Confirmed with Link: Devils sign David Schlemko

DevHock

Apr 14, 2012
[NHL]771312[/NHL]

The Flames picked Schlemko up last year on waivers and he was a BEAST for us. Every time he touches the puck in the D-zone, he gets it up the ice seamlessly with his great stickhandling. Not an especially big player but he uses what size he has well to gain leverage along the boards and win battles. Defensively reliable and a good breakout pass. I see him as a young-veteran left-side #4 defenseman based on what I've seen of him.

Wrist shot is a peashooter, though, so don't put him on your power play. If he's your #5 you will have a very strong possession bottom pairing. I think he's better than that though, maybe the Devils management does too.[/QUOTE]

war on ice certainly backs up your assessment. How in the world was this guy not picked up?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I guess I can see it from that perspective, though it certainly makes things a lot tougher on Hrabarenka, Helgeson & Mozik who now have to crack the top 6 and force the Devils into making a move to get on an NHL roster this season. Other option probably would've been to rotate these guys between Albany/NJ so they have long stretches in the press box in NJ.

I think it'd be a lot harder for a young player to sit in the press box for long stretches, wondering when they would get to play, how long they would stay in the NHL, would they be ready to play if their name is in the lineup, etc. Having a designated 7th D removes that pressure.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I like what I'm hearing about this guy (who I knew zilch about before today).

I'm not really sure where Moore fits in all of this.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I like what I'm hearing about this guy (who I knew zilch about before today).

I'm not really sure where Moore fits in all of this.

Moore, probably still bottom pair.

One way deal:
----------------
Greene-Larsson
Merrill-Severson
Moore-Gelinas
Schlemko

Two way deal:
----------------
Helgeson-Hrabarenka
Burlon-Mozik
Gragnani-Scarlett
Kelly

Next year, Helgeson's deal is one way, so he'd have the inside track at the #7 spot.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I actually like this. He's got decent hands and offensive ability and isn't a total liability on defense. Plus if he is indeed our 7, when the inevitable injury happens, he won't get ragdolled like Harrold did game after game.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It also gives us the option to run with 7 D and use Gelinas more sparingly. Plus somebody is probably going to get injured at some point, so we've got an NHL defenseman who is better than the Harrolds and Frasers we've used in recent years. And he's not really holding anybody back. Helgeson is pretty limited in what he can do (especially if we're going for a more mobile defense that can help out offensively). Hrabarenka/Mozik are still more AHL than NHL players at this point. The kids who are ready are already up. The others will probably benefit more from playing regularly in the AHL than being the #7 and sitting for stretches.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
WE HAVE CHEAP DEPTH AT THE NHL LEVEL.

This kind of talent is necessary, and the fact that he's getting players like this instead of trading everyone means he trusts the youngsters to develop into proper NHL talent, and these players serve as compliments and a veteran presence who knows what it takes to win. Shero knows what he's doing.

:yo:

Last edited:

NHL Fanatik*

Moore, probably still bottom pair.

One way deal:
----------------
Greene-Larsson
Merrill-Severson
Moore-Gelinas
Schlemko

Two way deal:
----------------
Helgeson-Hrabarenka
Burlon-Mozik
Gragnani-Scarlett
Kelly

Next year, Helgeson's deal is one way, so he'd have the inside track at the #7 spot.

Schlemko will be our #6 no doubt about it.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
It also gives us the option to run with 7 D and use Gelinas more sparingly. Plus somebody is probably going to get injured at some point, so we've got an NHL defenseman who is better than the Harrolds and Frasers we've used in recent years. And he's not really holding anybody back. Helgeson is pretty limited in what he can do (especially if we're going for a more mobile defense that can help out offensively). Hrabarenka/Mozik are still more AHL than NHL players at this point. The kids who are ready are already up. The others will probably benefit more from playing regularly in the AHL than being the #7 and sitting for stretches.

Pretty much on the money.

Beetlebum*

Pretty much on the money.

Is it though?

The whole idea is to have Gelinas develop further, not to limit his minutes. Just because Seth is a stay at home defenseman does not mean he cannot skate. In fact, he is very mobile for his size, and frankly the Devils need someone like him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Is it though?

The whole idea is to have Gelinas develop further, not to limit his minutes. Just because Seth is a stay at home defenseman does not mean he cannot skate. In fact, he is very mobile for his size, and frankly the Devils need someone like him.

sorry, but Helgeson freaking stinks

I am not saying Schlemko is a great player, but he is basically a better Peter Harrold. can step right in when we need him and not look out of place from everything I've seen and read. I'm not sure why the hell anyone would complain about a $650k depth D signing, but here we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad