Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
Tootoo is out tonight and CamJam is actually hurt as well. Upper body injury.

4th line is Ruutu-JJ-Gio tonight. Brunner playing in Havlat's spot.

Yeah i saw that on tgs blog just now. But thanks for the info. :nod:

Well i was just giving a solution to the "must play salvador the fighter" argument but i guess we are stuck with our heavyweightbruiser Mr cochlear implant.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
We all knew that all of the prospects were not going to pan out. We seem to be lucky that 3 seem to be turning out pretty good, with a couple others on the way so who knows. But 1 was bound to "fail"

I still think Larrson will get a ton of games this year as some point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't know... Look at Nichushkin...I mean if you get past any fears of Russian flight, I don't know how you don't pick Nichushkin.

I watched a lot of his highlights in his draft year and he played the game like a power forward and he was effective on either wing...He is a beast at 6'4 200lbs...

Given the opportunity there is no way I would've passed on him...

He said some things that maybe have spooked some people about not wanting to play in the minor leagues...If the kid was Canadian and said he didn't want to play in the minor leagues people would've seen it as confidence.

But all those concerns could be ironed with a little due diligence.

all of this can not be considered hindsight because these very discussion happened before the draft on this board.

Honestly because the Devils knew what they did about Kovalchuk leaving (even though it wouldn't be public till later), they would have been doubly skittish about Nickushin all things considered, due dilligence or not. I'm glad they traded the pick for Cory instead of having us ***** about them picking Domi or Horvat instead of the Russian :laugh:

wellonegm05*

on which team?

Its funny, on the other thread someone brought up seguin. He is a good comparison. He was totally mismanaged, under utilized, criticized regularly, stuck playing 3rd and 4th line roles many a time, and even occasionally scratched. And because of that Boston got a pretty awful return for him considering the player he has now become. I hope the same happens here with Larsson. Honestly, the only way for real change to occur is for the mistakes being made to become so glaring that even the blindest of sheep can not ignore them. But as long as the mediocrity continues, and Lou and Pete keep convincing everyone that the only reason we didnt make the playoffs last year was because of a "statistical aberration" and "bad luck" in the shootout, then for all intents and purposes this nonsense will continue.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Honestly because the Devils knew what they did about Kovalchuk leaving (even though it wouldn't be public till later), they would have been doubly skittish about Nickushin all things considered, due dilligence or not. I'm glad they traded the pick for Cory instead of having us ***** about them picking Domi or Horvat instead of the Russian :laugh:

Very good point. But I like swinging for the fences with the first pick...this is why I have no problems with a players like Tedenby being picked over a Carlson in the first round.... and I have no problem when that player doesn't pan out.

Drafting on skill alone is dangerous business. Because it so often just doesn't translate to the NHL or it is mitigated by bigger, stronger and faster NHL players...and then you usually are left with a player that can't do anything else.... still don't mind swinging for the fences though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would have liked to see Larsson get another couple of games at least before going back to Gelinas, but let's see how Gelinas plays tonight. Maybe the game off will get him back to where he was the first couple games.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 6m6 minutes ago
DeBoer on why Larsson is sitting: "We're putting the best lineup on the ice to win tonight."

Deboer has nothing against him .... right ?

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 20s20 seconds ago
I asked Pete DeBoer how to shutdown or counter Dallas when Benn, Spezza, Seguin are out together. His answer: "I don't know. Got any ideas."

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m1 minute ago
I asked Pete DeBoer how to shutdown or counter Dallas when Benn, Spezza, Seguin are out together. His answer: "I don't know. Got any ideas."

Fantastic coach we have

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Salvador-Zidlicky, guaranteed.

DeBoer on why Larsson is sitting: "We're putting the best lineup on the ice to win tonight."

Oh christ, don't tell me he figured out how to clone a team of Giontas.

wellonegm05*

So, we can conclude that playing Salvador and Gionta gives the team a better chance to win than Larsson, Boucher, Gomez, etc? So sick of this company line bs. Boucher even when up here was one of those players who always seemed to be around the net, and getting off a lot of shots. I hope when we lose this clown atleast has the courage to say he was wrong about the whole "to win" thing. But no, it'll be more of the "we did some good things", "the effort was there", "we had some bad bounces", etc.

wellonegm05*

So atleast he's honest. However it is also confirmed he is stupid.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Fantastic coach we have

Yeah, let's just announce to the public how we're going to try to shut them down. Genius. Also, this isnt football where you install individual game plans each week to shutdown specific players. Some of you are unbelievable. How much **** can we possibly whine about?

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
And DeBoer continues to prove exactly what we were all thinking. Larsson got a whole 12 minutes of play and then gets scratched again, fantastic asset management right there.

I so badly want this team to succeed and do well, but at the same time i so badly want this coach to be gone. The internal conflict of being a Devils fan is destroying me :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Fantastic coach we have

Hmmm...sounds like he was joking. But hey, if it fits the narrative...

wellonegm05*

And DeBoer continues to prove exactly what we were all thinking. Larsson got a whole 12 minutes of play and then gets scratched again, fantastic asset management right there.

I so badly want this team to succeed and do well, but at the same time i so badly want this coach to be gone. The internal conflict of being a Devils fan is destroying me :laugh:

Yea I just want some entertaining hockey. I do hope though, that when this team fails to make the playoffs again, or squeaks in and gets crushed in the first round, it will be evident who has been right and which group has been wrong, and all the pro Pete and Lou crowd finally shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad