Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Gelinas (1 year, $900k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He deserved more than 900k. It is a shame Lou wasn't willing to give him a fair deal (~1.2m). These are the type of cheap shots that players remember when they start to have some leverage.

Once he learns to play something that vaguely resembles defense he will deserve more.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think he would deserved anything more than 1m.

Gelinas maybe the worst D in his own zone in the entire NHL last year, but getting .5 PTS per game makes him worth easily above 1m.

So stupid to use power to save 300k today when it could save millions in the future.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I think 900k is fair, both him and Larsson are out there to prove consistency above all else. They both struggled with that.

If they prove their worth, they'll get their payday. Lou isn't afraid to reward players, but they have to earn it.

I still do not trust this agent going forward, though. I figured an 11th hour deal, but I still worry about next year's theatrics when he has more negotiating rights.

Happy for now, though :)

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Gelinas maybe the worst D in his own zone in the entire NHL last year, but getting .5 PTS per game makes him worth easily above 1m.

So stupid to use power to save 300k today when it could save millions in the future.

Who cares? I sincerely doubt this has any tangible affect on things. Gelinas will have his market value later on and will likely get it, whether it be from NJ or someone else.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Avoids him missing any training camp time so that's all that matters.

Also its good for Larsson that its the same contract. Players use money to compare themselves to others and it might have been awkward if Gelinas made more.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I can't help but get the feeling that out of all the young defensive prospects we have if one was moved it will be Gelinas, really hope I'm wrong.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

You're not going to get any hometown discount on Gelinas in the future whether he's underpaid or overpaid now. If Gelinas wants to stay he'll stay, if he wants to take the highest offer he'll do that regardless. Besides Lou might not even be the GM when Gelinas goes UFA.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I can't help but get the feeling that out of all the young defensive prospects we have if one was moved it will be Gelinas, really hope I'm wrong.

Who would you rather see moved? If one of our young d prospects gets moved Gelinas is the one I would be least heartbroken about

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Avoids him missing any training camp time so that's all that matters.

Also its good for Larsson that its the same contract. Players use money to compare themselves to others and it might have been awkward if Gelinas made more.

Gelinas played a lot more in the NHL last year and had a bigger impact, honestly I'm surprised it was such a big deal to keep them on a similar path.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Who cares? I sincerely doubt this has any tangible affect on things. Gelinas will have his market value later on and will likely get it, whether it be from NJ or someone else.

I do. This is a very poor policy that Lou always has done and can bite him in the ass when these players have leverage. The 300k to Gelinas would have meant the world to Gelinas and is meaningless to the NJD.

If Gelinas improves significantly this year do you think he is going to be an easy sign next year? I don't.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Who would you rather see moved? If one of our young d prospects gets moved Gelinas is the one I would be least heartbroken about

I didn't say I wanted to see him move but just that my gut tells me if one of them were moved it would be him. And out of our defensemen I think Gelinas has the highest ceiling solely because if he ever improved his defensive game he would be a premier defenseman, maybe him worthy of consideration for the Norris, he can be that good.

And to be honest it would be too difficult to say who I would be least heartbroken about leaving.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

I get the same feeling. I might be one of his harshest critics right now, but even with all of the other great prospects in the pipeline, I still find it hard to temper my excitement for what he might be able to bring.

No guarantee his defensive skills improve enough to give him the value I think he can have... but I really do love what this kid has shown he can do with the puck.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
You're not going to get any hometown discount on Gelinas in the future whether he's underpaid or overpaid now. If Gelinas wants to stay he'll stay, if he wants to take the highest offer he'll do that regardless. Besides Lou might not even be the GM when Gelinas goes UFA.

It is not about taking the highest offer. It is about willing to sign a deal before he gets to listen to others. That is when the player trust in Lou matters. Does the player trust Lou deal is market value? Or does he remember when Lou gave him what he was asking for in the past?

I hope Gelinas greatly improves. If he does his next contract won't be an easy signing since this no brainer was a pain.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Gelinas was 54th pick overall and he just got the same deal the 4th overall got while playing worse at his position.

If he is going somewhere else over 100k or so down the road then he was going to go anyways.

Gelinas played significantly more NHL games last year. I was his biggest defensive critic last season, but he still produced a lot of points and IMO a fair deal is ~1.2m. I am also Larsson biggest fan. I think he is significantly better than Merrill/Gelinas, but last season he didn't improve from the previous and played a significantly amount in the AHL.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
$900k is perfectly fair. Good deal, now time to earn the big contract.

Agreed. This reminds me a lot of when Lou was trying to get Larsson signed to his ELC. All the talk about "no one's above the team" sorta stuff. Lou wants his players to fully buy in to being team-first, and this is a step in that direction. If it creates bad blood down the road, maybe we don't want him around anyway. Lots of players have held out with Lou and stuck around for a long time.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

First off, this doesn’t save “millions†in the future – that’s just ridiculous. Players are generally going to try to get as much as possible regardless of past contracts.

You could also look at the flipside and say that a $1.2M contract would upset Larsson as it’s arguable who the better defenseman is now and maybe he drives a harder deal next time feeling he’s proven more in the NHL and should’ve gotten a better deal this time. It also sets a precedence for deals down the line for other young d-men that are in the pipeline, which would also cost more than just $300K.

Even with his point production, Gelinas still hasn’t proven his a top 6 defenseman yet. Fortunately for him, he has every opportunity to do so this year and if he does, he’ll surely get paid next offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad