Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
The fact that he's been benched under a coach who supposedly hated kids, and now one that's supposedly more patient with kids doesn't bode well for him. He's got all the tools to be a good player, but I have serious doubts about whether he has the mental game to put it together.

I haven't seen anything that says he doesnt have the mental makeup to be a starter. I also think you have to consider how great Cory has been the last 6 weeks. I think its a case of them riding the hot hand more so than benching Kincaid. Not worried in the least.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
After a slow start Cory is #6 in 5on5 SV% (1000+ min).

Rinne 94.45 Sv%
Elliott 94.41 Sv%
Price 94.27 Sv%
Mason 93.81 Sv%
Anderson 93.66 Sv%
Schneider 93.32 Sv%

It has been long time that our team has been in the top 5 for 5on5 SV%

NSH 93.71 Sv%
MTL 93.62 Sv%
CHI 93.18 Sv%
NJD 93.17 Sv%
NYR 93.02 Sv%

Goalie IMO is set for years. Lou needs now to figure out a way to get more time in the offensive zone. We are 7th in FA60 but 29th in FF60. Probably need ~4 top 6 forwards IMO.

How is Mason that high? Does he just not play a lot? Their team GAA is not very good. Does he just get 30 shots a game thrown at him?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gelinas hasn't been in the lineup for ANY of these 40+ shot disasters in the post DeBoer.

Fraser has been in ALL 3 of them and Petey Jr has been in for 2 of the 3.

Gelinas might be able to help us get a few more shots on goal in some of these games where we're dead.

Petey Jr and Fraser will help ensure that we allow up as many shots as possibly.

We went quite a few games post DeBoer where we didn't even allow 30 shots on goal. Then along came that black hole of suck that is Mark Fraser.

Having both Harrold and Fraser in the lineup at the same time is just asking for all these shots against, especially against teams like Boston, Pittsburgh, Anaheim. We can get away with it against some of the middle of the road or not so good teams. Not against the really good teams.

This is exactly my theory on why we've seen some of these 40+ shot disasters since DeBoer has been gone. DeBoer never had the chance to play POS Fraser while he was still here, he hadn't been called up yet. Fraser and Harrold were never both in the lineup in the same game before DeBoer was gone. It's too coincidental and Fraser has years worth of evidence that backs that he's a TERRIBLE and incompetent NHL defenseman.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mason has become legitimately good after leaving Columbus. He actually hasn't been bad for them. He was a joke for his time in Columbus, minus his rookie season. He was plenty young enough where a change of scenery definitely resurrected his career. Columbus made out anyway when they acquired Bobrovsky before letting Mason go.

It's funny that Mason wasn't very good in Columbus, yet is great for the Flyers. And Bob was almost as bad with the Flyers as Mason was in Columbus, yet he's been excellent in Columbus.

Emery still sucks though. He'll be on the unemployment line soon enough with Nabokov, and probably Johnson and Peters too.

Unfortunately for Emery, he isn't contracted into next year like Johnson and Peters are.

There were so many fluky things that happened during that 2013 lockout season. Toronto, Ottawa, and NYI (though I don't believe NYI is a fluke this year) all being in the playoffs. And Ray Emery being 20-1-0 or whatever, and being in the top 6 or 7 in Vezina votes. That's Emery's only year that was even average or better in the last 8 seasons.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Gelinas hasn't been in the lineup for ANY of these 40+ shot disasters in the post DeBoer.

Fraser has been in ALL 3 of them and Petey Jr has been in for 2 of the 3.

Gelinas might be able to help us get a few more shots on goal in some of these games where we're dead.

Petey Jr and Fraser will help ensure that we allow up as many shots as possibly.

We went quite a few games post DeBoer where we didn't even allow 30 shots on goal. Then along came that black hole of suck that is Mark Fraser.

Having both Harrold and Fraser in the lineup at the same time is just asking for all these shots against, especially against teams like Boston, Pittsburgh, Anaheim. We can get away with it against some of the middle of the road or not so good teams. Not against the really good teams.

This is exactly my theory on why we've seen some of these 40+ shot disasters since DeBoer has been gone. DeBoer never had the chance to play POS Fraser while he was still here, he hadn't been called up yet. Fraser and Harrold were never both in the lineup in the same game before DeBoer was gone. It's too coincidental and Fraser has years worth of evidence that backs that he's a TERRIBLE and incompetent NHL defenseman.

Interesting. Yet basically Geli doesn't play anymore under the new coaching team. It's a shame really, cause the same argument which was made for Larsson is true for Gelinas too. They all need to play, really...

I agree with this article : http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd...-To-Give-Eric-Gelinas-More-Ice-Time/159/65800

There is no excuse not to play Gelinas more IMO.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Get Camm out of 3C by moving JJ to 3C and Zubrus to 4C.

Remove Harrold and insert Gelinas.

I'd rather see
Greene-Larsson
Merrill-Zidlicky
Gelinas-Fraser

Adios Zidlicky, Jagr, Ryder, Havlat at deadline and insert anyone of Harrold, Helgeson, Burlon as the 6th and 7th. Whitney, Boucher, Matteau replace departed forwards.

Use those picks for FORWARDS exclusively.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think it will be interesting to see the D pairs when Severson returns. I'd like to see him be on the 2nd pair. Merrill-Severson is a very young pairing but in terms of our dept chart I would say that is a 2nd pairing on this team. I definitely think it makes a lot of sense to trade Zid to give Larsson and Severson top 4 minutes and one (or both) PP time.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So with Bernier's recent 6 pts in 6 games streak, does anyone thing we might sell high on him? He's an UFA and is on a cheap deal, he's also young enough for a team to possibly want to re-sign and turn him into more than a rental. Sure, we might want to keep him but if someone offers up a 3rd rounder, I'd give serious thought about moving him....I think he'd be easier to trade than Ryder and might actually fetch just as much...

The question needs to be "will keeping (insert player) past the deadline help the team in the long run?". lf the answer is no, and someone is willing to give something for him, you absolutely make the move.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As bad as we're playing at times since the coaching change and as much as we're being outplayed, I can't really say there has been a ton of games that we won where we didn't deserve to or had no business winning.

Maybe the last game against Florida and the shootout win vs Toronto. We didn't win any of the other games where we had like 14 or 15 or less shots on goal. Just the one against Florida.

Yeah we got outshot by Philly that night, but we were CLEARLY the better team that night. We got outshot by LA that game, but we were also clearly the better team. No way Philly or LA deserved to win those games with the way they played those nights. Sharks outshot us by a slight margin, but we were clearly the better team.

We got outshot badly by Detroit, Boston, Anaheim, Florida, and we only beat Florida.

Shots were close to even in the first Pittsburgh game since the coaching change and we won. They may have outshot us by a couple, but it was nothing significant. We were clearly better than Buffalo (who isn't?) too. Only game we won and had no business winning was Florida. Maybe against Toronto too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Win or lose, this has been the worst Devils hockey I've ever seen under this new staff. It rivals Maclean's 30 game stint.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
wait... a guy named TOOTOO (Two Two) was born on Two/Two?!?!?!?!? that is insane

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Win or lose, this has been the worst Devils hockey I've ever seen under this new staff. It rivals Maclean's 30 game stint.

In general, I agree, but I also am willing to give the staff a bit more time. Obviously, they're getting killed in possession, shot differential, etc., so watching a game it feels slightly stunning when the Devils actual have the puck in the offensive zone. Having multiple periods where they record 1 or 2 shots for is awful. But, it feels almost like training camp. I'm watching to see the process. Stevens and Oates said they wanted to focus on being able to win 2-1 and 3-1 games, and I actually do feel that the team is doing a better job of reducing quality chances and protecting leads.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Am I the only one that thinks Kincaid doesn't have potential to be juat a solid backup in the league but could also be a solid starter. I know it's a small sample size but it's the way he plays, moves and carries himself in goal that has potential starter written all over him. He should be given at least one third of the starts left to end the season in my opinion. Showcase him to the rest of the league maybe we could get serious value out of him in a trade in a season or two. Yeah I know I'm getting ahead of myself. But when ya got Cory Schneider locked up for years you always have to be thinking one move ahead.

You arent the only one. I'd like to see him up his value and we could include him in a deal...maybe after next season.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
After a slow start Cory is #6 in 5on5 SV% (1000+ min).

Rinne 94.45 Sv%
Elliott 94.41 Sv%
Price 94.27 Sv%
Mason 93.81 Sv%
Anderson 93.66 Sv%
Schneider 93.32 Sv%

It has been long time that our team has been in the top 5 for 5on5 SV%

NSH 93.71 Sv%
MTL 93.62 Sv%
CHI 93.18 Sv%
NJD 93.17 Sv%
NYR 93.02 Sv%

Goalie IMO is set for years. Lou needs now to figure out a way to get more time in the offensive zone. We are 7th in FA60 but 29th in FF60. Probably need ~4 top 6 forwards IMO.

Cory is great and we're lucky to have him -

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=66031&blogger_id=159

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Tough to disagree with this. To manage only 14 shots in two consecutive games (and nearly 0 shots in 2 straight periods) is abysmal.

I've never felt weirder at a live game where we won than on Saturday. The last 40 minutes weren't exactly fun to watch. :laugh: But I take wins over everything.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The thing is Harrrold and Fraser aren't the future of this team and they've looked like dog **** lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad