Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Kalinin to 1 Year ELC

Kykke

Jun 30, 2009
You're right he is left handed what I meant to say was he plays right wing that we need desperately.

How do we know which position he plays? Last season he took almost 600 faceoffs (3rd in team) so maybe like he's been playing as 3rd line center.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Maybe its a sign Shero is going to get away from Little Gio as the 4th line center??

Who here is in for a Josefson - Kalinin 3rd and 4th line center combo!

Really would like to see JJ as the 3rd line C, get him talent to work with. Maybe Kalinin on his wing. Prefer that neither guy is on the 4th.

Maybe Im being optimistic, perhaps more so with Kalinin who I've never seen, but then again our lack of talent is such that either guy as a 3rd liner does not seem like too much of a reach.

Zub's as 4th line C.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Considering we're light on RW, I'd bring back Bernier for a 1 year deal at $1.75 mil or else a 2 year, 2.25 million total deal.

Guy started out last year not even in the NHL..we're keeping his career afloat but he hasn't done anything to warrant making anything more than a 3rd/4th line depth guy, even considering last year.

Regardless, we still need a 1st line RWer...(marner?)

I'm totally cool with bringing Bernier back.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's going to be interesting to see where Kalinin fits in but you have a lot of new faces that will be competing for forward spots next year.

Kalinin, Matteau, Boucher, probably Paul Thompson... interesting that Thompson came to us from Scranton, Shero must have lots of knowledge about him...

Then there are the "older" NCAA prospects like Coleman and Pietila that can easily make a strong push in camp...I'm most curious to see if Kujawinski and/or Blandisi even get a preseason game or if they go straight to Albany...Helgeson, Hrabarenka, Scarlett will all be making a push in camp and I expect someone else to turn some heads...maybe not make it, but put themselves on the radar in preseason...someone like Ben Thomson or Graham Black? And who even knows what else will be brought in because we all know more will come...

Should be a very interesting summer leading into prospect camp then big boy camp...I get the feeling this team isn't going to remotely resemble last years team come October.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
forgot that Thompson will also be in the mix. Matteau is on the team, have to think Kalinin is on the team.

Could see one of the college guys making a push. But thomson and Black seemed poised for more substantial roles in Albany to further their development.

big year for Boucher coming up. would love to see him earn his way onto team. But no matter where he ends up he needs to produce. I'll gladly take 15 goals here in NJ. But he needs to score mid to upper 20's if he's Albany.

Would love to see Helg make the team, Hrabranka or Scarlett making squad would surely mean the end of Gelinas.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
forgot that Thompson will also be in the mix. Matteau is on the team, have to think Kalinin is on the team.

Could see one of the college guys making a push. But thomson and Black seemed poised for more substantial roles in Albany to further their development.

big year for Boucher coming up. would love to see him earn his way onto team. But no matter where he ends up he needs to produce. I'll gladly take 15 goals here in NJ. But he needs to score mid to upper 20's if he's Albany.

Would love to see Helg make the team, Hrabranka or Scarlett making squad would surely mean the end of Gelinas.

I really don't want to give up on Gelly yet. He is the best skating D man on the team and has shown some really nice offensive flashes. He brings an element that no other D man brings on the team. It's way too early to give up on him. I wouldn't be too opposed to trading him if the return is good, but I wouldn't jettison him for a total unknown at this point.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

That is league leader territory in the AHL. Last year the 5th and 6th leading goal scorer had 29 goals in the AHL.. It would be nearly impossible for a sniping winger without a decent center on a nonplayoff team to put up those numbers

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I really don't want to give up on Gelly yet. He is the best skating D man on the team and has shown some really nice offensive flashes. He brings an element that no other D man brings on the team. It's way too early to give up on him. I wouldn't be too opposed to trading him if the return is good, but I wouldn't jettison him for a total unknown at this point.

Yikes.... Not even
close.

Just as skaters:

1. Severson
2. Greene
3. Merrill
4. Gelinas
5. Larsson

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Gelinas is already 24. We're probably like 6-8 months away from the "he is what he is" moment. If Hrabarenka or Scarlett make a push, I'd move Gelly for the right price. Though if he gets beaten out in camp, he probably wouldn't be worth much in a trade anyway.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yikes.... Not even
close.

Just as skaters:

1. Severson
2. Greene
3. Merrill
4. Gelinas
5. Larsson

I guess skating is somewhat of a subjective term. I should say smoothest skating D man. I don't think there is a D man on the team better at going end to end than Gelinas. As far as transitions from forward to backward skating or technique I wouldn't argue with you. But if I have to pick one D man to skate it out of his own zone it's Gelly, followed closely by old man Greene.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gelinas is already 24. We're probably like 6-8 months away from the "he is what he is" moment. If Hrabarenka or Scarlett make a push, I'd move Gelly for the right price. Though if he gets beaten out in camp, he probably wouldn't be worth much in a trade anyway.

Age is far less of a factor than game experience for a Dmen... Take a look at what Andy Greene was at 25 and 26...he was a cusp NHL player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That is league leader territory in the AHL. Last year the 5th and 6th leading goal scorer had 29 goals in the AHL.. It would be nearly impossible for a sniping winger without a decent center on a nonplayoff team to put up those numbers

Mid to upper 20- is somewhere in the 24-29 goals range.

Whitney had 23 last year in 66 games, and was tied with 5 other guys for 26th in the league.

If we have any hope of Boucher becoming a top 6 player, I don't think bettering the production of Joe Whitney is too much to ask.

And there will be center options with offensive potential in Black and Blandisi. Again, if we have hope that these guys are future NHL players, producing in the AHL is not that much to ask.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I guess skating is somewhat of a subjective term. I should say smoothest skating D man. I don't think there is a D man on the team better at going end to end than Gelinas. As far as transitions from forward to backward skating or technique I wouldn't argue with you. But if I have to pick one D man to skate it out of his own zone it's Gelly, followed closely by old man Greene.

But that has more to do with role than ability. Based on pure ability if I had to chose one Dman to go end to end it would be Severson... He is at a point in his career where he doesn't have that green light.

And when you have a anchor Dman playing with a Gelinas or a Zidlicky they always have to stay back and be extremely selective when to press. So your not going to see it from Greene or Merrill all that often when they are holding down the fort.... Doesn't mean they can't though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mid to upper 20- is somewhere in the 24-29 goals range.

Whitney had 23 last year in 66 games, and was tied with 5 other guys for 26th in the league.

If we have any hope of Boucher becoming a top 6 player, I don't think bettering the production of Joe Whitney is too much to ask.

And there will be center options with offensive potential in Black and Blandisi. Again, if we have hope that these guys are future NHL players, producing in the AHL is not that much to ask.

Well the good thing is that there will be better center options...Black and Kelly Zajac were hurt pretty much all last year, add Blandisi and you've got some good options up the middle.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
But that has more to do with role than ability. Based on pure ability if I had to chose one Dman to go end to end it would be Severson... He is at a point in his career where he doesn't have that green light.

And when you have a anchor Dman playing with a Gelinas or a Zidlicky they always have to stay back and be extremely selective when to press. So your not going to see it from Greene or Merrill all that often when they are holding down the fort.... Doesn't mean they can't though.

That's fair, but I still believe there is room for growth with Gelinas. If he can become more intelligent defensively he has the potential to be a real weapon. I just think it's a bit early to give up on him.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Unless there's a no brainer trade out there - Gelly should get a chance to work with a new D-coach (assuming we have one). What do we have to lose, other than games, which we probably do anyway.

Matteau, as others have pointed out, is on the team.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
How do we know which position he plays? Last season he took almost 600 faceoffs (3rd in team) so maybe like he's been playing as 3rd line center.

That's exactly what he is. He isn't flashy, don't expect 20 goals, but he is very good at FO's and is good defensively. He'll probably get some PK time too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad