Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
just thought i would throw this out there..

amazon has a set of 2 devils (or any team) glasses for $20. $5 off. Hurry, this is an amazon lightning deal and it goes back to $25 at around 2:30pm eastern. Kind of pricey but they would make a good gift.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ATLNSI/

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
@TGfireandice: Lamoriello on response to Bortuzzo-Jagr: “First of all, I don’t worry about how our team responds to those type of situations. ..."

He did say he would be shocked if there was no suspension. That, to me, was shocking. For Lou to take a public stance on anything is so rare...I'm still struggling with the notion.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If we're not going to have Jagr etc., I'd like to see Whitney get another shot. He wasn't bad in the game he played last year. He's got a nice shot and some speed.

If Rod Pelley or Sestito are called up, I'm going to rage

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
So, Andrew Peters of all people just showered us in compliments. He co-hosts a morning radio talk show in Buffalo called 'Sabers Hockey Hotline' that I sometimes listen to on the way to work in the morning. Occasionally he mentions his time in New Jersey and his co-host is deliciously homeristic so I get a good laugh from it every morning.

I thought it was pretty hilarious given the source and our recent situation here so I'll share it with you. Context: apparently someone in the Buffalo media recently said that winning culture and losing culture doesn't exist in hockey. That they are myths, and therefore there are no downsides to tanking.

Peters said (paraphrasing) "Take a look at the New Jersey Devils, a successful team that's won three cups and a team I played for. That team is ALL about winning culture. That's it. That's the only thing Lou Lamoriello cares about and the only thing he instills in his team. He understands that players come and go, the only thing that matters is winning culture. That's it, that's all he cares about. Lou preaches it every day and you know what? the players buy in. They feel it, and it drives them to success. It's hard to understand or describe winning culture if you've never seen it, but that's how the Devils are so successful."

Thought it would be relevant to share given out current situation.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
So, Andrew Peters of all people just showered us in compliments. He co-hosts a morning radio talk show in Buffalo called 'Sabres Hockey Hotline' that I sometimes listen to on the way to work in the morning. Occasionally he mentions his time in New Jersey and his co-host is deliciously homeristic so I get a good laugh from it every morning.

I thought it was pretty hilarious given the source and our recent situation here so I'll share it with you. Context: apparently someone in the Buffalo media recently said that winning culture and losing culture doesn't exist in hockey. That they are myths, and therefore there are no downsides to tanking.

Peters said (paraphrasing) "Take a look at the New Jersey Devils, a successful team that's won three cups and a team I played for. That team is ALL about winning culture. That's it. That's the only thing Lou Lamoriello cares about and the only thing he instills in his team. He understands that players come and go, the only thing that matters is winning culture. That's it, that's all he cares about. Lou preaches it every day and you know what? the players buy in. They feel it, and it drives them to success. It's hard to understand or describe winning culture if you've never seen it, but that's how the Devils are so successful."

explains the never tanking, never selling at the deadline approach lou has taken but doesn't explain why he's been so content with being bad the last two years.
i know there is no magic wand that can fix this and rebuilding this roster using any approach would take time...but roll a head or something lol

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So, Andrew Peters of all people just showered us in compliments. He co-hosts a morning radio talk show in Buffalo called 'Sabers Hockey Hotline' that I sometimes listen to on the way to work in the morning. Occasionally he mentions his time in New Jersey and his co-host is deliciously homeristic so I get a good laugh from it every morning.

I think if you interviewed players that have played for multiple organization including New Jersey they would all say the same thing.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If we're not going to have Jagr etc., I'd like to see Whitney get another shot. He wasn't bad in the game he played last year. He's got a nice shot and some speed.

If Rod Pelley or Sestito are called up, I'm going to rage

He was absolutely atrocious in that game. He was hiding the whole game. Not that I'm opposed to giving him a shot but his first game doesn't help his case at all.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
explains the never tanking, never selling at the deadline approach lou has taken but doesn't explain why he's been so content with being bad the last two years.
i know there is no magic wand that can fix this and rebuilding this roster using any approach would take time...but roll a head or something lol

My guess is he felt the players we had were giving their best and his hands were tied with what moves he could make without selling the farm off.

I doubt Lou is happy about it but he isn't going to tell everyone the details of his mind.

This year is different bevause the metrics and ststs that said we were playing well aren't there and we are still losing.

Lou won't do anything until game 30 near Xmas though. That's his MO

NJDpassantino

Jan 16, 2012

I think they need to go back to their old warm up song lol Does anyone know what year this was their warm up song?

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
So, Andrew Peters of all people just showered us in compliments. He co-hosts a morning radio talk show in Buffalo called 'Sabres Hockey Hotline' that I sometimes listen to on the way to work in the morning. Occasionally he mentions his time in New Jersey and his co-host is deliciously homeristic so I get a good laugh from it every morning.

I certainly love that about the Devils. And it has been great. I have no doubt Lou is trying however he can to improve this team in any way he can to turn this ship around and try and make the playoffs.

All that being said, I think this year is different. We do not have a lot of assets to trade away to bring in any saviors. Our Forward group is older and trending towards the end of the careers. While I love our young D and Goaltending those 2 things alone won't save us.

I really believe trying to trade some of those UFA's close to the deadline will go a long way towards us refilling the cupboard for a future turn around.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Peters played here in 2009-2010 - before Deboer got here. Back then, you could argue that we were a winning culture and settled for nothing less.

Broduer himself stated last year how the team has become complacent and accepting of mediocrity. How much of this is Pete's attitude and how much is Lou to blame (perhaps getting soft in his old age). I'd say it's a little of both. Pete mainly but ultimately, by Lou leaving this scrub loser in place, he is responsible de facto...considering how tightly he runs everything, I'm honestly surprised. We used to blame it on Vanderbeek's financial woes but whatever the reason, how could he sit back and being a losing team 3 out of 4 years?

Last edited by a moderator:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I don't think the NHL player safety hearing on Bortuzzo will bear much fruit. They are reviewing it for a late hit (interference) not as a hit to the head. Probably a fine at most after seeing that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=742155

I thought 2 games if they were going after him for a hit to the head but apparently not.

So the head contact was part of the review after all.

"Predatory in nature"

NHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety 14m14 minutes ago
Pittsburgh defenseman Robert Bortuzzo has been suspended 2 games for interference on New Jersey forward Jaromir Jagr.

For a full explanation of the decision, complete with video, please click on the following link:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=689462&lang=en

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Peters played here in 2009-2010 - before Deboer got here. Back then, you could argue that we were a winning culture and settled for nothing less.

Broduer himself stated last year how the team has become complacent and accepting of mediocrity. How much of this is Pete's attitude and how much is Lou to blame (perhaps getting soft in his old age). I'd say it's a little of both. Pete mainly but ultimately, by Lou leaving this scrub loser in place, he is responsible de facto...considering how tightly he runs everything, I'm honestly surprised. We used to blame it on Vanderbeek's financial woes but whatever the reason, how could he sit back and being a losing team 3 out of 4 years?

We lost our three leading goal scorers over two offseasons. Lou has done what he could to fill those holes, but it's not easy when you have nobody to turn to within the organization and have to do it through free agency or trades. Not to mention two of those guys were legitimate top line players. Their absence means other players are forced into greater roles than they should be. There isn't a GM or coach in this league that is going to be as successful after losing the players we lost as they were with them. I don't for one second think Lou, or the organization has accepted mediocrity. They're just going through a really rough time. It happens.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
"He will not miss anytime" "No injury on the play". If this was career ending, do you think the suspension would be way longer. I hope this lights a fire under Jagr and Gomez. Play some good hockey.

Lou should have been just as ambiguous about Jagr's injury status with the league as he usually is with fans and the media about every other injury to get a longer suspension :sarcasm:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Dano made a good point last night. This doesn't help us at all. We needed this called on the ice or we needed to retaliate.

He deserves his suspension and glad it sounds like Jagr is alright but YA.

Also can we talk about how much of a warrior Jagr is? Everyone tips on his age but he is out there night after night and almost never misses any time with us (has he missed a game outside of the beginning of last season?)

Wish we were able to shave his minutes to make him more effective.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He played all 82 last season, the only time he was 'hurt' was preseason last year where he didn't play at all.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Dano made a good point last night. This doesn't help us at all. We needed this called on the ice or we needed to retaliate.

He deserves his suspension and glad it sounds like Jagr is alright but YA.

Also can we talk about how much of a warrior Jagr is? Everyone tips on his age but he is out there night after night and almost never misses any time with us (has he missed a game outside of the beginning of last season?)

Wish we were able to shave his minutes to make him more effective.

How much less can he play? He is getting around 17 minutes in most games. His minutes are down this season along with his play. Not saying they are related, but he has regressed significantly since last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad