Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
lets be optimistic ..all our players (except the young D) are playing "meh" hockey right now
one by one, little by little they'll all start coming around and this team will be winning at a .700 clip

playing .700 hockey means they will have 115 points

good luck with that.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
He is actually having a very good season so far. He is at about 50.6% possession (as measured by Corsi for), and that is while being anchored with Salvador. Without Salvador so far is is at 65.9% possession.

You need to actually watch the games. I don't care what super stats you want to use, Zids has been brutal. I have to say Pete has given him too much slack. he should have been sat for some of the pond hockey $h!t he's pulled. If I was behind the bench he would have been nailed down on at least three occasions.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
You need to actually watch the games. I don't care what super stats you want to use, Zids has been brutal. I have to say Pete has given him too much slack. he should have been sat for some of the pond hockey $h!t he's pulled. If I was behind the bench he would have been nailed down on at least three occasions.

I do. Outside the miscue vs the Rangers he has been very good. Especially when you consider he is mostly olayed with Salvador (who has been beyond awful).

wellonegm05*

Well there in lies the problem. Everyone now is convinced these fabricated new super stats unveil the secret to building a winner. Its all nonsense, but I get why people are so enamored by it. Its cool and hip and trendy. It makes them feel smart using "advanced" stats. Its the money ball phenomena.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Zidlicky signed a 1 year 4 million dollar deal this offseason. If he was in such demand he would have been able to get a better deal. If traded people will be shock on the return.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Zidlicky signed a 1 year 4 million dollar deal this offseason. If he was in such demand he would have been able to get a better deal. If traded people will be shock on the return.

he would return a decent haul at the deadline

most likely a 2nd + decent prospect

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you guys want to debate the merits of playing hockey or not to having an opinion, continue it in PM's...we're getting WAY off 'Devils team discussion' now.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Is Lou still our GM? Because I don't remember the last time we traded a veteran for a draft pick and decent prospect.

Well first you have to have the veteran worth that return. Who the years we missed the playoffs could we have gotten both a pick and a prospect that we didn't re-sign?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well first you have to have the veteran worth that return. Who the years we missed the playoffs could we have gotten both a pick and a prospect that we didn't re-sign?

Well four years ago they DID trade their vets for the most part, except for Moose and Greene who were both re-signed. Three years ago people debated not trading Parise in the offseason, but we went to the Finals and there was always the chance ownership issues got resolved and he'd re-sign so I don't agree with the second-guessing there.

It's really the last two years that were the most debatable but they really wouldn't have gotten anything more than a pick for Clarkson and Fayne. Technically they were on the fringe of the playoff race both times though. Still I think they should have at least traded Fayne since they clearly had little intention of bringing him back, but the fact they didn't and kept Larsson in the minors in hindsight you could see as a red flag though I don't want to bring that discussion here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Last season: Fayne
One before: Clarkson

Ya man, some elementary stuff right there.

Based strictly on the criteria Parise could be thrown into the mix as well, but I'll take the run over whatever return there could have been.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Last season: Fayne
One before: Clarkson

To be fair, I believe we were still in the playoff hunt at the deadline in both of those cases. In hindsight, yes we should have probably gotten something for them. Although I'm not sure what the return for either of them would have been.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Ya man, some elementary stuff right there.

Based strictly on the criteria Parise could be thrown into the mix as well, but I'll take the run over whatever return there could have been.

We didn't' miss the playoffs the year Parise was in his last deal. My point was Lou isn't trading vets for draft picks if we are a bubble team.

kiwidevil

I'd like just another centre on Zajac/Henriques level that can balance out the lines and give us another Centre to try some different lines out when needed. Like a Vermette or Bonino.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd like just another centre on Zajac/Henriques level that can balance out the lines and give us another Centre to try some different lines out when needed. Like a Vermette or Bonino.

Vermette's got wheels and is good in the faceoff circle too. Although looking through our own stats, Henrique is really improved so far this year at 57%. He's actually better than Zajac right now.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I'm glad we have 4 wins so far, because we had only one 1 win after the first 10 games last season.

But I'm comparing this team with the team that finished last season, and I don't see much improvement, if at all.

-Our forwards still suck, they can't score.
-Our PK is abysmal after being great.
-Goaltending has been OK, but not great.

And what the hell is bothering Havlat besides his cuts? Seriously. Why is that man made of glass?

We seriosuly need help up front. It's probably time to package Larsson to get some serious help up front.

A player that has been the biggest disappointment so far for me is Travis Zajac. He's playing like a 4th liner with the puck, looks completely off his game, and his game irks the crap out of me considering he's supposed to be our 1st line center.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Yea, I mean there record is obviously better but the quality of play isn't much different from last October. Cammalleri and Severson are basically the difference right now. Cory has done somewhat of a Marty impersonation with the Mr. Softee's and besides for Henrique, the rest of the forwards have been pretty average, bad, or status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad