Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
IF Larsson sits he will get a chance to beat someone out. Almost certainly many chances. Let's see him do it. Severson obviously did.

I think they kept the best players and have a pretty well structured team. I don't see how they are being picked so low with the talent they have on the back end.

If you believe in building from the goalie out, you have to like what you see when you look at the Devils.

How the hell is Larsson going to beat somebody out by sitting in the player suites?

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
If Sal misses any significant time, I wouldn't be surprised if Helgeson plays in his place over whichever D is sitting.

I'd be fine with that, but I really think Sal having a good season is a big key in the Devils' chances of being any kind of contender. That's what I'm rooting for. Hard.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
IF Larsson sits he will get a chance to beat someone out. Almost certainly many chances. Let's see him do it. Severson obviously did.

I think they kept the best players and have a pretty well structured team. I don't see how they are being picked so low with the talent they have on the back end.

If you believe in building from the goalie out, you have to like what you see when you look at the Devils.

um, how, exactly?

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
No hate. He played great. Which is why smart money is on Gelly sitting (not Lars).

But if he isn't up to game shape, he could sit and Gelly play his role.

We are solid up and down on D. That is the point. Everyone stop complaining and start celebrating. This is our best group of 7 D-men since we moved to the new building.

It is a little confusing. Everyone wanted the youth movement on D - and they're going to get a whole lot of it this year. And more.

It's a good problem to have. The days of the immobile pylon have passed. There's an ass ton of talent all coming through at the same time and developing together. Its going to be fun to watch. If you want something really depressing, go look at the Dmen who saw time for us in 07-08, for example..

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
How the hell is Larsson going to beat somebody out by sitting in the player suites?

It's the NHL. He will get his chances. It's not like the clock on him has run out. He's 21.

And IF he sits, and he may not, it's because he got beat out by a guy even younger than he is, not some mediocre vet. He should take that personally.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It is a little confusing. Everyone wanted the youth movement on D - and they're going to get a whole lot of it this year. And more.

It's a good problem to have. The days of the immobile pylon have passed. There's an ass ton of talent all coming through at the same time and developing together. Its going to be fun to watch. If you want something really depressing, go look at the Dmen who saw time for us in 07-08, for example..

I don't think anyone wanted one of the young DMen sitting.

I'd rather have Harrold as the #7 in the pressbox with Severson playing nightly in Albany than have Harrold in Albany and one of the young guys playing.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It's the NHL. He will get his chances. It's not like the clock on him has run out. He's 21.

And IF he sits, and he may not, it's because he got beat out by a guy even younger than he is, not some mediocre vet. He should take that personally.

who would you rather have playing nightly- Bryce Salvador or Adam Larsson?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 19s20 seconds ago
Devils announce Jordin Tootoo will wear No. 20 -- belonged to Ryan Carter up until yesterday.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005

The way the Devils are structured right now, Salvador. But he has to fill his role capably, otherwise Helgeson.

I think Larsson is ahead of Gelinas, but Gelly on the PP is such a weapon, it's not easy to take him out.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The way the Devils are structured right now, Salvador. But he has to fill his role capably, otherwise Helgeson.

I think Larsson is ahead of Gelinas, but Gelly on the PP is such a weapon, it's not easy to take him out.

:laugh:

thats all I need to know.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Who would you rather have killing penalties Salvador or Larsson?

Who would you rather have clearing the crease Salvador or Larsson?

Again roles are completely lost on you. Larsson isn't playing or sitting over Salvador.... Larsson is competing with Merrill and Severson for a spot

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
What really worries me is if Larsson starts the season as the 7th guy and he sulks and his confidence is tanked from the get-go for this season. He clearly is one of those players who needs to be coddled rather than kicked in the ass and it looks like the current coaching staff is continually trying to kick him in the ass. Robinson was great as a mentor for Adam.

All this said, I'm very excited to see what Severson can do.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
What really worries me is if Larsson starts the season as the 7th guy and he sulks and his confidence is tanked from the get-go for this season. He clearly is one of those players who needs to be coddled rather than kicked in the ass and it looks like the current coaching staff is continually trying to kick him in the ass. Robinson was great as a mentor for Adam.

All this said, I'm very excited to see what Severson can do.

I don't think they are coddling him or kicking him in the ass.

I think they will play the best six and if he's not in it it's up to him to get in it.

He can't say it's ageism, because Merrill is 22 and Severson is 20.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Again roles are completely lost on you. Larsson isn't playing or sitting over Salvador.... Larsson is competing with Merrill and Severson for a spot

Honest answer Larsson. I want the guy better able to get to pucks, make a pass and clear the zone. Especially on the penalty kill.

"Crease clearing" is a little over rated in the NHL. It is more about box out play and being able to clear the puck.

But i will agree it isn't necessarily Salvador vs Larsson.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
oh great, Severson straight to the NHL. will end well.

also rather have Carter than Tootoo but okay

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Honest answer Larsson. I want the guy better able to get to pucks, make a pass and clear the zone. Especially on the penalty kill.

"Crease clearing" is a little over rated in the NHL. It is more about box out play and being able to clear the puck.

But i will agree it isn't necessarily Salvador vs Larsson.

Fair enough, but what about Helgeson? Bigger, stronger guy than Larsson who can do all of the things you mention.

To me, he is Salvador's backup, not any of Larsson/Merrill/Severson.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

Salvador plays big PK minutes because he can't play PP and he's a dumpster fire at ES. On the PK, he doesn't have to move much.

He doesn't play it because he excels at it. He plays it because he needs to get minutes somehow.

Look up our stats on the PK last year when Salvador was hurt. They are virtually identical (and actually better) than our PK with Salvador in the line-up.

You can talk about roles all you want but Salvador is putrid wherever you put him.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
as much as I love Larsson I think at this point just trade him away and let him actually play somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad