Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2022-23 season thread part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I really wish they did the All Star game like this, obvious all stars get in and then a bunch of guys with specific skills in the random competitions. As terrible as he was, I always wanted to know how hard Gelinas could shoot the puck.
It would be pretty neat to see the team do their own Skills Comp, if I recall correctly they did at least once YEARS ago. Hardest shot, fastest skater, etc. Would be neat for the fans.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well the reason was Krueger was terrible coach who did Skinner dirty for no disernable reason.

I know all fans of losing teams bitch about coaches but Sabres have a real cause with him, Krueger was weirdly extra bad in peculiar ways.
Oh god, don't even get me started on Freddy's brother.

The love affair with this guy (before his Sabres stint) was even weirder than the Babcock lackeys.

''Ohhh, he's a good coach! I'd like to see him get another chance in the NHL. He did an outstanding job with the Oilers that season, better than every other coach they tried and yet they axed him after just one 48 game season? What gives? Oh and did you see his job with Team Europe in the world cup of hockey? OOHHHHHH AHHHHHHH SO MANY FEELS!''

And every offseason after that world cup until the Sabres finally hired him, he kept getting talked about. ''Is this the season Ralph Krueger finally comes back to the NHL and rightfully gets a head coaching job again? I guess when he isn't too busy running his soccer team he'll come back''. Didn't some credible insider (maybe Kevin Weekes?) even come out and say that he really turned some heads after Team Europe's performance in 2016 and that teams will come calling the next offseason?

And 4 or 5 random games coaching Team Europe, which was basically Halak standing on his head like it was 2010 in Montreal, but that was certainly enough to confirm that Ralph Krueger would be such an asset as the bench boss for an NHL team.

Guy was even more of a BUST as an NHL head coach than Nail Yakupov was as an NHL player. Several years of hype and anticipation for his return to the NHL and he didn't even last 100 games in his long awaited NHL head coaching stint. Now that's f***ing funny.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I never understood why some here get offended by her giggling.

I really don't.
I don't either, but I could do without the inside jokes that aren't fleshed out...like who the hell were they talking about (Pally) that owned a soccer team for like two minutes of that interview?

I didn't even really fully understand the superfan part - did some guy just go nuts on social media proclaiming his love for Tatar or something in Montreal? I wasn't exactly paying attention to him there so I don't know about this 'viral' moment either and it wasn't explained.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
''Ohhh, he's a good coach! I'd like to see him get another chance in the NHL. He did an outstanding job with the Oilers that season, better than every other coach they tried OOHHHHHH AHHHHHHH SO MANY FEELS!''

''Is this the season Ralph Krueger finally comes back to the NHL and rightfully gets a head coaching job again?
In a cynical world it’s nice to see you stick out your neck and praise a coach many others find subpar.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I never understood why some here get offended by her giggling.

I really don't.
How dare someone have fun at their job!

I just refuse to believe that the org isn't capable of better sound engineering than that, though.
I don't either, but I could do without the inside jokes that aren't fleshed out...like who the hell were they talking about (Pally) that owned a soccer team for like two minutes of that interview?

I didn't even really fully understand the superfan part - did some guy just go nuts on social media proclaiming his love for Tatar or something in Montreal? I wasn't exactly paying attention to him there so I don't know about this 'viral' moment either and it wasn't explained.
I think Pally is Palat. The fan is the dude from the gif at the top of this page

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It would be pretty neat to see the team do their own Skills Comp, if I recall correctly they did at least once YEARS ago. Hardest shot, fastest skater, etc. Would be neat for the fans.
I remember being there. After the competition, they were all just hanging out in the ice trying to get their hardest shot.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Pally is Palat - he partially owns a team in tier 3 of english soccer, which is actually a pretty big deal if they end up promoted

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Pally is Palat - he partially owns a team in tier 3 of english soccer, which is actually a pretty big deal if they end up promoted

Well that makes sense, but it just proves they can’t assume everyone knows the shorthand nickname of a guy who’s played six games here. Most people hadn’t even heard his Sharangovich nickname.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Pally should have been obvious to anybody who knows how hockey nicknames work.:laugh:

And some guys already have their hockey nickname as their actual name.

Like I'm semi-convinced that Matt Boldy's family name is actually Boulder or Bolden or Bolduc, and an overzealous registrar of births who knew he would grow up to be a hockey player went ahead and shortened it for him. Same thing for TJ Oshie. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Clam Jensen

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
And some guys already have their hockey nickname as their actual name.

Like I'm semi-convinced that Matt Boldy's family name is actually Boulder or Bolden or Bolduc, and an overzealous registrar of births who knew he would grow up to be a hockey player went ahead and shortened it for him. Same thing for TJ Oshie. :laugh:
Timothy Jimothy Oshothy

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Would you guys be in favor of signing Miles Wood to a 6 year, 19.5 million (3.25mil AAV) contract extension in January?

Would mean he's under contract until 2029. His age 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 seasons.

Would be great to have him locked in at a fair number, but I could see a world where his style of play declines in his early 30s. The good news, is that by years 4/5/6 of that deal, the salary cap should be about 95 million at a minimum - which makes 3.25 million a very easy contract to move if you have to.

Curious everyone's thoughts. Even in a game like last night, as well as all last season, you could tell the Devils miss what he brings.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Would you guys be in favor of signing Miles Wood to a 6 year, 19.5 million (3.25mil AAV) contract extension in January?

Would mean he's under contract until 2029. His age 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 seasons.

Would be great to have him locked in at a fair number, but I could see a world where his style of play declines in his early 30s. The good news, is that by years 4/5/6 of that deal, the salary cap should be about 95 million at a minimum - which makes 3.25 million a very easy contract to move if you have to.

Curious everyone's thoughts. Even in a game like last night, as well as all last season, you could tell the Devils miss what he brings.

office-space-no-man.gif

6 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad