Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
I don't think the NHL player safety hearing on Bortuzzo will bear much fruit. They are reviewing it for a late hit (interference) not as a hit to the head. Probably a fine at most after seeing that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=742155

I thought 2 games if they were going after him for a hit to the head but apparently not.

It's going to be a phone conference meaning NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. What a joke

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I honestly think Sal would have dropped the gloves yesterday. He has done it 2 or 3 times this season.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Josefson is a nice player, but not somebody we should be moving forward with either

Maybe you keep him around for a year or two as a filler, but there is not much he brings to the table

He's essentially a passenger

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Even when Rupp slapped Marty a few years ago, Bernier was all over him and although he got dropped, at least he made a friggen attempt - big reason why those guys made it that far was because they were an actual TEAM, they were playing for each other and their chemistry was noted on the ice and off through many of the things we heard

Another is MacKenzie going after Domi the first opportunity he could when the Devils played the Leafs the following season, the first time Domi was back in the lineup against us after the Niedermayer incident

This team is finished and it's becoming more and more of a chore to watch

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Even when Rupp slapped Marty a few years ago, Bernier was all over him and although he got dropped, at least he made a friggen attempt - big reason why those guys made it that far was because they were an actual TEAM, they were playing for each other and their chemistry was noted on the ice and off through many of the things we heard

Another is MacKenzie going after Domi the first opportunity he could when the Devils played the Leafs the following season, the first time Domi was back in the lineup against us after the Niedermayer incident

How Scott Stevens contained himself to stay in the box after seeing exactly what happened - I will never know. He looked like the Tasmanian Devil ready to bust the box apart and leap on Domi to rip his heart out of his chest like Kali Ma in the Temple of Doom.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I'm 99% sure if someone shoved Cory after the play when everyone was looking at him the Devils would have a reaction to it. When Jagr got hit the only person who might have saw it was Zidlicky who was half way across the ice. Out of all the things wrong with the team this is way down the list. Also they were already down to 9 forwards in a tied game while on a 4 game losing streak would it be smart to rack up penalties against a team like Pittsburgh?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
How Scott Stevens contained himself to stay in the box after seeing exactly what happened - I will never know. He looked like the Tasmanian Devil ready to bust the box apart and leap on Domi to rip his heart out of his chest like Kali Ma in the Temple of Doom.

His veins were bursting out of his neck

My dad was at the next home game in a section by the Leafs bench and there were Leafs fans by him shaking a big Leafs flag. When the team came out to start the game this Devils fan lady grabbed the flag, ripped it as best she could and tossed it down near the Leafs bench :laugh:

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
A lot of these players just haven't been together that long. There are something like 15 players on this team that weren't there in 2012.

Combine that with the losing - they haven't been through any wars together - they haven't done any significant amount of winning together - and you wonder how strongly they actually feel about each other, and how many just feel like hired guns or are already thinking about where their next destination will be.

But for all the grief people want to give players like Salvador and Clowe, there's little doubt in my mind that if they're playing last night, Bortuzzo is dealt with the way he should have been dealt with.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Nobody did anything...If you're going to lack skill and speed at least be tough for gripesakes...Nobody did a single thing - Nothing - The "No Reponse" spoke volumes about this team.

How you not send someone out for retribution is beyond me.

It is was an indication of how far gone this team is...I have never been more disenfranchised with the Devils in my entire life.

I thought the same, but really, is there anybody on the team that could take him on? Maybe Helgeson, but I don't know if he has much experience fighting.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006

I remember there was one angle of it that showed the penalty box official curling up in the corner, seemingly fearing for his life when Stevens started freaking out in the box. It was hilarious.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I don't think the NHL player safety hearing on Bortuzzo will bear much fruit. They are reviewing it for a late hit (interference) not as a hit to the head. Probably a fine at most after seeing that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=742155

I thought 2 games if they were going after him for a hit to the head but apparently not.

TG says he was told they WILL be looking at hit to the head after all. So maybe more will come out of this than I thought.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I thought the same, but really, is there anybody on the team that could take him on? Maybe Helgeson, but I don't know if he has much experience fighting.

Doesn't always have to be a fight.
And in certain situations, even if you aren't capable of handling yourself, you STILL need to stand up...That was one of them.

The fact that the incident didn't enrage the team is the problem.

This looks like a senseless elbow by Pronger...But it was a direct response to Chris Neil running around for 2 consecutive shifts before that...Supposedly Pronger told Neal "Keep playing like that and you are going to get one of your guys hurt"

End Result McAmmond paid for Neal.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Doesn't always have to be a fight.
And in certain situations, even if you aren't capable of handling yourself, you STILL need to stand up...That was one of them.

The fact that the incident didn't enrage the team is the problem.

This looks like a senseless elbow by Pronger...But it was a direct response to Chris Neil running around for 2 consecutive shifts before that...Supposedly Pronger told Neal "Keep playing like that and you are going to get one of your guys hurt"

End Result McAmmond paid for Neal.

They did outhit the pens 15-4 in that third period.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

What was also funny, and ironically brought the team together, was not sticking up for each other during the Flyers series. I remember they had like their collective agreement to not retaliate against the Flyers. Even Giroux's elbow to the head of Zubrus, they just let that go.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It was the same **** in 2008 when Parise got his teeth knocked out in the Ranger playoff series and nobody responded then, it's been a problem for a while on and off in spite of the defensemen we keep around for toughness and the goons we sign and yet never actually do what we sign them for.

And to be honest the Parise one was way worse, or the numerous Avery-Marty encounters.

Truthfully I didn't think the hit last night was that out of line. Yeah a little late, and high, but that was a clean hit 10 years ago.

Not saying we should not have responded, but again, compared to a crosscheck to the mouth? Not nearly as bad.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
What was also funny, and ironically brought the team together, was not sticking up for each other during the Flyers series. I remember they had like their collective agreement to not retaliate against the Flyers. Even Giroux's elbow to the head of Zubrus, they just let that go.

Eh, that was more us playing disciplined against a chippy team, not a team that was crossing the line and walking dirty all over us

Chippy play isn't the same as crossing the line and when the line is crossed as was the case last night and in other instances mentioned in this thread (Domi, Rupp, Parise being crosschecked, etc) then the circumstances are different and you respond by sending a message(s) to the other team that that **** isn't gunna fly

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Starting fresh is a must next season. I'd put it at 75% we have a new coach to start the season next year.

The following will be gone:

Ryder
Jagr
Brunner
Salvador
Tootoo
Bernier
Gomez
Havlat
Possibly Zidlicky

That is more than enough turnover. We need a big time change in culture and we need to bring in some hungry guys.

Let's see what the lines look like:

Cammalleri Henrique Ruutu
Elias Zajac Boucher
Zubrus Josefson Thompson
Thomson Matteau Gionta

Greene Severson
Merrill Larsson
Helgeson Gelinas/Zidlicky

Our forward corp is really in bad shape. It's actually awful. Zubrus should retire...and Ruutu should be slotted at third line center. We obviously can't have 4 rookies on offense (Boucher, Thompson, Matteau,Thomson) although Thompson is older...
Elias can't be asked to play a top 6 role. We need 2 or 3 top 6 players. Lou really has a tough task ahead of him and i'm not sure he's up to it at this stage of his career. This is going to take around the clock phone calls/emails...or whatever gms do to make trades or sign players.
Maybe he can pick someone from overeseas or college ala clarkson or rafalski.

With that lineup I'm going to church and light a candle for a top two pick and Soderberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad