Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tlusty to one-year one-way deal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
New Jersey Devils ‏@NHLDevils 2m2 minutes ago
#NJDevils have agreed to terms with free agent forward Jiri Tlusty to a one-year, one-way contract.

I'll probably get beaten to this lol (and I did)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
New Jersey Devils ‏@NHLDevils 2m2 minutes ago
#NJDevils have agreed to terms with free agent forward Jiri Tlusty to a one-year, one-way contract.

I'll probably get beaten to this lol

I thought maybe I might be the first to post it, though I was pretty sure I would get beaten to it since it was 3 minutes old by the time I saw it!

And I like this deal, even if he sucks, it's not 2 years like big nose.

Ray must have been able to intimidate him in to caving!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He did have a very good year after the lockout (23 goals and 38 points in 48 games) but before and after that, not so great. But yeah having him on a one-year deal is fine by me.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
stanley-cup.jpg

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
He did have a very good year after the lockout (23 goals and 38 points in 48 games) but before and after that, not so great. But yeah having him on a one-year deal is fine by me.

I'm fine with it, but isn't he going to take away a spot from one of the kids as I've been told is such a no-no?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The thing I like as opposed to Brunner is that he's more proven than Brunner was. We got Brunner after just a half a season of NHL experience and he was in unknown.

And it Tlusty sucks, he's gone after this season. We don't have to worry about him being signed into next season and blocking someone from making the team out of camp, like when we had him and didn't sign Gomez, and he still rotted up in the press box anyway for the first 7-8 games of the season,

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm fine with it, but isn't he going to take away a spot from one of the kids as I've been told is such a no-no?

Like who? Boucher?

Boucher probably doesn't belong in the NHL yet anyway, or at least I'm not anywhere near convinced he does. Would have been nice to see him in the preseason though, hopefully his concussion isn't too serious and he's able to play in the preseason.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Didn't Shero say the reason he let Zubrus go was because he wanted some room in the roster to develop the youngsters? I guess this proves he was lying cause he just took another spot away from one of the prospects. Was it all just lip service?

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Will help keep us in that 5-10th draft pick range....

soooo status quo...

Not a fan of this move, does nothing to help us long term and potentially slows down the rebuild.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
He's always been pretty productive for a 2nd/3rd line tweener. And that one great season he had during the last lockout was with Eric Staal and Semin as linemates, I think. He won't have that sorta support here, but I like that this gives the team a ton of flexibility in terms positions, and some insurance for things like Ruutu being trash, Josefson washing out and Henrique having to play center, that sorta stuff.

Holy crap, and for only 800k? Count me in. That Tlusty had to take so much less than Frolik, a very similar player, is hilarious. You won't see me complaining though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't Shero say the reason he let Zubrus go was because he wanted some room in the roster to develop the youngsters? I guess this proves he was lying cause he just took another spot away from one of the prospects. Was it all just lip service?

Gimme a break.

Who is he taking a roster spot from? Reid ''such a great sniper that we've never even seen a snipe from him in 30+ NHL games'' Boucher?

Paul ''I had one good AHL season and have been an average player at best in the AHL the rest of the time'' Thompson?

One of these guys like Blandisi who barely have any AHL experience yet and probably aren't ready yet?

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Gimme a break.

Who is he taking a roster spot from? Reid ''such a great sniper that we've never even seen a snipe from him in 30+ NHL games'' Boucher?

Paul ''I had one good AHL season and have been an average player at best in the AHL the rest of the time'' Thompson?

One of these guys like Blandisi who barely have any AHL experience yet and probably aren't ready yet?

Blandisi might make the team, but yeh, mostly everyone else can only benefit from playing junior+AHL. Bringing them up too soon would be confidence shattering.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It seems some people want young guys just for the sake of playing young guys.

Most of your young guys are either probably not ready for the NHL yet (though I think one or two could surprise) or they just probably aren't very good (*cough* Paul Thompson *cough* and I can't believe I just called him a young guy too).

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Gimme a break.

I'm with you Bleed. I've been lobbying for us to bring in anybody who can help the team to which I've mostly been mocked because "why bother since we aren't making the playoffs anyway".

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Tlusty is making less than a third of what Zubrus was making, for what'll likely be 300% more production. This is a zero-risk move for a top-6 forward. Lots of people were clamoring for another addition up front, and I'd rather see this than trading assets away for anything at this point.

If anything, this makes me think the Giontas and Tootoos of the world aren't safe. They're gonna be the ones in danger of getting pushed out of a spot by Matteau/Blandisi/Coleman IMO.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I'm with you Bleed. I've been lobbying for us to bring in anybody who can help the team to which I've mostly been mocked because "why bother since we aren't making the playoffs anyway".

Yes, and then people complain that NJ has crappy prospects. How can we ever evaluate anyone if we don't let them play in the lineup?

Someone mentioned Whitney. How many games did he actually get in our lineup? How many of those games was in the top 6?

He scored a bunch of goals in a top 6 position in Albany, but without the minutes how can you expect any forward prospect to ever develop in NJ? Did we really give Whitney a chance?

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

you're a constant ray of shining optimism around here I see

oooh new nickname for Shero?

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Not a fan of this move, does nothing to help us long term and potentially slows down the rebuild.

Its not supposed to help us long term. This is for right now.

And how does it even minimally potentially slow down a rebuild in any way shape or form?

Its a no-risk move in every respect. Whose minutes is he taking?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shero giving that explanation when talking about the buyout of Zubrus was just a nice way of saying ''Zubrus doesn't belong in the NHL anymore. He's taking up a spot that someone else could be using, whether it's a youngster or a veteran that can contribute more. Zubrus no longer has the ability to effectively play in the NHL anymore'' and I'm sorry I have to trash the guy again but let's be serious, all of what I said was the gods honest truth and Ray isn't gonna say ''We're buying out Zubrus because he sucks''.

And while Tlusty is no youngster (but apparently Paul Thompson at the same age is to some people) he's still 10 years younger than Zubrus and I'd be willing to be much more effective.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I agree with ghandi. this is just a plug to shelter the realllllly raw kids. really not a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad