2021-22 Cup Champs Avalanche vs 2023-24 Avalanche: Which team is better?

2021-22 Cup Champs Avalanche vs 2023-24 Avalanche: Which team is better?

• 2021-22 Cup Champs Avalanche

Votes: 187 89.9%
  • 2023-24 Avalanche

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Even

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

LaCarriere

The 2022 team was as close to the perfect machine as you could get in today's NHL. You can argue that Makar, Mackinnon, Nuke are all better players today but Rantanen has disappointed and Toews has regressed a bit too. Couple that in with

Kadri > Mittlestadt
Kuemper > Georgiev
The absence of Landeskog

I think the 22 team beats today's team in 5 or 6
Everyone waz saying kuemper was suspect at best at the time.

I think georgiev definitley is missing the defensive game of landeskog, and kadris career offenive year.

put the team kuemper had infront of him and i think georgiev falls more in line with kuemper. Hes regressed quite a bit on a washington franchise thats falling out of of contention

Reactions: TanguaySauce

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Noone is gonna take the 23-24 avs, and rightfully so.
Not fair for the current team to make this thread. Should wait to see what happens with the current run. If they go on to win the cup and only lose 3 games, I’m sure the tone will be a lot different, but right now it’s just a pointless thread

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
As amazing as Nichushkin is as a net front presence, Landeskog has this in spades. Not only was Landeskog equal or better on deflections but theres something else about Landeskog thats severely missed and underrated. He had an uncanny ability to wall off defenders so D from the point would have a shooting lane.

The 2022 team had a lot of shots go in from the point after working the high to low. Gabe, it seems, was the magic sauce. As great as Nichushkin is in front of the net, he's missing that extra something that Gabe had.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
People saying Avs had goaltending in 21-22. Francouz was an awesome backup, but we had a one-eyed-Kuemper as the starter.

One-eye Kuemper still put up a respectable .902 and 2.57 GAA in the playoffs. RS Kuemper was .921 and very solid.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
By far 21-22. This year they got some of that depth back, but they still had better depth that year and Makar had been fully healthy and coming off a Norris season.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
2022 Avs were one of the most dominant teams of the cap era.

16-4 in the playoffs with bad goaltending. There were barely any games in that run where they didn´t outplay the opponent.
This.

The 22 Avs were an absolute machine. They had the luxury of Kadri playing like a #1 center that year as well. During the playoffs, the only time I was really ever concerned was when Kuemper shit the bed in game 5 against the Blues, which should have never been a loss had he played a little better. Other than that, there were only a few games where the Avs weren’t the dominant team. They could have easily gone 16-2.

This team is is a hell of a lot better than last years, but that 22 team was special.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The 2022 team was as close to the perfect machine as you could get in today's NHL. You can argue that Makar, Mackinnon, Nuke are all better players today but Rantanen has disappointed and Toews has regressed a bit too. Couple that in with

Kadri > Mittlestadt
Kuemper > Georgiev
The absence of Landeskog

I think the 22 team beats today's team in 5 or 6
Toews definitely hasn’t regressed. Kadri/Kuemper over Mitts and George is questionable.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Why would anyone think this is close?

Your goal is to win a Stanley Cup. So the poll presents you with two options:

The team that won a Stanley Cup or the mystery box?

And don't forget the 3rd option, the one that lost in the 1st round with JTC at the 2C position lol.

Last edited:

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I think people forget how much of great player Landeskog is since he's overshadowed by MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar, etc. His grit and toughness combined with his offensive skill are really missed.

He had 22 points (11g, 11a) in 20 games during the cup run. Without him in the line up, no way anyone can pick this team over the the 2022 team.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
This is dictated by the strength of that Avs team.

You say the opponents were bad. Thats because the 2022 Avs made them look bad.
I said the avs aren't as good as they were in 2022 AND the competition improved.

A team trying to threepeet doesn't indicate anything about the competiton. Tampa lost several guys from their earlier runs and also carried a roster under the cap compared to 2021.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That '22 team was playing their best hockey at exactly the right time. Big contributions from guys like Kadri, Lehkonen, Nichushkin. OT GWGs from Josh Manson and Andrei Burakovsky. Series clincher from Darren Helm. Even Kuemper had 3 games of .949, or better, against Tampa. Every time that team needed something, a different guy would step up and make it happen. Better than the sum of its parts.

We've got guys this time that could do that, but sitting here at the end of the first round, you can't predict it. The smart money is that they don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad