Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wasn't he also getting benched by Hydra?

Josefson's problem is that he shows flashes of looking good, but has trouble putting it together consistently.

For a few games but they have let him play consistently for a while now.

They have more trust in him then Pete had. They have enough centers that they could scratch him to put someone else in but they don't.

And I don't see Tootoo, Bernier or Gomez as trash. They are all producing unlike the other trash. Plus we can't replace every forward at the moment.

We are getting rid of two old D and bring in a steady vet while also letting a 5th kid get a NHL shot.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Not sure that is true. We won't have Ryder or Havlat, but will most likely resign Tootoo, Bernier, and Gomez.

Replace Salvador with a random UFA defenseman (hoping its Martin) and we probably pick up a UFA C.

Tootoo, Bernier, and Gomez aren't trash. I don't mind them being resigned at a reasonable rate.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Tootoo, Bernier, and Gomez aren't trash. I don't mind them being resigned at a reasonable rate.

Gomez at 1.5 - 2 million would work for me. He gives the Devils creativity offensively they serious lack. I He's producing at a .5ppg pace so he should get rewarded. I doubt he will leave either since I think it's clear to him he's not the same player outside NJ.

Bernier will probably get somewhere around 1 million -- maybe a little more.

Tootoo will probably get the same as Bernier although I could see the Devils being hesitant to offer him more and him hitting UFA again. But then again, like Gomez, he may realize he's better up staying.

The biggest problem I have with resigning Gomez is Josefson won't be given an opportunity. In order for JJ to play top nine minutes, he would have to force Henrique and Elias to the LW. That would be a tough task since we already have Elias, Ruutu, Zubrus, Elias, Matteau, and likely Boucher there for next year. This is why I hope we flip Zubrus or Ruutu for a RW in the offseason.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Gomez at 1.5 - 2 million would work for me. He gives the Devils creativity offensively they serious lack. I He's producing at a .5ppg pace so he should get rewarded. I doubt he will leave either since I think it's clear to him he's not the same player outside NJ.

Bernier will probably get somewhere around 1 million -- maybe a little more.

Tootoo will probably get the same as Bernier although I could see the Devils being hesitant to offer him more and him hitting UFA again. But then again, like Gomez, he may realize he's better up staying.

The biggest problem I have with resigning Gomez is Josefson won't be given an opportunity. In order for JJ to play top nine minutes, he would have to force Henrique and Elias to the LW. That would be a tough task since we already have Elias, Ruutu, Zubrus, Elias, Matteau, and likely Boucher there for next year. This is why I hope we flip Zubrus or Ruutu for a RW in the offseason.

I would be perfectly fine with that if the Devils could do it. Tired of both of them, especially Zubrus, to be honest.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I see only 2 new players next season, both should be right wings.

OUT: Ryder, Havlat, Fraser
IN: RW, RW.

Cammalleri-Gomez-????
Henrique-Elias-????
Zubrus-Zajac-Bernier
Ruutu-Josefson-Gionta
Tootoo

Greene-Larsson
Merrill-Severson
Gelinas-Harrold
Helgeson

Schneider-Kincaid

I don't see any room for Boucher and Matteau getting a shot given they haven't impressed in AHL and both Ruutu and Zubrus are contracted for one more season.

We might get a 3rd new player being a defensive partner for Gelinas but I don't think it will happen. The organization for some reason love Harrold so much that he will be given a full time role. After all, he has been playing out of position ahead of two healthy right wings who have a much better pedigree than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad