Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tlusty to one-year one-way deal

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey
We'll see. What I want us to do is draft and properly develop our prospects, and then give the ones who are most ready a shot. What we are currently doing is throwing a bunch of you know what against the wall and hoping something will stick. There is a big difference between the two.
I think the common consensus (At least I feel this way) is that nobody expects every prospect who cracks the lineup this year will pan out and become legit NHL caliber players. But over the last several seasons there have been players held back or set back in their development path because of the status quo mentality. I would rather miss the playoffs and see hope for the future, see some direction and have some optimism that we are a step closer to competing than miss the playoffs with a bunch of past their prime useless players. Check how many forward we had in our lineup the past two seasons under the age of 30 and get back to me. PLayers like Boucher and Matteau (whether some feel they are ready or not or will end up meeting their potential or not) could have already been in the league in favor of Zubrus and Jagr or Gomez. Despite how productive they were. We were going nowhere.

We still have players with NHL experience. Nobody thinks or expects us to be a all rookie or unproven team of prospects that are rounding out a roster. Even with Tlusty, if you asked me my prediction on the guys that will end up making the team that fall into the prospect or kids category I think it will be Kalinen, Zacha, Matteau and Boucher. And there is room for them. Whether they establish themselves as a mainstay and effective players that are a part of our future or not remains to be seen. But our player development and utilization of players we drafted have been effected over the recent years because we were a veteran team that rans its course.

Last edited:

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey
It is definitely a fine signing and does not hold back prospects or set the team back any further. It is a 1 year risk free deal and he is a decent player who could crack our top 6.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
He's a cheap forward who, if he plays well, can be moved at the deadline. If he plays badly, he sees the press box.

This is the definition of a no-risk signing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And hasn't a vast majority of this board been saying things like ''I think Ray has something else up his sleeve. He'll bring in another top 6 forward before camp most likely by trade'' well here it is, it's just not by trade.

And I realize Tlusty isn't a guaranteed top 6 forward but let me ask you this. Does trading one of Merrill/Gelinas and Matteau for a proven but young top 6 forward actually somehow not slow down the rebuild even further than signing Jiri Tlusty to an $800k one year contract?

I would actually think a deal like that slows it down more.

Agreed, if you are going to bring in a forward to help the team now. This is what you do, you don't trade away what little promising assets we have for middling junk (because while I like both Merrll and Gely, they don't have much trade value right now).

Plus didn't Boucher just get a concussion?

Other reason this doesn't hurt letting the kids play. He is getting paid PEANUTS. We can make him disappear easily if a kid outplays him for a spot.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
I'd agree that we have legitimate NHL talent coming through the pipeline.

But only literally a couple guys IMO.

Zacha, JQ, as far as forwards go. Maybe Boucher.

The other guys either probably aren't ready (due to hardly having any time as a pro yet) or they just aren't very good (Paul Thompson and Graham Black) and probably won't ever do anything at the NHL level.

And honestly, I'm not sure Zacha or JQ are ready yet. I'm thinking Zacha might be, JQ not so much.

There's no need to rush these guys though, as they're only currently 18 and 19 years old.

I think Coleman and Blandisi could become decent 2-3 line tweeners.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Coleman and Blandisi could become decent 2-3 line tweeners.

Agreed, and I don't think we should undersell Kuja (though I think he will take more time).

Outside of Zacha no top 3 talent, but there is some potential. Could definitely end up with another Rico or two.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Agreed, and I don't think we should undersell Kuja (though I think he will take more time).

Outside of Zacha no top 3 talent, but there is some potential. Could definitely end up with another Rico or two.

Kujawinski will probably need at least a full year in the AHL if not more but I think he can become a solid bottom6 contributor.

NHL Fanatik*

Really like the team with the new acquisitions (pretty sure Stempniak will do well)

Camm - Zajac - Palmieri
Henrique - Tlusty - Stempniak
Elias - Zacha -

and after that idc haha. But anyway... I like that a whole lot more.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
To be fair to Whitney, he was more than proven at the AHL level.

But I don't think "appreciating the Tlusty signing" and "thinking Whitney didn't get a fair shot" are mutually exclusive.

The problem for me is when kids are passed over for someone like Tim Sestito, not Tlusty.

i believe also that shero and hynes were interested in whitney but he was a free agent and signed elsewhere in any case if he never does anything who cares.... i personally think he can be a good player but thats not on shero or hynes its on lou and debeor

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Really like the team with the new acquisitions (pretty sure Stempniak will do well)

Camm - Zajac - Palmieri
Henrique - Tlusty - Stempniak
Elias - Zacha -

and after that idc haha. But anyway... I like that a whole lot more.

Tlusty is a wing and I think we see Quenneville before Zacha.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Stastically speaking, he's more productive than a guy like Zajac.

By a major way I really meant that he wasn't likely to be the difference between making the playoffs or not. There really aren't any free agents out there that would make that kind of difference, but, as I said, he's a good signing, especially at the salary and the term he signed for.

As for him being more productive than Zajac, Zajac's failure to be productive is a big reason why the Devils aren't in the playoffs. Zajac hasn't helped the team in a major way for awhile, and that's part of the reason why our team is struggling. Zajac needs to be a lot better next year if the Devils are to improve. Zajac is one of the more frustrating players left on our team in my opinion. If Zajac produced as much as Henrique, for example, the Devils would be quite a bit better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad