Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
LMFAO at "Next McDonagh."

Pure and utter garbage. McD is one of the best skating defensemen in the entire league. The only question about him coming out of Wiscy was how high is the offensive ceiling? Dude is an absolute tank of skates and can shut it down against the elite forwards in the league. Hockey IQ is through the roof an outstanding PKer. There isn't a single valid comparison between him and Larsson.

Laughable overreaction...

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Devils aren't winning tomorrow with the meaning of that game in Ottawa. I already wrote tomorrow off.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I can't even be upset if they lose tomorrow. Ottawa deserves a win after everything that happened.

Looking at the Penguins game and seeing maybe an early must win.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly I thought there was a chance they played Clemmensen if we won tonight, not so much now.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I like to see Zajac demoted from top line. Play the best offensive players together:
Elias-Cammalleri-Jagr
Brunner-Henrique-Ryder
Clowe-Zajac-Zubrus
Ruutu-Josefson-Gionta

Does Elias and Jagr just not work? I haven't seen them on the same line for ages. Maybe it is time to try it again.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Larsson + for Wheeler ? I trust swedes info on Lou chasing him all summer and wpg is off to a terrible start.

Larsson
1st
2nd
Black?

Wheeler
2nd

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Larsson + for Wheeler ? I trust swedes info on Lou chasing him all summer and wpg is off to a terrible start.

Larsson
1st
2nd
Black?

Wheeler
2nd

Not interested in giving up our 1st this year; i personally think we should look to sell off what we can of the UFA wingers (Brunner, Havlat, Jagr, Ryder) plus Zidlicky (maybe Zubrus/Salvador if anyone wants them too) and let the kids get some playing time this year. I wouldn't package our 1st for a big name since it could be quite high up the way we've been playing.

Call up Boucher/Matteau etc if it's apparent we're out of the running and let them get some seasoning; sell off the UFAs and try to get a late 1st / some second rounders to continue restocking the cupboard at forward. It's likely maybe only one of those four wingers is back next year to begin with anyway; Brunner will probably want out unless he starts getting substantial minutes, Jagr might retire, Ryder hasn't been a great fit for us and Havlat is still a reclamation project.

If we fall away from the playoff pack and recovery looks grim, sell the deadwood (UFA's / veterans) and try to make next years version of the NJ Devils significantly younger and faster, that's all i ask. The band of veterans clearly cannot match the intensity of many teams in this league and the style of hockey we've been playing is embarrassing at points.

There are too many misfit / redundant pieces on this team for it to be successful, particularly in the forward positions. We need to cut most of them loose and build around the little "core" we have going; Cammalleri, Zajac, Henrique, Greene, Severson & Merrill. Noone will trade for Clowe i imagine, but he can still be useful in a limited role in the bottom 6, same goes for Ruutu. Keep Elias too obviously, but if his production continues to be bad then he'll probably have to settle for 3rd line duties.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
no way we should give up our 1st

although we'll just use it on a 2-way forward who can grind in the corners anyway

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Zubrus has no business being in the top 6, let alone our #1 LW.

If Havlat is out:
Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Ruutu-Elias-Brunner
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Zubrus-JJ-Gionta

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Question is, what the hell has happened to Elias. He is not his usual self. Old, slow and no vision.

I don't know what the hell he was thinking with that circling at his own blueline ******** in OT. Sometimes this team tries to be too fancy and it makes me want to break something.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
I don't know what the hell he was thinking with that circling at his own blueline ******** in OT. Sometimes this team tries to be too fancy and it makes me want to break something.

I wouldn't blame this team for taking chances in OT. They know they can't win a shootout, so why not take risks in OT? The shootouts cost them a playoff spot last year and may well do so this season (if other factors don't).

Hopefully they can figure out the top lines soon, but with Camm & Havlat being new additions, it does take some time to develop chemistry and settle on the best combinations.

It does seem like they need to make a deal soon. They will play 15/20 on the road starting Nov. 6th. I'm not sure they need players grumbling about playing time during such a brutal stretch of road games.

When do they make a deal?

- In the next week or two, before all these away games?
- In another month or two, once some other teams are about ready to give up on the season?
- At the deadline, when they may get more?

If they deal Larsson, there seems little point in waiting until the deadline. I doubt teams are going to offer more at that point for an unproven D-man. In the case of the forwards, I guess it depends on which one:

- Jagr & Havlat: If they deal either/both of them, it will be at/near the deadline, as it will basically be giving up on the season.
- Ryder: Would probably fetch more at deadline.
- Brunner: He may fetch more at the deadline, but if he doesn't get top 6 minutes, will he become a distraction?
- Zubrus & Clowe: They probably don't fetch much either way, and least Jagr has familiarity with Zubrus.

So if it's a matter of trading players before they become too much of a distraction, I could see them dealing Larsson... and possibly a forward such as Brunner, in the very near future.

If it's a matter of figuring out which pieces don't fit and waiting until some other teams have done the same and are more willing to make a deal, then perhaps expect something more around December.

It's not like either of those would preclude them from becoming a seller at the deadline as well.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Whoever mentions trading our first again should go get some help. We could be drafting in top five, especially if Cory continues to give us average goaltending. Besides the obvious top two, there are some other good centers to be taken. And I agree as posted that this may be the year that Lou is a seller instead of a buyer. He sees what we all are seeing.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Shootout loss. Blown leads. Poor special teams. Vets blowing assignments.

I understand why everybody is soiling themselves.

I still think it would be a good idea to take a breath and at least get to November before demanding anything.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Jagr isn't a first-liner then we don't have a first-liner period. Other than Cammalleri I suppose.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Same can said for Jagr....but NOBODY would admit that.

Jagr looks every bit the slug Zajac does but with better hands. So I understand what you're saying. But there are just no other options. That's the problem. Cami is about the only guy you could make a case for being on the top line of basically any other team in the league. All the rest would be second liners at best. Most would be 3rd and 4th liners.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Already talking about who we should sell off seven games into the season. Good stuff as usual on here....

I agree however, this team is not good and will not make the playoffs. The D is very young, the forwards aren't strong and the goal tending is unproven at best. You needed to be realistic with expectations. With that being said, this is a huge year for this organization. I think it's critical that they find out what they have on D and if they can build around it. I'll say this I was flamed when I said this team would give up 300 goals this year but that was an exaggeration to prove a point but this team is going to give up a ton of goals this year.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
see, the way i see it, you have to put players together whose styles fit one another, aka in positions to succeed. i know its armchair mode, but hear this out.....

clowe-zajac-jagr (three guys built to muck and grind; cammalleri might be "too fast" for that spot IMO and clowe brings much more offense than zubrus)
cammalleri-henrique-brunner (these three all bring the speed/skill element and should theoretically be able to feed off one another in that sense; it would be nice to have an entire line that could do that)
havlat-elias-ryder (havlat and elias dont thrive off a speed game and they do a lot of nice give-and-go type plays and cycles; throw ryder in there, who doesnt thrive off a speed game either, to hopefully find some open seams while the other two play around to set up a shot)
ruutu-josefson-zubrus (josefson looked good last night and he usually thrives when playing with a couple bigger guys who can bring physicality and grinding ability; remember when he was with carter/bernier right before the playoff run and his injury....but if pete insists on gionta, i suppose he could take ruutu's spot)

IDK i think those combinations are the best possible, given what they have, and could do some nice things

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
is it ethical to cheer for the Devils tomorrow night? :laugh: I'm actually being semi-serious here.

Why because of the Ottawa thing? Or because we're already angling for draft position after seven games?

If it's the former, screw that. If the Rangers were going to Ottawa you know they wouldn't be laying down for them, why should we? In the end it IS just a game, it isn't going to change what happened in Ottawa. If it's the latter, well it's expected HF hyperbole I suppose (even though I don't believe we're making the playoffs either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad