Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign John Moore, 3 years, $1.6M AAV

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Hes a good add, He still allows for competition but also can win a top 6 spot and not take time away from our young guys.

He will battle out for a top-6 spot with guys we all felt would have a shot and if he is out played he is 7th if he makes the team he can play bottom pairing minutes and spot start 2nd paring minutes if needed. Its a win win.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why does this signing not make sense to some people? The Devils have five defencemen under contract. You need seven for the roster. The math is pretty simple. And Moore's a pretty good young player. This is a good addition.

Yeah they weren't literally going to hand a spot to Hulk or Hraberenka with nothing behind them this year. And unlike the pricier signings you can easily make this guy dissapear if you have to.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I don't see much difference except Moore doesn't fight.

rangers fan in peace.

he does though. he actually can throw em pretty good.

however, don't expect much here.

initially, he will have a few good games showing his skating skill which is top notch. he will fool you early. then, he will slowly begin to morph into a guy who doesnt think the game too well and eventually, you guys will sour on him.

his decision making is questionable. at best.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Why does this signing not make sense to some people? The Devils have five defencemen under contract. You need seven for the roster. The math is pretty simple. And Moore's a pretty good young player. This is a good addition.

This guy is a borderline 6/7th Dman that is why.

This certainly isn't the anchor for one of our young Dmen that I thought we ALL agreed was needed.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida

This certainly isn't the anchor for one of our young Dmen that I thought we ALL agreed was needed.

He has the potential to break out, but I do see your point that if Shero was going to grab a Dman from the UFA crop it'd be more of a veteran presence, but maybe he tried and nobody was available? Its hard to tell when you're not a fly on the wall in his office.

Either way, I think John Moore will surprise a lot of people here. NJD has a tendency to do well with defensemen and Moore already has the tools to take the next step.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

This I understand and agree with. I'm not high on this signing at all. But it could be worse. This is the kind of contract that is relatively easy to move in the future. I hate the term though.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
maybe he IS supposed to be the #6/7 DMan?

would you rather him or that piece of trash Peter Harrold/Mark FraseR?

I know my answer.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009

Umm, they needed to sign a guy to fill that 6/7 spot and he does so I don't see the issue. Would you rather them go out and make another Tallinder type signing? Because that sure worked out well.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Initial gut feeling, I like the signing.
Would have liked it even better for 2 years, but, I give a thumbs up.

He skates very well and has good hands.
Sure he lacks in some areas but I think we're a better team today with his addition.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Meh, I'm not too sure what his role is going to be. I doubt he replaces Merrill and is probably more on course with Eric Gelinas. Does Shero envision Moore and Gelinas as a pair? I don't know, I wouldn't feel too comfortable with them even if they got limited minutes.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Maybe Shero isn't willing to bank on Hrabarenka/Helgeson being ready.

Santini and Jacobs won't be with the NHL team next year, and this is a much more palatable alternative to rolling out Fraser/Harrold as our depth defenders. We're paying for potential a little bit, the guys 24 and actually has some skill, 1.6m isn't exactly crippling in todays NHL with a 70 million cap. That's great value for a potentially quite decent bottom pairing guy, plus he's a lefty too.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Unless there is a trade its pretty clear to mean they are letting the kids handle the D this year.

Greene Larrson
Severson Merrill
Moore Gellinas

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He has the potential to break out, but I do see your point that if Shero was going to grab a Dman from the UFA crop it'd be more of a veteran presence, but maybe he tried and nobody was available? Its hard to tell when you're not a fly on the wall in his office.

Either way, I think John Moore will surprise a lot of people here. NJD has a tendency to do well with defensemen and Moore already has the tools to take the next step.

Or he just doesn't want to sign a big money guy for term with a second wave of d-prospects coming soon

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
maybe he IS supposed to be the #6/7 DMan?

would you rather him or that piece of trash Peter Harrold/Mark FraseR?

I know my answer.

Shero said he wasn't as concerned with the need for an anchor as we were.

So ya he is here to be exactly that 6/7 and battle at camp with Hulk and company.

It's an easy contract to make disappear if he loses.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Does anyone feel comfortable with a Moore - Gelinas pairing. I really preferred a veteran defenseman there.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
My only concern is if the Coyotes, the only team with more cap space than the Devils didn't qualify him for $900K, why is he worth $1.6M on the open market?

According to Larry Brooks NY Post article the day after he was included in the Yandle deal that Moore would have gotten 1.8 in arbitration which is the reason why the Rangers traded him (we know they have cap problems). I am not sure why Arizona let him go, but he had an atrocious -11 in his brief time with them after the trade.

He was a 3rd pairing d-man for the Rangers these past 2 seasons and played in most of the Rangers Stanley Cup run 2 years ago. Looking at his stats in the playoffs 2 years ago it looks like he played a really safe game and got like 14 minutes a game.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Great skater, has a nice slap shot, and is still young. He can throw em too in a fight and definitely has a bit of a mean streak which comes out at random times like offdacrossbar said. To me, he was very disappointing as an NYR because I expected a lot more with the skill he has and how young he was. I grew to just take him for what he is though, a 6th defenseman which he's more than capable of being in the NHL. He still has room to grow at his age so maybe it hits him but I personally don't see it. Like odc said, extremely questionable decision making at times. That's my quick assessment on Moore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad