Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I get that RRp2 is more of a tradition for the Devils than any other team, but I can't believe this is such a big deal. A team you like scored a goal. Who cares what song plays after?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I get that it seems silly to some, but I can say it's a big deal to me and all my Devils fans friends up here in NY. A big disappointment that's talked about often. Even their children are upset.

You, or anybody else, are not any better than us for not caring as much.

Wait, so there are children that are now upset that they cannot yell "You Suck" at a hockey game? That's unfortunate. I don't think I'm better than anyone, I just don't understand how people can be so mad about a goal song.

goawaygary*

BTW the "Sucks" part is rather easy here. "Lets go Devils ... (Insert opponents name) Sucks ... Lets Go Devils .. (Continue)"

If you listen to the song its rather obvious.

See this is what I don't understand. Why would the Devils tweet this.

THEY KNOW a lot of fans want the song back. Isn't this rubbing salt into the wounds of your own fans.

It's like a veiled way of saying "yea we hear you guys chirping about the song again...well here's what we think. hahaha it ain't coming back"

RJK

Feb 25, 2010
NC
omg your talking about the goal song still here also? i don't understand why so many focus on a song that plays for 30 secs at a time during a 3 hour live event. it's a fraction of the experience and not really an important one at all

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
As a 6-year season ticket holder in the lower bowl, I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on this organization in just that time frame. Therefore, I will voice my displeasure with the new owners decisions in any way I feel (within reason). If they don't like hearing me boo, or say sucks, or my emails and calls, they can stop taking my money and eject me from the arena.

Where do all of you anti-RnRP2 people hide in real life? I have yet to meet a single Devil's fan - at the arena or otherwise - who supports this decision.

The boos will be prevalent on Saturday night. If you don't wish to hear them, don't show up.

I think that some are against it, but don't feel strongly enough to get in an argument about it ... and some others don't really care at all (either way).

Speaking for myself (granted, as someone at or near the upper end of the age group here), I think the "You Suck" in the middle of the goal song is silly, but I'm not losing sleep over it. The refusal to accept that the goal song has been changed and an attempt to figure out a way to insert "You suck" is (to me) petty and juvenile.

Having said that, what I REALLY find embarrassing is:

1. The whistling and "Rangers Suck" 10x/game ... when the Rangers aren't in the building (and, yes, it's a blatant ripoff of MSG's "Potvin Sucks"

2. The "add-on" of the Flyers to the "Rangers Suck". Yes, I know that a hockey game need not be G-rated, but it's gratuitous, childish, and not particularly clever.

Throw in the "suck" upon the introduction of every opposing player ... can people at least get a little more creative?

And I really don't think that obscene chants make a building any more difficult for an opposing team.

But, as a parent of two teenagers (and one 20-year old) ... I am aware that I know nothing :)

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
i'd never boo a goal song but Bon Jovi is absolutely terrible and should never again be associated with this state. to hell with him and his awful music.

goawaygary*

Jon+Bon+Jovi+Jon+Bon+Jovi+Attends+St+Louis+SzTRk5MhfCzl.jpg

screw bon jovi. This is grounds for immediate expulsion from the state of NJ and possibly beheading

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
I get that RRp2 is more of a tradition for the Devils than any other team, but I can't believe this is such a big deal. A team you like scored a goal. Who cares what song plays after?

Because RRP2 was the goal song for 20 years. Growing up we heard RRP2 after every goal. Every time I hear the song, I think of the Devils scoring. And anytime the Devils score I think of that song. Thats why its important.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Because RRP2 was the goal song for 20 years. Growing up we heard RRP2 after every goal. Every time I hear the song, I think of the Devils scoring. And anytime the Devils score I think of that song. Thats why its important.

Growing up Martin Brodeur was always the goalie for the Devils. Every time I went he was in goal and was amazing. I always looked forward to watching him play.

What's my point? Things change, that is life, and it isn't always a bad thing.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014

i agree with this. i'm not going to protest games or anything but i would like to have the song back. the "you suck" addition is a little childish but nobody had any complaints during the Cup run, especially when it was directed at the Flyers and Rangers.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Having said that, what I REALLY find embarrassing is:

1. The whistling and "Rangers Suck" 10x/game ... when the Rangers aren't in the building (and, yes, it's a blatant ripoff of MSG's "Potvin Sucks"

2. The "add-on" of the Flyers to the "Rangers Suck". Yes, I know that a hockey game need not be G-rated, but it's gratuitous, childish, and not particularly clever.

Throw in the "suck" upon the introduction of every opposing player ... can people at least get a little more creative?

And I really don't think that obscene chants make a building any more difficult for an opposing team.

But, as a parent of two teenagers (and one 20-year old) ... I am aware that I know nothing :)

Alright so then just don't do those chants, no problem.....but just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should ruin the fun for everyone else.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Some people just don't like change. The song was there for a long time. Now it isn't. Eventually people will get over it and move on. Let's just be thankful that so far the goal song is about all we really have to complain about this year (well, that and the never ending argument about the fourth line).

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Growing up Martin Brodeur was always the goalie for the Devils. Every time I went he was in goal and was amazing. I always looked forward to watching him play.

What's my point? Things change, that is life, and it isn't always a bad thing.

I mean, i get your point...but a player can't play forever.

How would you feel if the Devils completely changed their jerseys. Would you say "its just the jerseys, it doesn't really matter, time to move on"?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean, i get your point...but a player can't play forever.

How would you feel if the Devils completely changed their jerseys. Would you say "its just the jerseys, it doesn't really matter, time to move on"?

I mean we already had to switch from home whites to home reds. The teams I watched win cups won in white, not red. Teams in all sports make changes to jerseys and logos. It happens all the time.

Hell Machester fans and fans of other English footballl teams, teams that are old as dirt, have new jerseys every few years because of the ads. Doesn't stop them from going every day and going nuts for their team.

In the end this stuff is really trivial.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
To add to the above: I definitely hate most Devils fans and I'm not shy to not say it. I've said it plenty before. Overall, for better or worse, we're an over-expecting, over-privileged, young, immature, ungrateful fan base.

I hate you too buddy.

:heart:

:sarcasm:

Or maybe not

;)

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
Alright so then just don't do those chants, no problem.....but just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should ruin the fun for everyone else.

Fair enough ...we just have different ideas of fun and that's fine.

But if that's your attitude, then you should understand and respect the fact that perhaps those chants "ruin the fun" for others? Whose fun is most important?Or certainly be open to the possibility that hearing the Devils home crowd boo after a goal "ruins the fun" for others?

Again, the You Suck in the middle of the goal song? Not my thing, but doesn't bother me at all.

Chanting "Rangers Suck" when the Rangers aren't there? Not sure why that's anyone's idea of fun (maybe once a game?)

"Rangers Suck/Flyers Swallow"? ... not sure why that's part of the fun at a Devils/Sharks game, and recognize that hearing it (over and over again) might "ruin the fun" for some people?

goawaygary*

I mean we already had to switch from home whites to home reds. The teams I watched win cups won in white, not red. Teams in all sports make changes to jerseys and logos. It happens all the time.

Hell Machester fans and fans of other English footballl teams, teams that are old as dirt, have new jerseys every few years because of the ads. Doesn't stop them from going every day and going nuts for their team.

In the end this stuff is really trivial.

Let's not drag the Devils and the NHL down to the toilet of European soccer. With the jersey ads and the murderous fans and such...you really don't want to equate one with the other.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I honestly could care less what the goal song is but that probably has to do with the fact that I'm 1,000 miles away from the Rock and haven't been to a home Devils game in 10 years, although growing up I did equate RR pt2 to the Devils scoring since I got so used to it but nowadays it really doesn't affect me.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Fair enough ...we just have different ideas of fun and that's fine.

But if that's your attitude, then you should understand and respect the fact that perhaps those chants "ruin the fun" for others? Whose fun is most important?Or certainly be open to the possibility that hearing the Devils home crowd boo after a goal "ruins the fun" for others?

Again, the You Suck in the middle of the goal song? Not my thing, but doesn't bother me at all.

Chanting "Rangers Suck" when the Rangers aren't there? Not sure why that's anyone's idea of fun (maybe once a game?)

"Rangers Suck/Flyers Swallow"? ... not sure why that's part of the fun at a Devils/Sharks game, and recognize that hearing it (over and over again) might "ruin the fun" for some people?

I actually don't even do the swallows chant. It doesn't bother me though. To be honest, I just think the fans should be able to chant whatever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad