Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign John Moore, 3 years, $1.6M AAV

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is terrible man.

Doesn't Shero know that our STUD prospect Alexander Urbom could have been brought back instead? Henrik Tallinder is also a UFA.

FAIL!

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
My only concern is if the Coyotes, the only team with more cap space than the Devils didn't qualify him for $900K, why is he worth $1.6M on the open market?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not going to complain but this doesn't make much sense to me.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm on the fence about this one - not sure why he would've have been qualified with Arizona then somehow snags a 3 year deal at decent coin, thus solidifying a spot in the lineup (and potentially taking away a spot from one of the kids).

Though at 24, this is exactly the type of FA signing you want to see the Devils make. Guess this makes someone expendable if a younger player or two is ready to step up this year.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Sounds like Rags and Arizona fans think he is not good at all. Good skater but not good in any other area. 3 years is a bit long. $1.6 million seems a bit high as well considering he wasn't good last year and wasn't qualified.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Moore has a ten cent head. Prepare yourself accordingly.

Well someone needs to take over for Zids in that regard. :laugh:

He's still young and it's a cheap deal, so I'm a fan. It'll be interesting to see if this opens up possibly moving one of our d-men in a deal for another forward. I know we needed another NHLer in there, but I'm intrigued.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I really like what Shero is doing.

He's trying to add as many players under 25 and create a bit of a core.

We lose nothing from adding Moore to this cheap deal but he can turn his game around and be part of a young defense.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
The term interests me...lot of term for a question mark still
... I assume we're close to moving a D soon

Its not that big of a deal. The cap hit is so low that the years are basically negligible. He can be bought out or waived and buried in the minors easily.

I wouldnt assume anything is close to happening in respect to moving D because of this. I think it was pretty much a certainty we were going to bring on at least 1 D-Man with NHL experience when we're losing 3 of them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wonder that too. This has got to be for the 3rd pairing. He's American too, so maybe he has a connection with Hynes?

Greene-Larsson
Merrill-Severson
Moore-Gelinas

Just makes too much sense to envision either him or Gelly in the top 4

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I love how on HF, the first thing anyone ever posts about after an FA signing or trade is how management could potentially get rid of the player before he even gets 1 second of ice time :laugh:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Moore is definitely an improvement over Fraser.

Good skater. Might be able to put it together like Kris Russell did in his mid 20s. Can't hurt.

It's a whatever signing.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So? A lot of players don't accept their qualifying offers, that doesn't mean you let them go.

It doesn't make sense to me that Arizona would let him go, unless they just didn't want to pay him.

If he doesn't go to accept it and they go arbitration and they don't like the outcome the same thing would happen. It's probably just them not wanting to pay him.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
Why does this signing not make sense to some people? The Devils have five defencemen under contract. You need seven for the roster. The math is pretty simple. And Moore's a pretty good young player. This is a good addition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad