Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I don't see what's so wrong with what he's saying.

The fact is we could've drafted much better than we did in the last decade, late picks or not.

You pair some poor drafts with some poor UFA mistakes and basically we squandered a couple solid teams.

You are reiterating what ZJC said. There have been many responses that counter that with really no other response than, "They simply didn't draft well." It's just a continuous cycle. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but some aren't recognizing that one side of the argument is a bit more personal disappointment with the team than actually what they're claiming.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
no way is hayes going to outproduce either brunner or ryder. Boucher would be ahead of him in the depth chart as well. That was Brunner's first full season in the NHL and Ryder had 18 goals which is a low for him.

I don't see him signing here nor do I think Lou would bend over backwards for him. It would cool if he did sign here just to help our forward prospect pool but I doubt the Devils will be the ones giving him the best opportunity/performance bonuses.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He was a wing this season with Gaudreau.

Kid wants to get paid. I would steer clear of this kind of player - that is one who is starting his career with the mindset of the best situation for him as opposed to starting his career with the mindset of working hard and making a team.
Chicago has cap issues and is a very good team, so it makes somewhat sense what he is doing ...but I question a player who would rather not play for a championship organization for a better situation.

Just doesn't give me a warm feeling.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

Kid wants to get paid. I would steer clear of this kind of player - that is one who is starting his career with the mindset of the best situation for him as opposed to starting his career with the mindset of working hard and making a team.
Chicago has cap issues and is a very good team, so it makes somewhat sense what he is doing ...but I question a player who would rather not play for a championship organization for a better situation.

Lucky for us it's doubtful he would sign for us anyway. He's looking for a max deal and he wouldn't get that here without performance based bonuses.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Wouldn't touch Hayes with a 10ft pole. Sure, he was on the most dominant line in college hockey, but Gaudreau was just on another level last season. Hayes is absolutely not ready to step right into the show right now - that much is certain. And it's going to hurt him in the long run going somewhere like Calgary or Florida where he'll more than likely be gifted a spot in the top-9 on a weak team.

I don't think Gaudreau's game is going to translate well either, but that's another discussion for a different day.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

He also wants to jump directly into the NHL which he cannot do with Chicago. Obviously he's looking at it finacially as well, but not solely on money. FWIW, I would take him but he would have to pay his dues first which he doesnt seem to want to do.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Lucky for us it's doubtful he would sign for us anyway. He's looking for a max deal and he wouldn't get that here without performance based bonuses.

Max deal? I doubt it. He wants to play for a team that gives him the best chance of making the NHL team as soon as possible.

CHI depth
1. Kane
2. Toews
3. Sharp
4. Hossa
5. Bickell
6. Versteeg
7. Richards
8. Shaw
9. Smith
10 Kruger
11. Teravainen
12. Saad

Who is Hayes going to bump? I rather not sign a contract to a team knowing that the only way I make the NHL team is if they make a trade. If I have no choice then its mute, but giving the chance I would sign with another teams every time.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wouldn't touch Hayes with a 10ft pole. Sure, he was on the most dominant line in college hockey, but Gaudreau was just on another level last season. Hayes is absolutely not ready to step right into the show right now - that much is certain. And it's going to hurt him in the long run going somewhere like Calgary or Florida where he'll more than likely be gifted a spot in the top-9 on a weak team.

I don't think Gaudreau's game is going to translate well either, but that's another discussion for a different day.

I agree all around.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Max deal? I doubt it. He wants to play for a team that gives him the best chance of making the NHL team as soon as possible.

CHI depth
1. Kane
2. Toews
3. Sharp
4. Hossa
5. Bickell
6. Versteeg
7. Richards
8. Shaw
9. Smith
10 Kruger
11. Teravainen
12. Saad

Who is Hayes going to bump? I rather not sign a contract to a team knowing that the only way I make the NHL team is if they make a trade. If I have no choice then its mute, but giving the chance I would sign with another teams every time.

It's not too important to the discussion, but Versteeg has fallen out of favor a bit. He put up less than 40 points and he makes $4.4 million. I'm sure Chicago would love to unload him.

I haven't seen Hayes play, but his attitude does put me off. I think we've had enough with players who put themselves before the team. Although I am curious why you think Gaudreau won't play well at the next level? I haven't seen him play either but he performed pretty well at the World Championships.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
This is the same stuff we were all saying about Turris, who is now one of the best young two-way centers in the league. Anyone heard anything about his "personality issues" since he was traded?

There's no guarantee Hayes is going to be a competent NHL player, but taking advantage of a chance to hit free agency early and choose where he plays doesn't make him some sort of diva with an attitude problem.

Players have the right to maximize their value and/or hold out for a team that will give them a better opportunity to play in the NHL. It's not his fault the CBA allows him to do this much earlier than most players. The only way we'll ever hear about his "selfish demands" and whatnot after he signs is if he busts. Then everyone'll circle around and point to him being immature or whatever, with just as little proof as they had in the first place.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gaudreau is a very small super slick player those type of skills tend to not translate well...

That being said, I said the same things about Paul Kariya and I was completely wrong...I saw Paul Kariya 4 or 5 times his freshman year 1992-93 and he was THE BEST college hockey player I've ever seen - But I thought he would never have the time and space in the NHL -- The NHL was trending big and physical at the time and I really thought he had no chance. (Same thing for Saku Koivu who was dominating at the WJC around the same time)

I keep a Northeastern Hockey schedule in my office...It was from the following year 93-94 --But I love the players on the schedule ---This is Dan McGillis defending Kariya from the season before at Matthews arena.

I really should get this framed before it gets ruined.

IMG_20140819_103124_045_zps3cd11951.jpg

Last edited:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Gaudreau is a very small super slick player those type of skills tend to not translate well...

That being said, I said the same things about Paul Kariya and I was completely wrong...I saw Paul Kariya 4 or 5 times his freshman year 1992-93 and he was THE BEST college hockey player I've ever seen - But I thought he would never have the time and space in the NHL -- The NHL was trending big and physical at the time and I really thought he had no chance. (Same thing for Saku Koivu who was dominating at the WJC around the same time)

I keep a Northeastern Hockey schedule in my office...It was from the following year 93-94 --But I love the players on the schedule ---This is Dan McGillis defending Kariya from the season before at Matthews arena.

What I find impressive about Gaudreau is that he keeps exceeding expectations at every level. NCAA, World Juniors and World Championships, the latter of which was against pro hockey players. He completely obliterated a very tough Hockey East. Just looking at the stats, his last college season was far superior than anything Gionta or Parise did and they were tremendous college hockey players.

Maybe I'm just pulling for him because he's from NJ, but I wouldn't doubt this guy.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
What I find impressive about Gaudreau is that he keeps exceeding expectations at every level. NCAA, World Juniors and World Championships, the latter of which was against pro hockey players. He completely obliterated a very tough Hockey East. Just looking at the stats, his last college season was far superior than anything Gionta or Parise did and they were tremendous college hockey players.

Maybe I'm just pulling for him because he's from NJ, but I wouldn't doubt this guy.

I had a class this past semester with a girl who lived a block away from him and his family. From the sounds of it he's a good kid and works very hard. I think he will do well at the NHL level too.

It's crazy how NJ is really starting to become a hockey state. Now with Deangelo coming from South Jersey as well. The state as a whole is really producing some great players.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I was skeptical about Gaudreau in the NHL until he got called up to Calgary and looked like he was playing his 82nd NHL game instead of his first.

It reminded me of Henrique's first game, the last of 2011 against Boston. It wasn't that he was particularly flashy or noticeable, it's that he didn't look remotely out of place.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com

Jim, Hit up staples and get it laminated before framing. will cost pennies. Did that with a few of the Frozen four posters i have.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

How is a 22-year old, four-year collegiate player who boasts a 6'3" frame and dominated the past two seasons "absolutely not ready" to make the jump?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
It's not too important to the discussion, but Versteeg has fallen out of favor a bit. He put up less than 40 points and he makes $4.4 million. I'm sure Chicago would love to unload him.

I haven't seen Hayes play, but his attitude does put me off. I think we've had enough with players who put themselves before the team. Although I am curious why you think Gaudreau won't play well at the next level? I haven't seen him play either but he performed pretty well at the World Championships.

40 PTS for a 3rd liner is actually really good. I am sure CHI would love to trade him, but nobody will do them any favors to help their cap hit.

My point is that CHI is really really deep team. Why risk signing with them and spending a good amount of time in the AHL? Even if he thinks he can win the job injuries happen and he obviously won't have any rope to stick with the team. Some really good players have poor rookie seasons.

Why the heck shouldn't he care about himself? Nobody else is going to look out for him. CHI would love to sign him and keep him in the AHL for backup or fight for a job.

jerseydevil

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
My lines to open the season..

Cammy - Zajac - Jagr
Henrique - Elias - Brunner/Ryder (other one gets dealt)
Clowe- Gomez - Havlat
Zubrus - Josefson - Ruutu

Extras - Gionta, Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad