Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
It's mostly a negotiation tactic, to put a time limit on talks, and anchor a number for the contract. I would be very surprised if Meier got to his arbitration hearing.
Yeah I think his contract is happening in the next week or two.

But it's a nice piece of business by the Devils to save some cap space... I see Timo getting 8.5 per year on a long term deal... so capping the arb award at 8.5 lets Fitz work on the rest of the team too.

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I want us to take Blackwood to arbitration and have Bleed represent the Devils.

"Listen, shitbag.."
IMG_8704.jpeg

@Bleedred

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The last 2 Cup goalies are Adin Hill and Kuemper with one eye. There's very very few goalies you can count on to be good. People thought Oettinger was one of those few and then he puts up an .895 this run. Vasi is one of those guys and he had an .875. You never know what you're going to get with goalies.
Ya but the likelihood of a Helle playing hood is way better than someone like VV . Helle has shown the ability to carry a shit team over a season . I’d rather bet on an elite goalie that can consistently play elite over a longer strength thsn a goalie that has shown glimpses and short spurts if being good like VV . So far VV has had two sub par playoffs in a row . He played good for about 20 games and average the rest with no history of playing that many games per season. Helle is a work horse and is way more consistent and proven and I’d be way more confident that he would perform in the playoffs .
Ya average goalies can win cups but it is way more of a gamble than a goalie that is proven. Any goalie can get hot over a stretch of games but the chances of that timing tk be over the playoff run is way more unlikely with an average tender IMO

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But all that is just TALK until he actually signs on the dotted line.

Gee, that sounds familiar....
It is…but the fact Fitz is so publicly confident is reassuring, especially after he telegraphed Bratt re-signing this offseason after last offseason’s overt frustration over negotiations.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What a way to head into the weekend: Bratt signed and Timo saying he wants 8 years!

I can’t imagine that Blackwood signs here to be #3.

But, if he was willing to take $1.5 for 1-2 years while knowing he’s behind VV and Schmid, I’d do it.
I wouldn’t sign him for free.

Move the f*** on.

It’s over.

Done.

He sucks.

One of the absolute worst players at his position. The most important position in the game.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
f*** that scab.

Guy is arguably the worst goalie in the national hockey league.

The only guys worse are a bunch of guys that spend more games in the AHL than the NHL every year, and maybe a couple of 37 year olds that (probably) won’t play in the NHL next year.

I’m pretty sure Blackwood is not currently a significantly better goaltender at the NHL level than Keith Kinkaid and Cory Schneider.

Let this miserable era end. Guy already got enough of his freebie warranty miles here. Too many of them, even for how often he spent up on jack stands.

Stop being so passive aggressive and vague. If you don't want NJ to extend Blackwood just say so, we can handle the truth.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Which is exactly the right thing to do and say, three failed negotiations would have been one too many and you couldn’t have Bratt go into a walk year without getting crapola back. Timo is a trickier situation because of the fact they gave up so much for him and clearly wouldn’t get that back in trade but given Fitz’s recent comments on him I’m expecting a positive resolution there.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Ya but the likelihood of a Helle playing hood is way better than someone like VV . Helle has shown the ability to carry a shit team over a season . I’d rather bet on an elite goalie that can consistently play elite over a longer strength thsn a goalie that has shown glimpses and short spurts if being good like VV . So far VV has had two sub par playoffs in a row . He played good for about 20 games and average the rest with no history of playing that many games per season. Helle is a work horse and is way more consistent and proven and I’d be way more confident that he would perform in the playoffs .
Ya average goalies can win cups but it is way more of a gamble than a goalie that is proven. Any goalie can get hot over a stretch of games but the chances of that timing tk be over the playoff run is way more unlikely with an average tender IMO
I think the point that @Hisch13r is making is that because goalies are so unreliable, it makes more sense to invest those resources into increasing the quality of the rest of the team, and simply making the roster so good that you can get by with nearly any goaltender (a la COL or VGK).

VGK was so solid defensively it didn't matter who out of their Ringling Bros Circus Carousel of goalies they threw in there this season. COL was so dominant that even Keumper playing meh didn't slow them down.

I still think Yegor could be a decent fit here, but it’s just getting crowded with the talent we’ve amassed. Maybe there’s a trade out there like the Zacha for Haula swap? Probably just a pick though.
Probably a pick, they'll need the cap space. I like Shara, but he is getting crowded out by other forwards and is looking at a $2.5M+ arbitration deal.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
After years of futility and the majority of the fan experience just hoping for draft lottery luck or guys developing in leagues outside the NHL it is very gratifying to be coming off an excellent season and to have players publicly proclaim their happiness with the team. The future is bright and may even get better. Fitz has gotta wear shades.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Hopefully they get a second, but his trade value is probably pretty low.

I'll be curious to see if go straight futures or if there there is a hockey style trade we are looking at. Maybe for someone cheaper or waiver exempt, or maybe someone at a different position who may be able to fill a gap short term.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I'll be curious to see if go straight futures or if there there is a hockey style trade we are looking at. Maybe for someone cheaper or waiver exempt, or maybe someone at a different position who may be able to fill a gap short term.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what the Devils are doing with him and what teams are interested in him.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
After years of futility and the majority of the fan experience just hoping for draft lottery luck or guys developing in leagues outside the NHL it is very gratifying to be coming off an excellent season and to have players publicly proclaim their happiness with the team. The future is bright and may even get better. Fitz has gotta wear shades.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
The issue with Meier is he has some connection to his countrymen but little connection to the team or area. I’m sure it’s easy to sell him on the future of the team but how much he will sacrifice off the UFA overpay to stay with NJ remains to be seen. I don’t see a contender paying him $9.5 mil per but a bad team or an undesirable team might. Hopefully they can work it out.
“We can work it out”.

where have I heard that before?

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad