Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2022-23 season thread part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I loved Kulikov in NJ, he was found money and hated how Fitz gave him away for a garbage pick. But it's long since time to move on.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Anyway, I just threw him in as an example of a cheap, defensively sound and mobile LD. Use any other name you prefer. Didn’t mean to offend the Ryan Graves stans JFC.
Well it's hard to trade a player for a cheaper better version of that player that plays the exact same position. Going older makes some sense but who wants to add Graves and his salary at the deadline? It would have to be a guy signed to another year maybe that has been disappointing. Someone like Brenden Dillon I guess which would make the majority of the board mad.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By the way, I'm not completely comfortable with re-signing Graves and haven't been all along.

I guess you gotta see what he wants though.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Well it's hard to trade a player for a cheaper better version of that player that plays the exact same position. Going older makes some sense but who wants to add Graves and his salary at the deadline? It would have to be a guy signed to another year maybe that has been disappointing. Someone like Brenden Dillon I guess which would make the majority of the board mad.

isnt that what happened when they traded for marino (re: severson's position)

edit: nevermind ...that would involve trading severson for him in your scenario

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I was not talking about trading Graves. I was talking about not resigning him in the offseason. My post was about the off-season and the ability to sign Pastrnak as a UFA.

Graves came back after sitting out a week and a half with an undisclosed injury without having a single practice. It's not that surprising he was bad.

It’s not surprising because he’s not a good player to begin with.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
isnt that what happened when they traded for marino (re: severson's position)
Well they traded Ty Smith and a 3rd for Marino, and that was because Pitt wanted to add Jeff Petry to replace Marino. So it was a bit of a weird 3 way trade because Pitt said "we will do whatever we can to win a title with Crosby/Letang/Malkin" and viewed Petry as an upgrade.

In a 1-1 trade, Graves is a UFA after the year ends so he has no value to a rebuilding team really. His only value would be if a playoff team saw him as an upgrade to their top 6 and had cap space to add him, or a team was looking to get out of a bad deal.

So I was just looking to see if there's a player paid less that's older and maybe has disappointed that would be a better fit in NJ. I didn't look that hard but someone like Brenden Dillon I could see WPG being happy to trade away for Graves in a 1-1 deal.

Reactions: njdevils1982

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Graves and Sevo will likely seek term on their deals and I just don't know if we can afford to offer that with 3 guys locked up + the players we have coming through the pipeline. I forsee another deal like Smiths to stopgap unless 2 of our D prospects are undoubtedly ready for a full time role.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I was not talking about trading Graves. I was talking about not resigning him in the offseason. My post was about the off-season and the ability to sign Pastrnak as a UFA.
Sorry I missed that. I hope Luke Hughes takes that spot and we don't sign anyone to get in his way, but by the offseason I think we'll have a better idea on the need to add a name on the left side v not assuming Luke signs in NJ and plays a few games.

Reactions: Blackjack

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Graves and Sevo will likely seek term on their deals and I just don't know if we can afford to offer that with 3 guys locked up + the players we have coming through the pipeline. I forsee another deal like Smiths to stopgap unless 2 of our D prospects are undoubtedly ready for a full time role.
Severson is as good as gone, there’s no way they keep him long term when Nemec will probably make the team next year. Graves is going to want at least 2 years which again we’d be foolish to do with Luke, Bahl and Okh all competing for spot. Fitz will probably sign another cheap vet like Smith just to have a body in case of injury/kids not being ready.

Siegs-Dougie
Luke/Bahl/Okh-Marino
Luke/Bahl/Okh-Nemec
Smith/random vet

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would consider Graves on a three year deal timed to expire when Nemec’s does. Depending on the AAV.

I still think Hughes and Nemec are both another year away. Graves gives us a nice buffer until they are ready.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
By the way, I'm not completely comfortable with re-signing Graves and haven't been all along.

I guess you gotta see what he wants though.

I wouldn't be opposed, I don't want Luke walking into NJ and needing to play top 4 right away and Nemec to replace what Severson does. At the worst, Graves can get a short term deal with a higher AAV to entice him to stay and it allows Luke to cherry pick on 3LD until his defensive game grows enough to be trusted in the top 4. Could do this:

Siegs-Hamliton
Graves-Nemec
Hughes-Marino

Bottom 2 pairs can flip on a game to game basis depending on who's playing better obviously

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Am i the only poster here that wouldnt mind bringing Sevs back with us? If he was on a team friendly contract..... (Hypothetical)

I don't even hate Kulikov, but:

- he is not better than Ryan Graves. No way, no how.
- if you bring him back its absolutely not to be on the 2nd pairing. That would be an utter disaster.

Also, Kulikov is getting old too. Dont think he would be the same as even when we saw him.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If it was the Kulikov that played with us, I would be on board. But it's not.

But with that said, Graves is like an anti Hughes, Hughes makes 9 great plays and then makes a doozy that makes people(who want to) forget about the first 9. Graves is the exact opposite.

Reactions: Guttersniped

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Again, name the player that fits that mold that is available for Bratt. The Tkachuk boat has already sailed. I'm sure we'd all love a sniper that has size and grit/sandpaper/whatever cliche you want to use, but those guys are rarely available. We would almost certainly lose any trade involving Bratt, so unless it becomes obvious he doesn't want to be here it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade him.

Also, this idea that he's redundant is just f***ing insane to me. Oh the horror of having too many highly skilled play drivers on your team! We should be getting help for Nico, Jack, and Bratt, not subtracting Bratt just to add this pure goal scorer (who is likely going to be streaky since almost all pure goal scorers are) that is supposedly worth trading him for.
It’s pointless to just name a player because we have no idea who is available and it’s a waste of time to theorize otherwise. No one in their right mind would’ve assumed hall was available and yet he was moved quickly and for peanuts. I don’t know what goal scorer I would deal bratt for it’s not my job to either. I just simply think they need one and if they do make a move for one with him then I’ll offer my opinion on how the trade went

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Except he is close.

We've been talking about UFA's and RFA's ever since we realized this team might be something. It's part of the point of this board.

As for LeBrun I don't know where you're getting your info from but this is from 5 days ago in the athletic: "There’s been ongoing dialogue, but my sense is the gap in positions is real," The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun wrote Thursday.

And his agent: Pastrnak's agent, J.P. Barry, told LeBrun on Wednesday, "I’ve been in regular discussions with (general manager) Don (Sweeney) about our respective positions for a few months. We remain apart at this juncture. We will continue to negotiate.”

This stuff almost sounds worse than what's coming out of Bratt’s camp so I see no reason why it shouldn't be worth discussing.

First, what came out of the Bratt camp? I don’t actually remember hearing anything specific from his agent. One of the things I like about his agent is he hasn’t leaked shit, that’s why we don’t have numbers. All we have some whiny leaks from the team about how good their offer was.

After that, what do want to discuss? The idea of the Devils planning to snap up Pasta as a UFA?

Sorry, it sounds like a complete fantasy to me, I can’t do it.

He’s too important a player for them, he’s going to be able to squeeze them pretty good with the season he’s having but I assume he stays.

The Bruins brand is very strong and they’ve let a bunch of guys walk, but those were lesser players and that ended up being the right decision. (Not re-signing mid-tier UFAs forwards usually is a great decision.) Pasta is a key aspect to their offense, they need him to much. And he’s a huge star.

I don’t see how Boston is a 1st round exit this year unless something wacky happens so there should be good vibes.

They need to figure out the future of their center position but Horvat should wait until the UFA period to sign anyway. Not sure if they can afford them both but they probably have more money than Colorado, I don’t f***ing care that much to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad