Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Alex Rosen ‏@AlexRosenPOTP
Just spoke to a source close to Andy Greene: Expect him to re-sign in NJ before the start of the season. Likely in a few weeks.

now, this guy looks like he is in college so who knows what his "sources" are lol

but still I guess its something to talk about!

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
now, this guy looks like he is in college so who knows what his "sources" are lol

but still I guess its something to talk about!

Good news. Question is, do we want to give him a 5-7 year deal where he may decline significantly and we're stuck with a big contract as he approaches 40 or a 3-5 year deal?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think in an ideal world, Greene signs a 4 year/$24 million deal or thereabouts

i do think he'll get something similar to what Girardi got AAV. maybe we can get him to agree to 5/$27.5 but I HIGHLY doubt it considering Brooks Orpik just got that contract lol

Game Breaker

May 10, 2007
West Hollywood, CA
I think in an ideal world, Greene signs a 4 year/$24 million deal or thereabouts

i do think he'll get something similar to what Girardi got AAV. maybe we can get him to agree to 5/$27.5 but I HIGHLY doubt it considering Brooks Orpik just got that contract lol

I feel like people kept throwing that contract around weeks ago for a guideline for Greene, which I think would be very good. That Orpik signing was just terrible.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Greene strikes me as the type who will take a little less if it gives the team some extra flexibility. Could be wrong but Andy just seems like a lifer here to me.

He's a father figure to a lot of the younger players and someone Lou relies on to show the rest of the group the way and to set a example.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
greene is one of the more important players on this team going forward, give him the fifth year and worry about it later.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
With the trio of young kids under club control for at least 4 years, I have no problem giving anything Greene wanted on a 4 year contract.

Anyways, some people are listing Sal as right D. I believe we'll see Greene on the right side a lot this year, along with Zids and Larsson being the others. Keep Merrill on the left and let him be comfortable in an expanded role.

JerseySideOfTheRiver

Geaux Devils
Feb 5, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
The phrase "something up his sleeve" gets thrown around way too casually when it comes to Lou these days.

I don't really think he's deserving of that phrase any longer. That phrase is usually used when someone does something extremely good and unexpected, in betterment of the team.

Lou hasn't had something in his sleeves for years. All he's done has been transparent really, things we've seen coming, or nothing at all, except for the acquisition of Schneider last summer maybe.

This team is filled with over the hill forwards because Lou has done a poor job of managing the team, and because of poor drafting by Conte & Co.

I'm giving props to Lou because he's doing his best to keep us afloat, but the days of him being a wiz are long gone unfortunately.

Lmao at you not counting Schneider as a good out of nowhere move.

I think Lou has had consistently solid drafts at D. Tedenby and Josefson haven't panned out up front and it's too early to tell on Boucher and Matteau. I don't get all this hate towards the Devils drafts.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
Greene strikes me as the type who will take a little less if it gives the team some extra flexibility. Could be wrong but Andy just seems like a lifer here to me.

He's a father figure to a lot of the younger players and someone Lou relies on to show the rest of the group the way and to set a example.

Never forgot uncle Andy

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I think Lou has had consistently solid drafts at D. Tedenby and Josefson haven't panned out up front and it's too early to tell on Boucher and Matteau. I don't get all this hate towards the Devils drafts.

they've drafted & developed like 4 players in the past 10 years that are consistent NHL players. and one just walked away for free.

I get that we have a strong D corps of prospects now, but the point stands.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Just saw this. I was like "Is that grade too harsh?"

His grades made no sense. Seemed like the less you did the better the grade. He called Cammalleri a weak 2nd liner, lol. He also started comparing the Devils line-up to the Blackhawks and started poo-pooing on the Devils. Most of the East's lineups look like a ripe turd compared to the Blackhawks.

"I bashed Cammalleri’s contract above and you could make the argument that the Grabovski and Kulemin signings are similar, but at least the Islanders were in a position to make these moves. With the Devils, they were throwing Cammalleri on top of a pile of bad forward signings and it’s the collective weight of them that I think hurts the team." Rotoworld
^^I can't even begin to understand the logic behind this gem.

That article was an absolute waste of time.

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
His grades made no sense. Seemed like the less you did the better the grade. He called Cammalleri a weak 2nd liner, lol. He also started comparing the Devils line-up to the Blackhawks and started poo-pooing on the Devils. Most of the East's lineups look like a ripe turd compared to the Blackhawks.

^^I can't even begin to understand the logic behind this gem.

That article was an absolute waste of time.

I think he has a point when he says its another massive forward contract on top of a pile of already pretty bad/heavy ones. but Cammy was what we needed and we went out and got it. and it didnt damage us too much in the long run

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
they've drafted & developed like 4 players in the past 10 years that are consistent NHL players. and one just walked away for free.

I get that we have a strong D corps of prospects now, but the point stands.

We'd be in so much better shape if we had developed just two additional forwards.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think he has a point when he says its another massive forward contract on top of a pile of already pretty bad/heavy ones. but Cammy was what we needed and we went out and got it. and it didnt damage us too much in the long run

Heavy?

Maybe Clowe and Zubrus. I'm not worried about them because at the moment we really don't have replacements. Plus, Zubrus could be dealt and Clowe has an even chance of LTIR or retirement with one more concussion.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Also, Ruutu. And Brunner and Ryder haven't made themselves seem like bargains. If those two had produced 35-40+ goals, we'd be talking about the power of Lou's kool-aid.

I see the guy's point. But at the very least, adding Havlat and Cammalleri creates competition. You produce or you sit.

I hope that Andy Greene rumor is true. Even if it's massive overpayment on term or money, I think the guy will be at worst a solid #5 by the end of his career.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

What contracts are we referring to? All the contracts given to aging players that only have either 1 or 2 years left?

I really don't see his point. Especially when the cap continues to go up. Cammy's contract isn't going to hurt the devils.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
All these articles are written only with the near future in mind.

No one has a tempered view of the long-term future because if they did, it would be a pretty boring article - "I don't know what will happen."

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

Our drafting, and worse still, development is ****ing useless. **** Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad