Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Does anyone have, or know where I can find, like a day-to-day look at the Devils penalty kill stats?

Like I want to see how the Devils have been since they were at their utter worst during the PK. I know it was hovering close to 60 percent for a while, the fact that it's 80% right now is pretty remarkable if you ask me.

Best I can find is month breakdown.

Oct - 68.2%
Nov - 80.4%
Dec - 88.9%
Jan - 83.9%

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Best I can find is month breakdown.

Oct - 68.2%
Nov - 80.4%
Dec - 88.9%
Jan - 83.9%

It literally turned around the day Sal got hurt and Lars was inserted on the PK unit.

Edit: so Nov 11th.

Double edit: prior to the 11th, in November the Devils killed 8 of 15 penalties, including at least one sh goal in every game of the month.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It literally turned around the day Sal got hurt and Lars was inserted on the PK unit.

Edit: so Nov 11th.

Double edit: prior to the 11th, in November the Devils killed 8 of 15 penalties, including at least one sh goal in every game of the month.

What was the Devils total as of the 11th.

By that I mean the penalty kill percentage, if you have that it won't be hard to figure out the rest.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
straight up everyone on this team should be for sale except Elias, Severson, Larsson, and Schneider.

They need a revamped core, improving the current one won't work.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
So Lou in your observation time what do we need to do. Other then sell half the team that is.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
You know whats really bad NJ26 Super early is 965? In good times that would be eaten up in 20min. Thanks Lou your screwing everything up.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Does anyone have, or know where I can find, like a day-to-day look at the Devils penalty kill stats?

Like I want to see how the Devils have been since they were at their utter worst during the PK. I know it was hovering close to 60 percent for a while, the fact that it's 80% right now is pretty remarkable if you ask me.

this shows game by game …you would have to do some math yourself….. sorry, best i got

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule/_/name/nj/new-jersey-devils

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

*Cough Cough* Salvador *cough*
Teams would set up their PP around isolating Salvador and dominated the crap out of him.
Even I could pre-scout the Devils for other teams "Ya , on the PP just isolate Sal down low , pylon him with speed or corkscrew him into the ice with a give and go down low. Don't worry about defensive schemes , they don't have anyone under 40 that can score besides Cams , and he's hurt. "

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Our call ups have been an even bigger joke than the guys we already have up.

Fraser? ****slo? Tostitos?

Joe Whitney barely got a look. Can anyone honestly think Whitney and Timmins (I know he's injured) would be worse than the junk that got significant ice time for us?

Helgeson was also better than POS Fraser.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Jagr needs to be gone no matter what, even if it's for a mid rounder. I really can't take much more of him. Bringing him back for next season would be a gigantic mistake.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
i would take that in a sec, too bad that they're not Jim Rutherford. Although that deal makes sense.

we need more skellefteå kids

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jagr needs to be gone no matter what, even if it's for a mid rounder. I really can't take much more of him. Bringing him back for next season would be a gigantic mistake.

Ugh I'm starting to not be too happy with him myself.

Hopefully it's just rust from sitting out sick for so long.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think its rust. The guy is just ancient. He's been lazy and inconsistent all year, which is understandable. Father time is on line 1.

As sad as it is, I think I'd still take Jagr over Zubrus. I'd even take having Havlat back over Zubrus next year.

The most ideal situation is that none of these guys are back and we're able to sign or trade or even draft someone to replace Jagr's production.

I'm deathly afraid that Zubrus will be in the top 6 next year if all these guys are gone. I'd rather see the ****in Jets win the Stanley Cup (and have to listen to their pompous fanbase about it for a lifetime) than see Zubrus play any higher than the 4th line. Come to think of it, I'd take a Jets Stanley Cup win (and buy their jersey) over having to see Zubrus at all next year. He's the first that needs to go.

As someone else said tonight (and it wasn't just me), he's our worst forward. That's terrible on a team that has a lot of bad forwards. The fact that his contract goes into next season.:help::cry:

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
They need to find at least three top 6 players over the next 1-2 years. Whether its through drafting, trades, free agency or whatever. Henrique and Cammalleri are really the only top six players that will be on this team for the foreseeable future and both of them are complimentary players. Zajac is a 2nd/3rd liner tweener who provides barely any offense. After that, its bleak. I have no clue what Boucher will turn into.

I mean, we are in a WORLD of hurt. It is a complete mess up front. Who has a worse situation when it comes to the forward group than us? It's like there was no planning whatsoever.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They need to find at least three top 6 players over the next 1-2 years. Whether its through drafting, trades, free agency or whatever. Henrique and Cammalleri are really the only top six players that will be on this team for the foreseeable future and both of them are complimentary players. Zajac is a 2nd/3rd liner tweener who provides barely any offense. After that, its bleak. I have no clue what Boucher will turn into.

I mean, we are in a WORLD of hurt. It is a complete mess up front. Who has a worse situation when it comes to the forward group than us? It's like there was no planning whatsoever.

Yeah but we got Graham Black and Kujawhatever and don't forget ECHL all star MVP Myles Bell!

I wanna give Conte a break since he's provided us with a nice defense (that we still can't make complete use of because we have to give Petey Jr and POS Fraser games) but the forward situation is awful.

Not sure what to expect out of Matteau either. I think he needs a little more AHL time after this season. We really needed him to play those 17 games and his 3 points and 9:11 ice time per game that year, which took a year off his ELC/waiver eligibility.

I don't know if I blame Lou more for that, or broke ass Hucksterbeek making us ice a dollar general roster because we couldn't afford some real players.

Luckily Reid Boucher can be in the AHL for one more year if he needs it.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Yep.

Just to draw parallels with guys under contract:
Top 5 NHL goalie (when on his game)
2 Dmen with #1 potential Larsson/Sevs
2 Dman with #2 potential Greene/Merrill
2 Dmen with 2nd pairing potential Santini/Gelinas
1 Dman with shutdown 3rd pairing potential Hegelson
3-4 other potential NHL Dmen or trading pieces (Scarlett, Jacobs, Burlon?)

(So the real dangerous question is - can the combo of 6 at their combined peak of Sevs, Greene, Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, Santini >= Stevens, Nieds, Rafalski, x, x, x ... where the three x's were peak Colin White, an older Albelin and an older Daneyko at the time). I'd be inclined to say no...

Henrique good 2nd liner
Cammy good 2nd liner
Zajac good 2nd liner
Elias at this point 2nd/3rd liner
JJ 3rd liner, maybe borderline 2ndliner with growing curve
Ruutuu decent 3rd liner
Boosh/Matteau could/should make 3rd line jump next year
Zubrus 4th liner

Assume Ryder/Jagr/Zids moves nets a 3rd liner

Gionta/Bernier 4th liners

I'd ideally like to see 2-3 contributors come from somewhere to push Zubrus, Gionta and Bernier out of the mix, and move everyone down a notch. Maybe one out of the draft. Maybe one from UFA. Maybe a Graham Black or Paul Thompson are legit...

I get the sentiment of 'hey wouldn't it be nice to get some #1 talent' - but I think it is more necessary to find some guys like Gionta who play on the third line but eventually move up to become a nice 2nd line guy potting 30+ goals. (and before I get flamed - that's Brian, not the nose.)

Is it that bad that I forgot Stephen Gionta was still on this team?:laugh:

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I'm willing to bet we get one future top 6 forward out of our current prospects. Our 1st this year should net us a 1st liner unless Conte blows it and takes Werenski. Then we could possibly get another 2nd liner out of this draft outside our 1st, and we should have another top 10 pick in 2016, which is supposed to be loaded with good 2nd line type forwards. That's potentially 4 top 6 forwards, and Henrique and Zajac we still be here. We should be ok if Conte avoids taking more defensemen we don't have room for.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah but we got Graham Black and Kujawhatever and don't forget ECHL all star MVP Myles Bell!

I wanna give Conte a break since he's provided us with a nice defense (that we still can't make complete use of because we have to give Petey Jr and POS Fraser games) but the forward situation is awful.

Not sure what to expect out of Matteau either. I think he needs a little more AHL time after this season. We really needed him to play those 17 games and his 3 points and 9:11 ice time per game that year, which took a year off his ELC/waiver eligibility.

I don't know if I blame Lou more for that, or broke ass Hucksterbeek making us ice a dollar general roster because we couldn't afford some real players.

Luckily Reid Boucher can be in the AHL for one more year if he needs it.

In regard to Conte, I've decided that I'll give him a break if he can replenish our forwards with a comparable efficiency as he did our defense. I'm not asking for All-Star forwards just forwards who can actually contribute offensively.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm willing to bet we get one future top 6 forward out of our current prospects. Our 1st this year should net us a 1st liner unless Conte blows it and takes Werenski. Then we could possibly get another 2nd liner out of this draft outside our 1st, and we should have another top 10 pick in 2016, which is supposed to be loaded with good 2nd line type forwards. That's potentially 4 top 6 forwards, and Henrique and Zajac we still be here. We should be ok if Conte avoids taking more defensemen we don't have room for.

I very much hope things go like you outlined. That would make this team so much more competitive.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

The plan involved two certain players who are no longer here. The last couple years have been like patching a leaky roof. It only works so long before you have to replace the entire thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad