Confirmed with Link: Devils sign David Schlemko

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
What we gonna do with all this junk?

all this junk up in our trunk?
First, it's not clear that Schlemko is junk. From everything I've read, he's actually a pretty promising young-ish defenseman.

Second, this gives us 7 defensemen who have proven to be NHL capable, which is a good thing: Greene, Larsson, Severson, Moore, Gelinas, Merrill, Schlemko. That means they have to seriously compete amongst one another for ice time, which is also a good thing. It provides injury insurance.

Third, you have to remember that one thing Shero has proven to be very good at is flipping PMDs for trade value. This isn't just stocking up on NHLers, this is him giving himself additional resources that permit a trade at a later date.

I don't mind this. All in all I think it's for the good.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Schlemko is absolutely not junk. He was always solid when I saw him play for the Coyotes but I haven't watched him since he left. I really like this pick up.

GhostofKenKlee

I like this signing and the money one year show me deal.

The Moore signing puzzles me more. Me thinks a trade incoming and possibly more similar signing or two on the backline.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Not saying a trade won't happen, but having 7 NHL-proven d-men on the roster doesn't scream trade incoming. One or two injuries and we're far from a logjam.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
The impression that we have too many d-men comes from the assumption that Helgeson, Hraberenka, and Mozik (and to a lesser extent Scarlett) would compete for NHL roster spots this year. Clearly Shero and Hynes are not operating under this assumption.

It's up to those players to try to play well enough to force their way onto the roster anyway.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Not saying a trade won't happen, but having 7 NHL-proven d-men on the roster doesn't scream trade incoming. One or two injuries and we're far from a logjam.

We have 7 "proven" defensemen? I guess proven means different things to different people. I see two (Lars and Greene). I see another that really just needs more experience (Severson). After that we have a bunch of guys with varying levels of skill and experience but that's all I see. I can't even call Merrill proven after what I thought was an awful year last year. Is Moore proven? If so why has he moved around so much? Gelinas has a proven shot but that's it.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
We have 7 "proven" defensemen? I guess proven means different things to different people. I see two (Lars and Greene). I see another that really just needs more experience (Severson). After that we have a bunch of guys with varying levels of skill and experience but that's all I see. I can't even call Merrill proven after what I thought was an awful year last year. Is Moore proven? If so why has he moved around so much? Gelinas has a proven shot but that's it.

Fair enough. Clearly my definition of proven is not "would be top-4 on most teams" (Larsson and Greene). Serviceable would maybe have been a better word. Still, the main point was that having all these d-men does not mean we will be trading any of them.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Fair enough. Clearly my definition of proven is not "would be top-4 on most teams" (Larsson and Greene). Serviceable would maybe have been a better word. Still, the main point was that having all these d-men does not mean we will be trading any of them.

Agreed. We have several guys who are more like serviceable or interchangeable, and it's completely unclear to me what their collective market is.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
The impression that we have too many d-men comes from the assumption that Helgeson, Hraberenka, and Mozik (and to a lesser extent Scarlett) would compete for NHL roster spots this year. Clearly Shero and Hynes are not operating under this assumption.

It's up to those players to try to play well enough to force their way onto the roster anyway.

Plus, what if Merrill or Greene get hurt for an extended amount of time? Do we feel comfortable giving Helgeson real minutes that he hasn't shown he's ready for?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I mean I have hopes for those kids but they are no sure things and honestly our D depth isn't that deep anymore as our best prospects are all in the NHL.

Making sure we maintain organizational depth at the blueline is a good goal. Especially when it's almost guaranteed one or two guys will get hurt.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
a co-worker asked me today if i heard that the devils signed schlemko…..of course i knew but he went on about how awesome the jersey D is going to be with all that is going on. he thinks this guy will fit in fine on the 3rd pairing. he's impressed with what has been put together,……."wont score….but man, that ****in D"

said he played great for the flames last playoffs

funny thing was we were talking about defence yesterday before the signing also

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
a co-worker asked me today if i heard that the devils signed schlemko…..of course i knew but he went on about how awesome the jersey D is going to be with all that is going on. he thinks this guy will fit in fine on the 3rd pairing. he's impressed with what has been put together,……."wont score….but man, that ****in D"

said he played great for the flames last playoffs

funny thing was we were talking about defence yesterday before the signing also

Well, the young defense, Cory, and Zacha are probably about the most exciting things about this team right now, so it's good to talk about them as much as possible. :)

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
Everything I've read on the Free Agents and Rumors board about this player from fans of the other teams that he's been on say that this is a solid bottom pairing Defenseman. So I don't know what the argument is. Even if he's the #7 defenseman, better Shlemko rather a young D who should be playing, learning and progressing.

DevHock

Apr 14, 2012
Schlemko being signed doesn't make it news that a trade involving our D for offense is imminent. Once Shero believes he has a good understanding of our personnel he will start shopping. How long this will take is really the question.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If he's as good as some people here say, I suspect this was just a bargain that Shero couldn't pass up. He probably hopped on it and is waiting to see what happens in camp. If one or more of our kids shows they have the capability to play in the big leagues, then we try to work out a trade.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Definitely. Devils used 11 different defensemen last season.

I did completely forget about MA Gragnani though, wondering if he's mostly just insurance/AHL vet leadership.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Definitely. Devils used 11 different defensemen last season.

I did completely forget about MA Gragnani though, wondering if he's mostly just insurance/AHL vet leadership.

I'm guessing he's the 11th guy that Shero thinks could play in the NHL next year.

1. Greene
2. Larsson
3. Severson
4. Merrill
5. Moore
6. Gelinas
7. Schlemko
8. Mozik
9. Helgeson
10. Hrabarenka
11. ??????

I'm assuming that one is Gragnani although it might be Scarlett or Burlon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad