Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
you have a choice between Matteau+Quenneville or somethign around Fiala/Perlini

besides, Lou didnt even know we were getting a pick back this year. at the time he should have given it up. in hindsight its a tossup

yeah, I agree that conventional wisdom says we should have given it up ---

but how do YOU know what Lou knows? ? ?? :D

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Tundra does have a Crystal ball and is not afraid to use it.

He was quick to bash Lou because he traded for Cory in lieu of drafting the Russian.

Goaltenders are easier to find typically. Look at the drafts of recent years. They keep plummeting. I still maintain that Nichuskin long term will be the more valuable asset. I could be wrong..

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This board constantly harps on the fact that the devils aren't able to develop players properly because they are constantly saddled with poor draft positions & now we have people reversing course and telling me that the lower picks are more valuable?

Merrill
Gelinas
Severson
Henrique

ALL in two years. I like it.

GhostofKenKlee

Maybe it doesn't mean a lick, with Scott Swedish behind the bench, One would think having a fellow countrymen would be a good thing for Adam.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
This board constantly harps on the fact that the devils aren't able to develop players properly because they are constantly saddled with poor draft positions & now we have people reversing course and telling me that the lower picks are more valuable?

Depends upon the draft - but I think you are missing the point that in the context the decision was made - that information wasn't available.

You can't say for certain that we would have ever had the 11th pick. It might have been the 30th.
You can't say for certain we wouldn't have had our pick restored.

Lou took a gamble and won - sort of - and in retrospect, it's a wash.

If Matteau and Quenneville develop into players for us - then we are likely better off than what we would've gotten at 11 this year.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I was too. Not really 'bash'...but I would've like the forward...I did say a'known commodity is better than an unknown and it was probably a 'No brainer' but I really wanted a forward with that pick.

Purely speculation, but I bet the Devils might have looked at the guy that was actually taken with that pick. Seems to me that after Tedenby and Josefson they would want safer bets to make the NHL and Horvat seems like that type of guy.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Okey. Then we just have to keep playing salvador. He'll clear the crease while the opposing forwards keeps scoring.

You put players in the best position to succeed. if Gelly can find a physical aspect to his game, do to the level of what sal does than you can move Sal out of the line up. You truly want to expose AL, ask him to do exactly what Sal does. Helgeson is learning just how to do that this year in Albany so when his with the big club next year he can step in.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Purely speculation, but I bet the Devils might have looked at the guy that was actually taken with that pick. Seems to me that after Tedenby and Josefson they would want safer bets to make the NHL and Horvat seems like that type of guy.

I don't know... Look at Nichushkin...I mean if you get past any fears of Russian flight, I don't know how you don't pick Nichushkin.

I watched a lot of his highlights in his draft year and he played the game like a power forward and he was effective on either wing...He is a beast at 6'4 200lbs...

Given the opportunity there is no way I would've passed on him...

He said some things that maybe have spooked some people about not wanting to play in the minor leagues...If the kid was Canadian and said he didn't want to play in the minor leagues people would've seen it as confidence.

But all those concerns could be ironed with a little due diligence.

all of this can not be considered hindsight because these very discussion happened before the draft on this board.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
to be honest i would rather have gelinas in over larsson anyway but it is quite ridiculous the way he is handled.. trade the kid already hes just going to dip after hes done here anyway

pretty much how i feel

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
You put players in the best position to succeed. if Gelly can find a physical aspect to his game, do to the level of what sal does than you can move Sal out of the line up. You truly want to expose AL, ask him to do exactly what Sal does. Helgeson is learning just how to do that this year in Albany so when his with the big club next year he can step in.

Adam can handle PKtime. Adam can handle time with Greene against other teams top line.

He might not wrestle Thornton to the ice but play Janssen instead of tootoo 4min/night and Adam dont have to.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
What does this mean for the PP?

Zid-Severson and Brunner-Merrill last game.

Brunner with 2 assists, Merrill with a goal. Leads to one of them getting removed for Gelinas?

Classic Pete.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
That would be so awesome if they call the game together... or at least a period. I miss them doing the PBP so much.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I keep reading that they'll be calling "some" of the action. Do we know how much of the game they are doing? I really hope the entire thing...

im pretty sure I read 5 minutes. Chico made some joke about squeezing it down from 6. maybe that referred to something else tho

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If Dano and Steve and stepping aside (as in it won't be 4 people calling the game) it could be for a period.

Would be clumsy to switch teams out mid period even during a TV timeout. Still I would say maybe half the second period will be doc and Chico.

wellonegm05*

What does this mean for the PP?

Zid-Severson and Brunner-Merrill last game.

Brunner with 2 assists, Merrill with a goal. Leads to one of them getting removed for Gelinas?

Classic Pete.

Would we expect anything less? Its crazy listening to people talk about absurd coaching and management decisions with such blind support. Lou has even got some of the fans drinking the cool aid. This bs about "heart" "grit" etc, all nonsense. Perhaps we need to make a call to the bullpen and sign Mr Intangibles himself, Chris Drury. He's old, got "heart" and all the things Pete and Lou seem to love.

Even the Larsson thing is just getting disgusting. Hearing people claim Severson has "earned his spot" in all of 6 NHL games. Praising Merrill as a lock and "having earned" his spot when Merrill quite frankly has produced fairly similarly to what Larsson did, on a much longer and more favorable leash.

The team quite simply needs a major overhaul in terms of the overall philosophy that drives decisions.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Adam can handle PKtime. Adam can handle time with Greene against other teams top line.

He might not wrestle Thornton to the ice but play Janssen instead of tootoo 4min/night and Adam dont have to.

Tootoo is out tonight and CamJam is actually hurt as well. Upper body injury.

4th line is Ruutu-JJ-Gio tonight. Brunner playing in Havlat's spot.

wellonegm05*

Tootoo is out tonight and CamJam is actually hurt as well. Upper body injury.

4th line is Ruutu-JJ-Gio tonight. Brunner playing in Havlat's spot.

That about sums it up. There are individual "spots" in Pete's mind. As opposed to actually playing the best available players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad