Devils Team Discussion (All Current Team/Player News) - Offseason thread part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
well...I mean, someone's gonna have to go eventually. of the group you mentioned, I would part with larsson or gelinas- but only if our trading partner is overpaying for them. as they should.

Why? Even if we don't rid ourselves of Volch or Sal, they'll be gone in '15 and '16 respectively. By that time Merrill or Larsson (or both) could be well-cemented into the top 4, Gelinas can bottom-pair, and Severson should be ready.

No reason to think we can't gradually move these kids in and up as they develop.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
A) 7 months younger
B) Zajac is paid to be #1 center, when he isn't one. Kesler has put up elite numbers, with terrible linemates
C) Zajac plays with the best players on our team, Kesler plays with MUCH less talent. Example, this year, Jensen-Kesler-Higgens, was one of the most popular combination. Compared to Jagr, who has been on Zajac's wing for the majority of the season.
D) Ok lol

Kesler hasn't put up elite numbers in 4 years now. hes clearly declining.

and Zajac should get penalized for playing with Jagr recently but Kesler shouldnt get penalized for playing with the stars he did when he was putting up elite numbers?

and I am assuming the "OK lol" response was you conceding that my point D was 100% correct.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Why? Even if we don't rid ourselves of Volch or Sal, they'll be gone in '15 and '16 respectively. By that time Merrill or Larsson (or both) could be well-cemented into the top 4, Gelinas can bottom-pair, and Severson should be ready.

No reason to think we can't gradually move these kids in and up as they develop.

we aren't going to have a team with six DMen who are like 25 or younger. its not going to happen.

Semak

Kesler wouldn't OK a trade to NJ, so why is this even a topic of discussion?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
we aren't going to have a team with six DMen who are like 25 or younger. its not going to happen.

Five at most, plus I only mentioned four.

And what does the age really matter? It more about experience than age.

We (statistically) had one of the best defenses in the league last year and that included Merrill (rookie), extended periods of Gelinas (rookie) and Larsson (youngest of the 3), with Sal, Volch, and Harrold sucking up minutes.

Would you really argue that in just a couple of years Merrill and Larsson couldn't give you what Greene and Fayne did last year? Or that Severson and Santini couldn't play as well as the two black holes or Harrold? When Severson and then Santini would be ready to step into important roles, our current youngsters would already have a good amount of NHL seasoning.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

we need upgrades on offense more than we need any of that. asset management 101 (not Lou's strong suit) dictates that we get a more balanced prospect pool. IMO it has nothing to do with gradually moving kids in

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Kesler hasn't put up elite numbers in 4 years now. hes clearly declining.

and Zajac should get penalized for playing with Jagr recently but Kesler shouldnt get penalized for playing with the stars he did when he was putting up elite numbers?

and I am assuming the "OK lol" response was you conceding that my point D was 100% correct.

Kesler is actually 3 years removed, but Zajac is 4 years removed. So by that logic, Zajac is clearly dealing too. Zajac struggled to put up points playing with Jagr, and Zajac got 60+ points playing with Parise+Langs.. Kesler NEVER had a line mate like Parise for an entire season. No you are not right, it is an opinion statement.

NHL Fanatik*

Didn't Kesler used to play with the Sedins?

And who thinks NJ will make a trade tonight?

GhostofKenKlee

If Lou can get a 5th. for Volchenkov and a 6th. for Salvador and Ryder for a 2nd and a 3rd. also I'm all for trading some youngsters for a bonafide mid 20's scoring forward. Not a Kesler and Sharpe. You can sign guys the same age on the UFA market and a bit lesser skill set.

GhostofKenKlee

Pacc apparently is on the block. Not sure why MTL wants him gone though.

Lafleur called him out for being soft along with Vanek. For a big guy, he plays a soft game despite being a goal scorer. That series aganist the Rangers was a collective letdown.

GhostofKenKlee

Didn't Kesler used to play with the Sedins?

And who thinks NJ will make a trade tonight?

They will pick up picks today and possibly make a splash. However, I see Hextall being very busy to prove he's not another Snider rubber stamper.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
we need upgrades on offense more than we need any of that. asset management 101 (not Lou's strong suit) dictates that we get a more balanced prospect pool. IMO it has nothing to do with gradually moving kids in

Asset management 101? There is no 101, there are various ways in managing your young talent. This organization was one of the top in the league for a long time without having many highly regarded top 10 forward picks. Asset management is simply about maximizing your resources. Having cheap and productive defensemen allows you to sign higher-priced free agents if needed as well as pay the ones you already have.

Trading a #1 pick for a young and talented forward is a lateral move.

A way to get a more balanced prospect pool?

- Sign Sekac
- Focus on drafting best forwards available this year
- Trade next years #1 for a young forward.

The Devils would add 4 forwards to Boucher/Matteau (depending on trade), Black, Bell, Kujawinski, and Wood...not to mention Henrique and Zajac who I expect to be top6 players here for a long time.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 15m
Agent Pat Brisson has spoken with six teams so far regarding UFA G Martin Brodeur... it's a process, will heat up more after the draft

Shhh nobody tell them they are getting the 42 year old version

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But nobody wanted him at the deadline lol

Clearly there was and is some market for him, obviously Lou didn't want to deal him. But how many of those teams would he actually start on?

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Asset management 101? There is no 101, there are various ways in managing your young talent. This organization was one of the top in the league for a long time without having many highly regarded top 10 forward picks. Asset management is simply about maximizing your resources. Having cheap and productive defensemen allows you to sign higher-priced free agents if needed as well as pay the ones you already have.

Trading a #1 pick for a young and talented forward is a lateral move.

A way to get a more balanced prospect pool?

- Sign Sekac
- Focus on drafting best forwards available this year
- Trade next years #1 for a young forward.

The Devils would add 4 forwards to Boucher/Matteau (depending on trade), Black, Bell, Kujawinski, and Wood...not to mention Henrique and Zajac who I expect to be top6 players here for a long time.

The wild card is the Schneider negotiations. If he has shown any hesitancy or reluctance to stay with this team long term than trade him over the summer.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I can see him going on a Dwayne Roloson type run, playing with a new organization for the first time in his career could give him a spark. Hopefully he finishes up after next year though, I don't want him to end on a horrible note

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It doesn't generally end well with old HOF'ers latching onto new teams at the end of their career. There are situations I could see him putting up good numbers as a backup if he adjusts, or short term as a starter before he breaks down. If he goes to Toronto he'll be on IR by December with neck spasms from all the shots he'll face.

GhostofKenKlee

I can see him going on a Dwayne Roloson type run, playing with a new organization for the first time in his career could give him a spark. Hopefully he finishes up after next year though, I don't want him to end on a horrible note

I wish he would of Dwayne Rolosoned us into the playoffs the last two seaons. Now all the sudden he's going to become this wunderkind in goal. I have a feeling that the later happens to him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it's possible he could go on a run if the teams starter gets injured. One of those hot streaks he's had the past couple seasons. I wouldn't rule that out, but l really am highly skeptical of him holding up for an entire season.

An -900 save percentage and close to a 3 GAA for the season wouldn't surprise me. A low winning percentage too if the teams offense is crummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad