Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Zero reason to trade for Schneider.

Lou screwed up.

With 100% hindsight, maybe?

On paper we were not that bad - and the added UFAs seemed to fit our needs.

If Cory played lights out the way we expected him to play, we had a legit shot to make some noise in the playoffs.

That said: Cory Brunner, Clowe, Ryder, Havlat, Elias, Zajac, have all disappointed, and Cammalleri is on the shelf.

It could have all been foreseen, but in reality - if everything rolls our way we have a nice set of 20-30 goal scorers, a solid D (with Fayne, and Volch (?)) that is getting better with young additions.

Honestly - you would need a lot of wishful thinking to believe we could go on a cup run, but I can see why having a rock in goal could be the place you start.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't care if other teams' fans throw together a shiny package on a hockey forum. If Edmonton is talking Hall, there's no way Dallas has that package on the table. No way.

I usually don't refer to astronomical bidding wars from the trade board when discussing and speculating potential trades.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The only two untouchable players on this team in my eyes are Henrique and Schneider. I listen to offers for literally any other player.

Schneider was not and is not a mistake by Lou.

NHL Fanatik*

I think that is where Lou screwed up. Instead of stepping back and just drafting and rebuilding, he had to just give it one more try right?!

That is where he screwed up. Thinking he could build another contender. Should have just drafted, and we'd already be two years into the rebuild.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I think that is where Lou screwed up. Instead of stepping back and just drafting and rebuilding, he had to just give it one more try right?!

That is where he screwed up. Thinking he could build another contender. Should have just drafted, and we'd already be two years into the rebuild.

It was largely a pride issue as well. Lou is not one to fold even with a crappy hand. You take the good with the bad and this time Lou struck out with the old strategy.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think it is completely legitimate to question Cory's long-term deal.

I still say goalies are commodity and I'm not sure making a long term high dollar commitment to a goalie makes much sense. Especially a team in our condition

Still, I'm not sure I want to call what Lou did a mistake? It was pretty evident Brodeur was on his last leg and Lou had the opportunity to get a good one....I know, but I definitely do understand questioning the contract.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Lol, Schneider was part of the rebuild. A re-tool, if you want to get into semantics.

Schneider cemented our goaltender situation for the next 7 years. Our D is our obvious strong point. The rebuild now consists primarily of stocking up young talent up front. Once we do that, we'll be able to play competitively again.

If Lou plays his hand right, we could compete next year.

NHL Fanatik*

The only two untouchable players on this team in my eyes are Henrique and Schneider. I listen to offers for literally any other player.

Schneider was not and is not a mistake by Lou.

So wasting five years off a contract on a star goaltender isn't a mistake?

NHL Fanatik*

Lol, Schneider was part of the rebuild. A re-tool, if you want to get into semantics.

Schneider cemented our goaltender situation for the next 7 years. Our D is our obvious strong point. The rebuild now consists primarily of stocking up young talent up front. Once we do that, we'll be able to play competitively again.

Compete next year?

Im all for optimism, but who gave you a beer?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I can't take credit (obviously) but KaossKing suggested this shop on the main board Gomez thread and I naturally had to run to RG for it as soon as possible. Cheers to you both:

67U6H7e.jpg

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

We are into the rebuild already. Larsson, Severson, Gelinas, Merrill, Santini, Helgeson. Kinkaid showing promise in net and Wedgewood can't be completely written off yet. Some nice secondary depth pieces up front with Matteau, Quenneville, Boucher, and potentially guys like Bell, Wood, Kujawinski, etc. Henrique is still very young as well. They're missing the elite guys and they need to get them through the draft just like Chicago, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Boston, and St. Louis did.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I think Lou thought a roster of geezers was going to go far in this league. He's wrong.

He had no choice, Boucher and Matteau aren't ready and even if they were, there were/are a lot of spots filled in with those geezers. Jagr, Ryder, Havlat, Elias, Zubrus and you could throw in Brunner with that mix. He needed bodies to fill out the team and those two are the only legitimate forward prospects the team has.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

We can't compete next year, but we have a lot of strong pieces to build on already. If you want to compete next year, then the rebuild won't be done properly and we'll still be going through the same crap. They have to do this properly and not rush it. Within 5 years we can be an elite team. Next year is a stretch.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Zero reason to trade for Schneider.

Lou screwed up.

I'm with you on this, but let's not make it out to be that Lou was crazy. He's built teams from the net out before, and it's not like the strategy can't work now.

I believe we're in an era in which offensive skill is harder to find and more valuable. Despite all the rule changes to support offense, defenses have gotten better and goaltenders have gotten better. I think it's easier to win with replacement level goaltending than it is with replacement level forwards.

Still, Boston (and perhaps NYR and Montreal) are examples of Lou's strategy working. Elite goaltending + high end / elite D. So, if Lou keeps to his guns and finds the right combo, success is possible.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
We can't compete next year, but we have a lot of strong pieces to build on already. If you want to compete next year, then the rebuild won't be done properly and we'll still be going through the same crap. They have to do this properly and not rush it. Within 5 years we can be an elite team. Next year is a stretch.

We're probably looking at 2-3 years in the NHL wilderness EVEN with productive drafts going forward.

NHL Fanatik*

He had no choice, Boucher and Matteau aren't ready and even if they were, there were/are a lot of spots filled in with those geezers. Jagr, Ryder, Havlat, Elias, Zubrus and you could throw in Brunner with that mix. He needed bodies to fill out the team and those two are the only legitimate forward prospects the team has.

He had no choice? Really? Now drafting instead of scrambling to fill a roster, isn't a choice?

Come on man. I understand we needed a goaltender, but you're telling me they had no choice but to try and make this team a contender?

If thats the case than Lou should be fired immediately. He is only setting this team back while attempting to make us contenders.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I think he thought he could cover up their deficiencies with the system and Schneider.

^this.

And I don't think he's wrong.

I haven't been a big Schneider supporter, but from what I saw of him last year and his years with the 'Nucks, it wouldn't have taken a huge leap of faith to think that he could have 17 wins and 5 shutouts at this point.

I am beginning to think that PDB took this team to be a far more responsible set of veterans than it really is. He should have had bag skates every day.

I think a lot of players are just rounding into form and their games are just coming around - About 50% of our players haven't shown up this year, including Cory.

NHL Fanatik*

By then Schneider is 34 and 3 years remaining.

Again, I say trade him now while he has youth and years.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We are into the rebuild already. Larsson, Severson, Gelinas, Merrill, Santini, Helgeson. Kinkaid showing promise in net and Wedgewood can't be completely written off yet. Some nice secondary depth pieces up front with Matteau, Quenneville, Boucher, and potentially guys like Bell, Wood, Kujawinski, etc. Henrique is still very young as well. They're missing the elite guys and they need to get them through the draft just like Chicago, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Boston, and St. Louis did.

I agree...And the thing is, one very good player makes those secondary all better.

When you can bring those secondary pieces into the mix and ask them to perform limited roles and grow it strengthens the entire organization.

That is why this year it is so important to get rid of Ryder, Jagr and Zidlicky...I want 6 top 100 picks in this draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad