Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2022-23 season thread part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Tatar and a pick to SJ for Meier?
Maybe if Meier is still struggling later in the season. Right now they'd probably demand something along the lines of what DeBrincat returned, maybe a bit less but hard to see them biting on Tatar and a first, even the NJ first assuming it is protected for top 5 or so.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
If it’s a sports hernia probably looking at 8-12 weeks

If he tore the tendon off the bone probably looking at 4-5 months

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The dopes in San Jose probably still think they have a shot at the playoffs this year.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee...
iu

It's in the bone!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I would guess if Palat tore the tendon off his bone then there would not have been a consultation to discuss possible treatment, they would have went right to surgery.

It seems more likely to be along the lines of sports hernia where the doctor and player discuss rest, pain management, and the possibility of still ending up in surgery.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This is crazy, but trade Holtz and a high pick for Meier. For one reason or another (at first it was the coaching staff, now it's equal parts coaching and Holtz) he has just not grabbed a spot in the lineup. I would feel comfortable parting with him and a high pick (I really don't care about picks) to get Meier.

To further this, Graves and Severson are going to be replaced with d-men on ELC's. Tatar and Johnsson will be gone if not included in a trade sooner. Cap is also going up 4 mil. It won't be a problem to fit Meier in with the current squad on whatever his new deal is going to be.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
All Dr. Harjas_Grewal has to do is pay Elon for a blue checkmark and he can look super legit. Sucks to hear about Palat though.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Holtz is squarely in trade bait territory for me at this time, not going to dream up trades at the moment but if the right deal is there I'd trade him without hesitation. I would not trade him for a rental or anything like that though, only intrested in longer term roster players.

At the end of the year I think the D is pretty much set with Nemec and Hughes coming in, possibly with Bahl/Okhoitiuk and Smith handling the 3rd LD + 7th D spot. The major hole might be Blackwood / 1B goalie actually and trading Holtz to upgrade that spot is tricky.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Palat being on the LTIR isn’t likely to lead to any huge dream trade (sorry) but it should allow for Bernier to come of the LTIR and get a test run. It gives us options at goalie for a while which is nice. (Assuming Bernier is ready to have his AHL conditioning stint soon.)

No idea who this guy is, but he has "Dr." in his name and is on Twitter, so he must be legit.

This is Dr I Guess At Shit For Hockey Fans on Twitter.

I really doubt he tore anything because I assume that’s more painful (I’m guessing here, I’m not going to research that.)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Alternatively, do nothing about Meier this season and if you really like him then sign him as a UFA this offseason.

He's still an RFA and I think his qualifying offer is 10m or something. He's not the type of guy you should go after right now. Not to mention he's off to a slow start and his defensive game is not good.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Boqvist out. Haula down. Holtz in.

Totally off topic, but your comment reminds me of Lord Ismay's quip about the purpose of NATO.

I definitely think Holtz will get a chance to slot in soon with Palat out long term, especially if the scoring dries up at all and we need another shooter.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He's still an RFA and I think his qualifying offer is 10m or something. He's not the type of guy you should go after right now. Not to mention he's off to a slow start and his defensive game is not good.
Agreed, that’s why I think SJ isn’t going to qualify him for $10+ million and they’ll let him become a UFA.

He doesn’t have an incentive to give anyone a discount for avoiding going UFA, unless whatever team signs him pays UFA money.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Agreed, that’s why I think SJ isn’t going to qualify him for $10+ million and they’ll let him become a UFA.
I can promise you that won't happen.

I also usually think these things are long shots, but we do have the Swiss and Claude Lemieux connections...so who knows. Although I do think the Palat signing probably takes us out of it.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad