don't get how people still think this way after watching Bratt do this twice.

That doesn't mean anything. It just means that they can't agree on money and term. There's absolutely no other signs that suggest he wants out. He has literally said he loves the Devils and wants to be here. This isn't some US kid playing in Canada wanting to be close to home. NJ is his only home in the states, all his friends and family outside Sweden are here. There's plenty of other swedes in the team (who he trains with in the offseason) and he has made close friendships with a lot of the other guys.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
That doesn't mean anything. It just means that they can't agree on money and term. There's absolutely no other signs that suggest he wants out. He has literally said he loves the Devils and wants to be here. This isn't some US kid playing in Canada wanting to be close to home. NJ is his only home in the states, all his friends and family outside Sweden are here. There's plenty of other swedes in the team (who he trains with in the offseason) and he has made close friendships with a lot of the other guys.
Yeah but we traded his bestie to Boston so he definitely wants out. :sarcasm:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
One twitter poster who claims to have “very credible” source said he’ll sign a 3 year 6.85 contract. I would want longer term, but those numbers would seem reasonable.
If he signs for 3 years, I would be listening on trades for him immediately. You can’t risk him walking when this team is finally competitive and this is now multiple negotiations that have been a disaster.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
It’s a term thing. His agent wants him in a position to be a pending UFA when the cap skyrockets and he’s banking on him becoming a consistent 80 point guy. The Devils for obvious reasons don’t want to go through this uncertainty again in 2 seasons. Just feels like a situation that’s going to eventually lead to a trade.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That would make so little sense it'd almost be like the agent saying yeah we want to get to FA but we'll give you one more year just to make it look like we don't.

You realize that one is a joke lol?
LOL is that 'The Bratt Pack'?

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I think the writing is on the wall, he isn’t staying here long term
The odds of having 3 contentious contract negotiations and staying with the same team long term is definitely extremely low. Not sure whether it’s the player, the agent or the Devils valuation of Bratt, but none of this is a positive sign for a healthy long term relationship.

Reactions: NJDevs26

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
He’s a short timer, he wants to get to ufa where someone will pay him 10 million dollars and it won’t likely be the devils
The issue is that he isn’t Auston Matthews where his size, pedigree and stats guarantee him some huge payday from another team as an UFA. Bratt is definitely taking a risk and betting on himself if the Devils have a reasonable 7 year offer on the table for him. What happens if next season he has 15 g 35 a….he’ll be right at the same place he is right now without a long term deal. And does an undersized 50 pt 6th rounder scream out for a long term deal at $10 mill/aav?

Reactions: Torts

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
That would make so little sense it'd almost be like the agent saying yeah we want to get to FA but we'll give you one more year just to make it look like we don't.

LOL is that 'The Bratt Pack'?

No just a rando, but the post is clearly in jest. He ends the post with "My sources are very legit so don’t question the validity of this"

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I mean they can't even agree on a 1 year deal before arbitration when that is going to be the result of the hearing anyway. Fitz isn't going through this a 3rd time. Bratt is gone.

Reactions: MauDevils

dls

Jan 20, 2009
He could want to be a devil all day and every day, but that doesn’t mean he’s willing to give a home team discount or .02 vs what he thinks he will get in the open market

Hope fitzy realizes that bratt will go to FA Short of an overpaid contract and nothing precludes us from signing him later, when he hits FA if we trade him. I would be in favor of a trade I just don’t see it happening given the swings (and misses so far) on high end talent to supplement our players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad