Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If that's the case then give Daws a run like it's 2022 again.

Of course, if he's not doing so well, which happened in 2022 when he was playing almost every single game, then by all means please do not play him that much.

But they need to give him some rope. I can't think of many games where Vitek played well where the team didn't play exceptionally well themselves. At least Schmid had that game against Seattle. Vitek's only legit really good game, where the team did not play well was opening night against Detroit. That was his best performance this season IMO.
Makes me wonder as well if this is Fitz trying to figure out exactly what he has in goal before making a move.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Look, daws can’t be any worse than what we’ve gotten this season. And just maybe he’ll be a little better. Give him some action.
This f***in staff seems perfectly content with letting Vitek's post nervous breakdown decide the season.

First time Daws plays meh he'll sit on the bench until the next back to back and get to watch Vitek do the same exact thing or even worse and stll get the play the next game or three.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This f***in staff seems perfectly content with letting Vitek's post nervous breakdown decide the season.

First time Daws plays meh he'll sit on the bench until the next back to back and get to watch Vitek do the same exact thing or even worse and stll get the play the next game or three.
Can you just let us all know when Vitek reaches shitbag status? That would be so much easier and save us a bunch of time.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

With the callup of Daws, unless Akira is sick or otherwise hurt, which wouldn't make sense for his presence at practice today, someone seems to be thinking about Schmid's waiver eligibility, which it would be easy to blow through. I hate playing Vitek but the idea of Schmid faltering down the stretch and not being able to to go to the minors in the future is sort of a nightmare also.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With the callup of Daws, unless Akira is sick or otherwise hurt, which wouldn't make sense for his presence at practice today, someone seems to be thinking about Schmid's waiver eligibility, which it would be easy to blow through. I hate playing Vitek but the idea of Schmid faltering down the stretch and not being able to to go to the minors in the future is sort of a nightmare also.
I'm actually okay with swapping Akira with other Nico, as long as we're gonna give other Nico a chance to play.

How many more games until he loses his waiver exemption status?

Can you just let us all know when Vitek reaches shitbag status? That would be so much easier and save us a bunch of time.
I don't think he's worse than Blackwood, but I also don't think he's gonna be good enough to be only as bad as Blackwood for the remainder of his tenure here.

Somewhere else he may be fine, but he's broken here.

One guy is just a bad goaltender, but the other is just broken with this particular team and needs a change of scenario.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Team is still absolute garbage but hey at least Timo isn't absolute garbage anymore so that's one positive.

They have a line working right now with Mercer and Timo. Just figure out one more line and they will be ok up front. Maybe move Bratt back with Hischier and have them play with Toffoli and let Jack play some sheltered minutes with Haula and Holtz until he works it out. Maybe it’s still his shoulder bothering him? On defense play Nemec more.

Reactions: Guadana

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I'd argue a Hanifin and Gibson trade would work in the future plans as well, you're not getting them for just this year
Do we have the cap to add both of them and retain next year ?

I guess if Vitek is sent the other way and we dont re-sign Toffoli we probably have the space ?

This Season Would be:
Haula - Hughes - Toffoli
Palat - Nico - Bratt
Timo - Mcleod - Mercer
Lazar - ???? - Holtz

Hanifin - Nemec
Hughes - Marino
Siegenthaler / Bahl - Miller

Gibson
Schmid / Daws

Next Season Would Be:
Bratt - Hughes - Mercer
Palat - Nico - Timo
Holtz - Haula - ???
Lazar - Mcleod - ???

Hanifin - Nemec
Hughes - Marino
Siegenthaler - Dougie

Gibson
Schmid

Ive heard horrible things of Hanifin / Dougie from CGY time so Id stay away from those 2. Also I have no idea what we would give up player / prospect wise. Would def need to give up Holtz / Mercer for the Hanifin etc but no clue what it would look like

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Do we have the cap to add both of them and retain next year ?

I guess if Vitek is sent the other way and we dont re-sign Toffoli we probably have the space ?

Vitek would go in Gibson trade I'm assuming, that's a swap around ~2.6-2.8M added to the Devils cap for next year and then whatever Hanifin's new deal is + whatever players you lose. They have 19M next year left with 15 roster spots still left, pretty good shape imo.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Please no Gibson.

Dear god no.

I think Daws/Schmid could be better than anything we’d get out of Gibson.

And for a fraction of the cost per year.

Not to mention whatever assets we have to dump into getting Gibson. Those fools probably think he’s worth something like it’s 2019. And that he’s not just a cap dump.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Please no Gibson.

Dear god no.

I think Daws/Schmid could be better than anything we’d get out of Gibson.

And for a fraction of the cost per year.

Not to mention whatever assets we have to dump into getting Gibson. Those fools probably think he’s worth something like it’s 2019. And that he’s not just a cap dump.
I think hes better then what we have but obviously much more expensive.

Whether its worth it, I have no idea. But I dont hate the idea of upgrading in goal

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Some clown in the comment section on the Devils IG page is saying that Severson was blindsided by the trade, signed the deal thinking he was staying, and has a chip on his shoulder because he was pissed about the whole ordeal. When ppl called him out for it he said he's relaying a story from someone who personally spoke to Severson. This fan base has to have more idiots than most, no?

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Some clown in the comment section on the Devils IG page is saying that Severson was blindsided by the trade, signed the deal thinking he was staying, and has a chip on his shoulder because he was pissed about the whole ordeal. When ppl called him out for it he said he's relaying a story from someone who personally spoke to Severson. This fan base has to have more idiots than most, no?
That just isnt how things work.

Its not even remotely possible lol

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think hes better then what we have but obviously much more expensive.

Whether its worth it, I have no idea. But I dont hate the idea of upgrading in goal
I can see him coming here and performing exactly how he does in Anaheim the last 4 years.

Especially with our absolutely worthless goalie coach(es).

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Idiots are all over.

My personal belief is that the sum of all intelligence on the planet is fixed...

...but the population keeps growing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't buy that.

He seemed pretty sincere in his interview tonight and went out of his way to compliment the organization and fanbase.

And like I said, he seemed pretty sincere. He didn't strike me as blowing smoke up asses.

If that was all really the case, seems like he'd either be visibly bitter or just fake praising the organization. And it certainly didn't seem fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad