Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
Devils have 5 back to backs this month. After this weekend, there will be 3 straight back to backs on Friday and Saturday.

Out of the next 13 games, 10 of them will be back to backs.

edit: and than December looks really brutal up to christmas, almost a game every other night for 20 days straight with very little time for rest or break. This could get ugly...

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
The lack of an NHL backup goaltender makes absolutely no sense to me on a win-now team. I was on here saying that on July 1st. I wanted Nabakov but several would have fit the bill. Not Marty - that ship has sailed. I just don't get this Clemmensen nonsense. 4 or 6 points will likely determine this team's playoff fate and a backup goalie may very well determine those 4 or 6 points and here we are in early November and already they are grasping at straws with no idea who is going to play when 35 isn't out there. Dumb.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Didn't we all know Clemmensen was just here to hold the clipboard in the first place?

I mean it was pretty clear from preseason that Cory was going to start every game in October and that Kinkaid was getting games in Albany instead of sitting and that he was always the 'real' backup.

I thought that was a known?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Didn't we all know Clemmensen was just here to hold the clipboard in the first place?

I mean it was pretty clear from preseason that Cory was going to start every game in October and that Kinkaid was getting games in Albany instead of sitting and that he was always the 'real' backup.

I thought that was a known?

Some people still flipped.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Just wait for Kinkaid to struggle...then....he returns.

I'm as big a Cory supporter as we have and, while it might not be a popular decision, I couldn't hate on bringing Brodeur in as an undisputed backup later in the season if he remains unsigned. Cory has the contract and the cage now. I'd welcome Marty to have a better sendoff than he did last season.

The only thing that would give me pause would be if we were bubble team and, unfortunately, I think that's what we'll be for much of the season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I could argue that we would have won the cup in 2001 if we still had Claude. Bobby Holik said the same thing. He signed some stupid 4 year contract (at age 35) with Phoenix and then ended up in Dallas, where they eventually bought out the last year of his deal. A 4 year contract for a 35 year old was very rare 15 years ago.

I always attributed the Malakhov=>O'Donnell change being the major difference between 2000 and 2001. O'Donnell was a good defenseman, but just the wrong type of guy to pair with White.

Henrique,Jovanovski's and Otts numbers to be retired by the Windsor Spitfires.

http://www.ourhometown.ca/hockey/MR0452.php

I picked up a Henrique-era Windsor jersey when I visited in September to watch McDavid. Debating whether to have it customized. Did spot one lady with a Spitfires jersey with "RICO 14" on it at the Devils' home opener.

-------------------------

Signs I've watched too much pro wrestling: The thought of a mystery goalie is intriguing. Chance for Steve Cangialosi to do his best Jim Ross impersonation when the goalie unmasks (preferably with theme music). "BAH GAWD KING, THAT'S TOMAS VOKOUN'S MUSIC!"

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hated Sean O'Donnell. I mean really hated him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is it possible to struggle getting 15 - 22 games over 6 months?

Lou did have to convince Vanbiesbrouck to come out of retirement in 2001 when they didn't feel great about using J.F. Damphousse down the stretch. But I think there'd be other/better options if Kinkaid wasn't able to keep his spot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hated Sean O'Donnell. I mean really hated him.

Who didn't?

Lou did have to convince Vanbiesbrouck to come out of retirement in 2001 when they didn't feel great about using J.F. Damphousse down the stretch. But I think there'd be other/better options if Kinkaid wasn't able to keep his spot.

Hence one of the reasons why people are paranoid he'll do the same thing with 30. Although Marty did say he had an end date in mind if he wasn't signed.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who didn't?

Hence one of the reasons why people are paranoid he'll do the same thing with 30. Although Marty did say he had an end date in mind if he wasn't signed.

Did he say he had an end date in mind?

I'd only be for Marty coming back, if Cory had a long term injury. I still don't think he'd help us much though. Don't forget his usual slow starts, and it could get ugly fast.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I vaguely remember that in one of the Marty articles posted a while back, don't think it was TG/Chere though. Might have been something on one of the Canadian websites.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I saw Marty on the NHL Network do an interview and he said he had an end date in mind and wouldn't discuss the date.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's been almost 7 months since he's seen any game action. I would have to think if it's going to happen for him it would have to be in the next month or so.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I saw Marty on the NHL Network do an interview and he said he had an end date in mind and wouldn't discuss the date.

Love the guy but I hope the date is soon. There have already been a few goalie injuries around the league and he hasn't gotten the call.

I just want to have Marty night and celebrate him at The Rock.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Love the guy but I hope the date is soon. There have already been a few goalie injuries around the league and he hasn't gotten the call.

I just want to have Marty night and celebrate him at The Rock.

They asked Scott Niedermayer in Anahiem about Brodeur. He did not give back a concrete answer. Remember Roloson was the back up last game. Could be one of the last teams he has a chance on.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
If nobody has given Marty a call by about early December then I have to think he'll hang em up. Like people have said, you can't go that long without game action and hes never been one to play his best after a long layoff. Its sad that this is happening but this is the route he chose.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I was with Marty twice last week through work

He's enjoying himself plenty with this free time, would love to be back in action, but no complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad