Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
From Lebrun's article today:

"Meanwhile, the Devils are getting a ton of calls on pending RFA forward Yegor Sharangovich, 25, whose arbitration case might put him in a place that doesn’t make sense within New Jersey’s cap puzzle. That will depend on a few other things the Devils are looking at, too. So it’s possible they move him. They’re also working the trade market on pending RFA netminder MacKenzie Blackwood."

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It would be a shame to lose Sharangovich. I still think he's a 30 goal scorer if put in the right situation. But if we're getting a nice return for him, then I'm not horrendously opposed to trading him.

The question becomes what does our depth look like? The UFA market is thin at best this year. Do we think Holtz or Clarke can step into the lineup as regulars, at the level that we need them to be? If so, we re-sign Haula and then look for a LW/C to fill the last roster spot:

LW: Meier, Palat, Haula, Boqvist, Foote
C: Hughes, Hischier, XXXXX, McLeod, Lazar
RW: Bratt, Mercer, Holtz/Clarke, Bastian

That doesn't look terrible to start the year?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It would be a shame to lose Sharangovich. I still think he's a 30 goal scorer if put in the right situation. But if we're getting a nice return for him, then I'm not horrendously opposed to trading him.

The question becomes what does our depth look like? The UFA market is thin at best this year. Do we think Holtz or Clarke can step into the lineup as regulars, at the level that we need them to be? If so, we re-sign Haula and then look for a LW/C to fill the last roster spot:

Add a top 6 and 3rd line wing. I don’t have an interest in leaving roster spots for Holtz/Clarke as top 9 guys. They take it then great push other guys down but I’m not leaving it open for them. Bo’s a “fine” 3rd liner but ideally I like him as a 4th liner. Just doesn’t produce enough for me to have him as a consistent 3rd liner

Edit: Bo actually did finish with a higher 5v5 P/60 than I thought so I guess he’s fine as a 3rd liner. Still think there’s a hole in that top 6 and wouldn’t mind a cheap 3rd line add

Last edited:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Foote got a lot of play at center last year I believe. Totally possible he might stick there. They seem to be very high on him.

Reactions: Guadana

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
  • Love
Reactions: New Jersey

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'd rather keep Shara and move Boqvist. Shara can PK and has a great shot. Boqvist...?

Disagree. Yegor in the bottom 6 adds next to nothing at 5v5 and has never been good defensively. Boqvist is a good defensive 5v5 forward and in his limited PK time put up good numbers. I have no doubts he could be a good PKer. The fit is gone for Yegor at this point and he’d cost more and he’d also get a bigger return. Bo’s the one to keep

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The writing was on the wall for Sharangovich getting scratched in the playoffs. Super likable dude, but if you’re a shooter that only hits the net once every eight shots, that’s a problem. His PK skills are nice, but we can fill that role in-house.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

If they re-sign Haula, the forward corps will be pretty fleshed out. I really like Shara, but he is just getting crowded out at forward and his arb case will be too pricey for the Devils.

IMO Clarke is ready. He was one of the top 5v5 scorers in the AHL. And i think his energetic style will fit in nicely with the Devils 3rd or 4th line. Holtz, we'll see how he performs at camp and if he can crack the team. The organization also seems to feel that Foote is a guy with a shot at camp too.

To round out the depth, I'd target Connor Brown in free agency. Has a history of good two-way play and forechecking as a complementary top-six glue guy, with PK utility. He missed all of last season to injury, so he should come on a cheap prove-it deal.

Brown - Hughes - Bratt
Meier - Hischier - Mercer
Palat - Haula - _________
_______ - Mcleod - Bastian
_______

The blanks can be open spots for guys at camp (Clarke, Foote, Holtz, Boqvist, Thompson, etc.)

Reactions: Guttersniped

BringBackTheRats

Mar 13, 2012
Albany, NY
I'll be sad that I wont be screaming SHARON at the TV when anyone on the team scores next season.

ozzy sharon.gif

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Some forwards I think the Devils should target to fill out the roster, whether via trade or free agency. Could use Boqvist, Sharangovich, picks, or prospects. Some logshots on this list. But with the expendable pieces we still have (Holtz, Casey, Gritsyuk, etc.) you never know...

Tyler Bertuzzi (UFA)
Garnet Hathaway (UFA)
Ivan Barbashev (UFA) - (I think he will be too costly in both AAV and term tho)
Jonas Donskoi (UFA)
Connor Brown (UFA)
Jesper Fast (UFA)

Ross Colton (TBL)
Blake Coleman (CGY)
Travis Konecny (PHI) - likely wouldn't trade to division rival
Tom Wilson (WSH)
Viktor Arvidsson (LAK)
William Karlsson (VGK) - likely not available
Nick Roy (VGK) - likely not available
Kyle Palmieri (NYI)
Colton Sissons (NSH)
Alexander Barbanov (SJS)
Jonah Gadjovich (SJS)
Kyle Connor (WPG) - extremely unlikely but never know....
Nik Ehlers (WPG) - also unlikely
Nino Niederreiter (WPG)
Mason Appleton (WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad