Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Back to back nights after a long stretch of illness and not practicing? I think we know why he didn't play if you set aside the tin foil hats on the subject.

Harrold played 16:43 last night, the least minutes of the D until Helgeson got into his fight and sat the extra 5 minutes and only got about 15 minutes. I'm sure Larsson will be back in next game.

Common sense is unfortunately uncommon around here more often than not, so thank you for this post

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Agree - trading bonafide assets for "premier" goalies rarely seems to work out, especially when there appear to be a glut of goalies on the market over the past few years. The Ducks seemingly churn out different Vezina candidates every season.

Don't think you could have handed the team to Kinkaid
but the Devils didn't fully test Schneider before paying out all this money.

The coach is mostly to blame for burning Cory and the team to the ground with a laundry list of bad decisions this season.

The loser mentality needs to be purged and the youngsters and our franchise goalie, like it or not, need a confidence boost. Fire Deboer!
Well that brings up another aspect of bringing Schneid's in, and that is the squeeze on Marty.

If no Schneid's Marty is here, going for 700 while Kinkaid is maybe(who knows with Marty and Pete) playing more then once every 10 games.

And I know we need to be careful not to turn this into an anti Schneid's argument, because a)I think he's playing OK and b)it's about the trade and not him, but all these factors lead to that trade not looking great at the moment.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Well that brings up another aspect of bringing Schneid's in, and that is the squeeze on Marty.

If no Schneid's Marty is here, going for 700 while Kinkaid is maybe(who knows with Marty and Pete) playing more then once every 10 games.

And I know we need to be careful not to turn this into a. n anti Schneid's argument, because a)I think he's playing OK and b)it's about the trade and not him, but all these factors lead to that trade not looking great at the moment.

Who do you think starts Tuesday?
I'm hoping for Kinkaid.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Common sense is unfortunately uncommon around here more often than not, so thank you for this post

Peter Harrold:
TOI/G: 17:39 ESTOI/G: 15:02 SHTOI/G: 2:35

Adam Larsson:
TOI/G: 16:27 ESTOI/G: 13:28 SHTOI/G: 2:55

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice · Dec 20
Larsson didn't think conditioning will be issue playing back to back nights following illness

Lamoriello said then "it will be a coach’s decision†whether Larsson plays Saturday against the Capitals.

Larsson will obviously get back in the lineup next game but he should have played against Washington and he should get more EV time but does it happen? Hasn't happened this season basically the only way he gets a lot of minutes is if the Devils take a lot of penalties.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well Larsson played 25 minutes in Albany which pretty much precluded him from playing last night. It didn't seem like they had any intention of playing him last night because of giving him so much time on Friday but then I go back to why the charade of acting like he might play?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Peter Harrold:
TOI/G: 17:39 ESTOI/G: 15:02 SHTOI/G: 2:35

Adam Larsson:
TOI/G: 16:27 ESTOI/G: 13:28 SHTOI/G: 2:55

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice · Dec 20
Larsson didn't think conditioning will be issue playing back to back nights following illness

Lamoriello said then "it will be a coach’s decision†whether Larsson plays Saturday against the Capitals.

Larsson will obviously get back in the lineup next game but he should have played against Washington and he should get more EV time but does it happen? Hasn't happened this season basically the only way he gets a lot of minutes is if the Devils take a lot of penalties.

And if we are being objective and looking at the situation, I think it's pretty clear Pete is not a big fan of Larsson. Don't need a tin hat to come to that conclusion.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
And if we are being objective and looking at the situation, I think it's pretty clear Pete is not a big fan of Larsson. Don't need a tin hat to come to that conclusion.

definitely keeps him on a really short leash,, he also kept tedenby on a short leash, josefson on a short leash, gelinas..short leash

notice none of them have quite developed into anything yet.... larsson appears to be coming around and gelinas is playing by default right now due to health issues..

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
definitely keeps him on a really short leash,, he also kept tedenby on a short leash, josefson on a short leash, gelinas..short leash

notice none of them have quite developed into anything yet.... larsson appears to be coming around and gelinas is playing by default right now due to health issues..

It's a chicken or the egg conundrum. Did those players not develop because Pete didn't play them or did Pete not play them because they weren't developing?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It's a chicken or the egg conundrum. Did those players not develop because Pete didn't play them or did Pete not play them because they weren't developing?

Given some of Pete other decisions when it comes to player decisions I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007

Everyone of our young D side from Damon, had a hall of famer Scott Stevens helping them out last year, this year they a very smart one in Albelin. Larsson had Robinson too for a year. Larsson is coming around, but has been unhealthy. They've had video, coaching, and the like. Merrill and Severson seemed to be doing OK...so Gelinas not getting better is whose fault? Larsson has gotten better and we shouldn't forget HE'S 21! He's a baby.

You guys would be complaining if Larsson played last night got hurt. He hadn't practiced with the team and then played one conditioning game for 25 minutes. So they gave him the night off. The kid was off for 3 weeks. Almost no player goes right into the lineup after that especially after an illness like that. Relax. Lars is going back in soon.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That's on Lou for calling up stiffs from Albany. It's also on DeDumbo for playing them over the odds.

Also, you sound exactly like DeBoer and the excuses he comes out with. Sorry, but that's the mentality this guy has bred around this franchise.

It's toxic and totally unacceptable.

Who else are we calling up that's any better?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Who else are we calling up that's any better?

The janitor for all I care.

The stiffs are what they are. Change it up, try something different.

Look, I'm not suggesting there's gold in the tin mine, but come on. Whitney is the scoring leader and probably deserves a look given the trash that gets wheeled out up here. Didn't some guy have a four goal game? Boucher? Matteau?

What I'm getting at is that Pete only acknowledges the lunch pail, garbage platers. "well he skates around like a headless chicken, but at least he's consistent at it".

It's like the man is terrified of somebody trying something different.

Yeah they might **** up and it might not work. You aren't going to know unless you ****ing try.

This play not to lose **** is toxic. It's going to destroy this franchise. I totally 100% believe that. I couldn't give two ***** about winning or losing at this point, I just want some fresh perspective.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Look, I'm not suggesting there's gold in the tin mine, but come on. Whitney is the scoring leader and probably deserves a look given the trash that gets wheeled out up here. Didn't some guy have a four goal game? Boucher? Matteau?

What I'm getting at is that Pete only acknowledges the lunch pail, garbage platers. "well he skates around like a headless chicken, but at least he's consistent at it".

Yeah they might **** up and it might not work. You aren't going to know unless you ****ing try.

This play not to lose **** is toxic. It's going to destroy this franchise. I totally 100% believe that. I couldn't give two ***** about winning or losing at this point, I just want some fresh perspective.

That is an angle on the situation I haven't heard before, but it totally applies. Never thought about it that way, but it sure does seem like PDB is afraid of change.

...and that's probably why he keeps going to the same guys as the situation with the big club gets worse. The team does worse, his seat becomes hotter, and he'd rather call up guys he's familiar with rather that "streaky" players like a Boucher or a Matteau.

Interesting.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Very well said. Pete is too chicken **** to take any chances.

The only ballsy decisions he's made this year was to start Kinkaid against Chicago, and his shootout lineup against the Islanders.

This goes right back to my constant complaint on the way he runs things in overtime. Can't win a shootout? Oh well, we'll just keep rolling 2 defensemen out in OT at all times. God forbid we give up a breakaway and lose the game in OT because of it.

With this most recent shootout win, he'll probably wait until 10+ more shootout losses before trying out something so dangerous like that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The fact that we even need to call as many of these guys up as we have is a bigger problem than which ones we're calling up. I don't think there's much difference between Sislo or Whitney in the lineup. Boucher looked completely lost when he last came up. Matteau is really more of a grinder, which actually makes it seem kind of odd he hasn't been called up yet. I'm not against trying different callups, I just don't think it really matters given our far larger issues up front.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
The fact that we even need to call as many of these guys up as we have is a bigger problem than which ones we're calling up. I don't think there's much difference between Sislo or Whitney in the lineup. Boucher looked completely lost when he last came up. Matteau is really more of a grinder, which actually makes it seem kind of odd he hasn't been called up yet. I'm not against trying different callups, I just don't think it really matters given our far larger issues up front.

and what this team lacks is offense... i know boucher didn't look great when he was called up here but he put 62 goals in jr. so somewhere there is offense in his game why not give him a game or two with jagr or gomez maybe he will score get confidence etc. it worked with henriqe

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
and what this team lacks is offense... i know boucher didn't look great when he was called up here but he put 62 goals in jr. so somewhere there is offense in his game why not give him a game or two with jagr or gomez maybe he will score get confidence etc. it worked with henriqe

Exactly. Even if their most recent call-up performances are similar, a Boucher/Matteau call-up has much more potential and upside than a Sestito/Sislo call-up.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

the team even had an article on the site about him beating stamkos…..(not saying he's better than him) …..but cmon, he did accomplish this and yet we have ryder who goes invisible for weeks.

not only him, but guys deserve a chance and an environment to thrive, not rot.

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658212

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad