Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I think this year is the most games in a single season JJ has played ever. Which tells you a lot.

Idk tonight he stood out but I've liked what I've seen recently and makes me think he can be salvaged....which would be a huge boost for us.

He just turned 24 a couple of days ago.

Zetterberg had his first full nhl season at 23 and made the jump to 80 points a couple of years later. Just saying....

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Jacob starting to look Real good to me, works hard, has good wheels and the composure he showed on the PP Was Real Nice. Also been a suprise playing Well on the PK. thanks Again Lou for getting rid off DeBoer.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jacob starting to look Real good to me, works hard, has good wheels and the composure he showed on the PP Was Real Nice. Also been a suprise playing Well on the PK. thanks Again Lou for getting rid off DeBoer.

Josefson played under Maclean, Lemaire, Deboer and now this staff...not sure I would blame coaching for his slow development as much as I would blame the injuries he's had throughout his career and probably coming over to North America too soon.

I think this is a reoccurring theme we've seen with some of the Swedes and European prospects in general...I think probably an 18 or 19 year old has enough of an up hill battle but add a new culture, a new language, a new style of play on a smaller ice surface and you are setting up some of these kids to fail...

If were up to me I would let some of these young Europeans play in their top leagues at home for an extra year minimum but two or three years may be best.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I don't think language is all that much a problem for Swedish players.

Jake has had a lot of injury problems but I'm totally fine with him as a bottom six center going forward.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think language is all that much a problem for Swedish players.

Jake has had a lot of injury problems but I'm totally fine with him as a bottom six center going forward.

The nice thing about him is that his defense has never been a problem. If he can somehow develop offense into the 30-40 point a year range than I will be thrilled. Nice to see the kid finally play more than 8 minutes a night.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
Josefson played under Maclean, Lemaire, Deboer and now this staff...not sure I would blame coaching for his slow development as much as I would blame the injuries he's had throughout his career and probably coming over to North America too soon.

I think this is a reoccurring theme we've seen with some of the Swedes and European prospects in general...I think probably an 18 or 19 year old has enough of an up hill battle but add a new culture, a new language, a new style of play on a smaller ice surface and you are setting up some of these kids to fail...

If were up to me I would let some of these young Europeans play in their top leagues at home for an extra year minimum but two or three years may be best.

In 2012 jake got a chance to play with kovalchuk and then had a run on the top line with jagr last year. I don't buy any coach stunted josefsons development. He came here early and has had a bunch of injury problems and hasn't been productive when given the chance. That said I still think he will stick with us as a bottom six player.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Any thoughts on who Lou might be "aggressively" targeting through trade to improve our forwards (besides Blake Wheeler of course)?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In 2012 jake got a chance to play with kovalchuk and then had a run on the top line with jagr last year. I don't buy any coach stunted josefsons development. He came here early and has had a bunch of injury problems and hasn't been productive when given the chance. That said I still think he will stick with us as a bottom six player.
I'm still holding out hope that he can be better than a bottom 6 player. He has a lot of tools, he is a smart hockey player...I think he can be good player.

I find it somewhat interesting that the Devils gave him a 2 year deal last summer, in some ways I think it shows that he is in the Devils future plans.

xdl1

Nov 3, 2010
Any thoughts on who Lou might be "aggressively" targeting through trade to improve our forwards (besides Blake Wheeler of course)?

There aren't a lot of young high end C/RWs on the market. Wheeler? Kessel? (god no.) Nyquist/Tatar/Pulkinnen? Eberle?

Tampa is one of the few overloaded with forwards. They will end up with 1st/2nd line level talent stuck down on the third line in a year or two. Islanders may have the same issue if Ho-Sang and Dal Colle develop.

Our pick this year should be a top six fit for 2017. Question is what does a Merrill + 2016 1st get you should the right forwards be on the market?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

A cap troubled team seems to make most sense. Boston perhaps? Brad Marchand interest me.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I'm still holding out hope that he can be better than a bottom 6 player. He has a lot of tools, he is a smart hockey player...I think he can be good player.

I find it somewhat interesting that the Devils gave him a 2 year deal last summer, in some ways I think it shows that he is in the Devils future plans.

I remember all the "Zetterberg-lite" scouting reports from when he was drafted :laugh: Hopefully you are right and he's just a late bloomer.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
A cap troubled team seems to make most sense. Boston perhaps? Brad Marchand interest me.

I'd love for a type of guy like him or Lucic.

Lucic is also a guy they could be looking to move and I believe there were some discussions a month or two ago about him potentially being moved at some point because of their cap situation.

Either way, a Lucic or Marchand type would fit that role Lou seemingly wants to fill left voided by Clarkson/Clowe

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Lucic is also a guy they could be looking to move and I believe there were some discussions a month or two ago about him potentially being moved at some point because of their cap situation.

Either way, a Lucic or Marchand type would fit that role Lou seemingly wants to fill left voided by Clarkson/Clowe
I just can't imagine that Boston would want a player like either one of those two to stay in the same conference if they did move one?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

did he actually say something to this effect?

I dont know of too many players this year who would be both expendable to their team and improve ours significantly without breaking the bank.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I just can't imagine that Boston would want a player like either one of those two to stay in the same conference if they did move one?

I would take Eriksson and I think he's more inclined to leave than the other two.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
did he actually say something to this effect?

I dont know of too many players this year who would be both expendable to their team and improve ours significantly without breaking the bank.

Lou kind of outlined a future plan at his post-deadline press conference.

He talked about adding picks to pursue forwards and that he would be aggressive this offseason.

Lamoriello trade deadline conference call:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Lou kind of outlined a future plan at his post-deadline press conference.

He talked about adding picks to pursue forwards and that he would be aggressive this offseason.

missed that one. its encouraging for sure, but were short of assets. id be interested to hear what he considers moveable

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

I would love Brad Marchand, but aside from the Devils aces (Larsson, Severson, Merrill) I don't think the Devils have a hell of a lot to entice Boston. I think at most I might be willing to give is Gelinas and one of our 2nd's.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would love Brad Marchand, but aside from the Devils aces (Larsson, Severson, Merrill) I don't think the Devils have a hell of a lot to entice Boston. I think at most I might be willing to give is Gelinas and one of our 2nd's.

Eriksson for Hrabrenka, Scarlett, or Burlon and the later of the two second round picks this year.

If the Bruins get stingy, I would give up Jacobs. Eriksson can get a shot at rejuvenating his career with basically first line minutes in NJ. Boston can possibly get a cheap defenseman out of one of those guys.

yehyeh

Devils. Devils? Yeah, Devils.
Dec 17, 2011
NNJ
Eriksson for Hrabrenka, Scarlett, or Burlon and the later of the two second round picks this year.

If the Bruins get stingy, I would give up Jacobs. Eriksson can get a shot at rejuvenating his career with basically first line minutes in NJ. Boston can possibly get a cheap defenseman out of one of those guys.
Do we really need another forward who hasn't scored 30 goals again in the last 4-6 years? Giving up picks for this guy too? No thanks.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Josefson is very similar to Jagr in the way he uses his leg strength to make space for himself.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think Eriksson is one of the low-risk, high-reward trades we can make and still have ammo left over for another deal. He's only signed two years and has a solid all-around game.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Do we really need another forward who hasn't scored 30 goals again in the last 4-6 years? Giving up picks for this guy too? No thanks.

I think Eriksson is one of the low-risk, high-reward trades we can make and still have ammo left over for another deal. He's only signed two years and has a solid all-around game.

This is exactly it.

Eriksson won't cost much and would fit in very nicely. When he was a top guy in Dallas, he was an amazing all-around player putting up 70 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad