Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Kulikov

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Like you, I'd love to bring in a guy like Erik Cernak to New Jersey. But though I agree with you that it makes sense -- I don't foresee the Lightning trading any of their very talented RFA trio (Cernak, Sergachev, Cirelli) until they have exhausted all possible options of trying to keep them in Tampa.

Tampa has problems with cap, i think Sergachev is their priority, and they has only 3KK under the cap. The second and most important thing is future seattle draft. Hedman has NMC, Mcdonaugh, Cernak, Sergachev and Foote are available for this draft. They cant protect them all and will lose someone for nothing. Or they can trade and have something and safe money and space for Sergachyov.

If they will trade Foote to us i would be pretty ok with it )

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
It's the old engineering adage as applied to hockey - good, cheap, healthy, pick two.
Yep, and that's pretty much the type of veteran signings the Devils should be doing at this stage; short-term, low cap hit, good players that other teams pass on due to issues like injury history, useful to help out our own young guys and/or to serve as trade bait come the deadline...and worst case, if they get hurt and don't play much it's really no harm, no foul.

Once the Devils demonstrate they've got the goods to legitimately contend for the playoffs (and they may well do that this season), then it'll be time to go for a guy or two with higher price tags/fewer flaws in their history that bring their prices down.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Tampa has problems with cap, i think Sergachev is their priority, and they has only 3KK under the cap. The second and most important thing is future seattle draft. Hedman has NMC, Mcdonaugh, Cernak, Sergachev and Foote are available for this draft. They cant protect them all and will lose someone for nothing. Or they can trade and have something and safe money and space for Sergachyov.

If they will trade Foote to us i would be pretty ok with it )
I know everyone is convinced Tyler Johnson will go in the expansion draft (he’s originally from Spokane! That’s only ~250 miles away from Seattle!) but pawning off McDonagh to the Krakens might make the most sense. The flat cap prevents his contract from aging gracefully but Francis might be tempted by all that veteranyness. I don’t think BriseBois is afraid of losing him at this point, moving McDonagh would arguably solve more his problems than moving TJ.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I know everyone is convinced Tyler Johnson will go in the expansion draft (he’s originally from Spokane! That’s only ~250 miles away from Seattle!) but pawning off McDonagh to the Krakens might make the most sense. The flat cap prevents his contract from aging gracefully but Francis might be tempted by all that veteranyness. I don’t think BriseBois is afraid of losing him at this point, moving McDonagh would arguably solve more his problems than moving TJ.

Would be interesting to see how they will protect their players. For Seattle, Tampa can become Florida of Vegas. If i was Seattle manager I would pick available D from Tampa. And McDonagh is a best option if younger one are not available.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I don't think Tampa would opt to trade McDonagh -- he was an absolute beast all playoffs long. Tyler Johnson would certainly be the Lightning top trade option, in my mind. As a Devils fan, I'd be willing to take on Johnson's deal, but only if it meant also getting a player like Cernak or Cirelli at reduced cost. I'd add Sergachev to the list, but as with McDonagh I'd have to say that the Lightning will go to any possible length to retain him in the fold. I think most knowledgeable fans would agree that Cernak or Cirelli are the likely names to leave Tampa if they can't find another way to get under the salary cap.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think Tampa would opt to trade McDonagh -- he was an absolute beast all playoffs long. Tyler Johnson would certainly be the Lightning top trade option, in my mind. As a Devils fan, I'd be willing to take on Johnson's deal, but only if it meant also getting a player like Cernak or Cirelli at reduced cost. I'd add Sergachev to the list, but as with McDonagh I'd have to say that the Lightning will go to any possible length to retain him in the fold. I think most knowledgeable fans would agree that Cernak or Cirelli are the likely names to leave Tampa if they can't find another way to get under the salary cap.
If the world was functioning normally and the cap was rising yearly I would agree with you because McDonagh’s 6.5m salary wouldn’t become much of an issue if he stayed healthy. I just don’t how they can keep all these defensemen in the next few years and considering his back is becoming an issue he might be the expensive guy to dump on defense.

If Sergachev is a future top 2 he will need big money after his bridge deal and Point’s got two years on his left. I know everyone Ohs and Ahs over those bridge deals but you can only give those once to each player and making them all so short has certain drawbacks. Johnson and Killorn could get them under the cap this off-season at best but the cap not likely rising much at all in the next 4 years.

BriseBois was presumably planing on limboing under an upper limit that was getting a big bump from Seattle alone. (Vegas brought a 4.5m jump in one year.). I’m not sure what they need to do to make it work but short term they are going to have enormous trouble trading those forwards and long term they have a lot of stars to pay.

I don’t know how interested Fitz is in taking any multiyear deals on, they are all cap dumps in this market. I would want things like team’s 2022 1st (top 3 protected only) and go from there, there can’t be that many takers for those forwards.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad