Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Gelinas (1 year, $900k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I thought that Merrill and Gelinas were at their best when paired together. Larsson/Gelinas were good too - but I'd have:

Greene/Larsson playing top minutes
Zids/Sal
Gelinas/Merrill

at least to start the season. As the kids get stronger as a pairing, they get more minutes.

It's not like bottom pairing minutes on some teams - the Devils tend to give their bottom pair decent toi.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It'll be interesting to see how the special teams TOI gets distributed. With Fayne and Volch gone from the PK somebody is going to have to replace those minutes. And there's also a point position open one of the PP units, unless we're going with a fourth forward there.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It'll be interesting to see how the special teams TOI gets distributed. With Fayne and Volch gone from the PK somebody is going to have to replace those minutes. And there's also a point position open one of the PP units, unless we're going with a fourth forward there.

Lars and Merrill are going to have to step up on the PK.

As for the point spot on the PP again that is a spot Merrill can and most likely will take. If not him then a forward.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would be a little concerned with putting too much on Merrill's plate, but I guess we really don't have any other choice. It's pretty much sink or swim time with the kids.

Jaysfanatic*

I would be a little concerned with putting too much on Merrill's plate, but I guess we really don't have any other choice. It's pretty much sink or swim time with the kids.

That's why Kaberle is here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's why Kaberle is here.

No room. We have 7 defensemen signed. We won't be rolling with 8 (look at all the forwards we have) Kaberle was Gelly insurance.

Merrill is going to be taking on a lot of responsibilities this year. He and Lars both have to or Greene is going to end up dead from being overplayed.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'm really interested in how things differ systematically this year.

There's going to be an interesting trade off between the older forwards and younger defense. There will be some sacrifices necessary of the forwards to make up for having a raw blueline.

On the other hand, this defense can return the favor in the added offense it will be able to provide compared to previous seasons.

Gelinas is a big part of making the latter happen. Because of that, I'd rather not anchor him to Sal.
I don't mind Sal with Zidlicky because Zid is so good at creating his own offense.
It would benefit Gelinas to have other players who can help capitalize off of the chaos he creates.

Ideally, Gelinas with Larsson and Sal with Zid looks good. I do worry about a drop off in Merrill's game at some point, though. Not permanently, but he's going to get a lot thrown at him for a guy with very little pro experience.

Jaysfanatic*

No room. We have 7 defensemen signed. We won't be rolling with 8 (look at all the forwards we have) Kaberle was Gelly insurance.

Merrill is going to be taking on a lot of responsibilities this year. He and Lars both have to or Greene is going to end up dead from being overplayed.

Merrill will be sent down for veteran presence and be the first call up. Kaberle will make it with a strong camp.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Merrill would have to have a horrific camp to not make the team. The coaching staff trusts him the most out of all the kids. And Kaberle I don't see being an option unless we really get injuries or the kids fall on their faces. And that would only be if Kaberle had a great camp.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Merrill would have to have a horrific camp to not make the team. The coaching staff trusts him the most out of all the kids. And Kaberle I don't see being an option unless we really get injuries or the kids fall on their faces. And that would only be if Kaberle had a great camp.

This exactly. Merrill is almost teacher's pet at this point. Coaching staff loves him, he would have to have a disaster of a camp or get hurt to not make the team.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I don't care about how you stack the pairings but that is what I want to start the season

you want Salvador playing top 4 minutes? as I said, Gelinas-Larsson was a pretty good pairing when they were together.

Do I want Salvador playing top 4 minutes? Of course not, but between the two of them it's the lesser of two evils until Gelinas proves he can handle more and considering where he left off last season, he's a long way from that.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
There has to be some competition for the 7th spot, but you also have to wonder if the younger guys should be in that spot? We bring this up constantly, but wouldn't you rather have a rookie playing 15+ mins a night in the AHL compared to 5 protected mins in the NHL?

Plus having a guy like Kaberle in the press box doesn't hurt in case of injuries or if another team really needs his kind of skillset come deadline day... Assets never hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad