Seravalli: Devils showed real interest in Saros last few weeks but Preds will keep him as long as they are in playoff position

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I would for sure counter and take Mercer out but yeah if Trotz wants something like this he can check another team. seems risky. what if he walks? only 1 more season left right?
The first alone has gone up in value since they talked hopefully Devils don't do it revisit in summer.....

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Devils fan base will crucify Fitz if he stands pat and they miss the playoffs.
The majority will not we are a young team that shouldn't make a move like this to save this season.....A move to help the next few years or five years but not to save this season....Best done in offseason and most fans get that....

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I guess I've psychologically wrote off a playoff run this year because I just don't feel like the prices for the two biggest needs of the team (goalie and top-4 D) are in the realm of reality. Too many potential sellers are on the playoff bubbles. Goalie market is screwed up to a point where Mackenzie Blackwood might fetch something good.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nemec 20
L. Hughes 20
J. Hughes 22
Mercer 22
Hischier 24 25
Bratt 25

The Devils are going to be good for a long time. Fans, of the team or the league, aren't patient, but management should and I think will be.
The problem is when an organization, or even fans, get a taste of success, they hit the button for immediate results.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Looks like Saros is a Predator for life.
Wouldn't go that far and in fact I think its pretty unlikely at this point.

Like I said on the Preds board, its real easy to hold on to him for a playoff push when the offers coming in either aren't that good, or the teams that were looking at making a deal have more less thrown in the towel.

I think it's less that they are specifically keeping him for a playoff push and much more likely that the market has completely dried up, at least for that level of goaltender.

You can bet if Fitzgerald had agreed to the rumored ask Trotz wouldn't have given a darn about a playoff push.

Reactions: Forge

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I’ll never understand Gm’s

They are willing to hurt their future outlook quite a bit just to peak at WC, be one and done
Devils could make a run if everything goes right. But that involves both trading for a goalie as well as trading for another Top4 defender. A cup contending squad would only have 2 of 3 of LHughes, Nemec, Bahl playing and they'd be getting sheltered bottom pairing minutes. LHughes already looks to be hitting the wall kinda hard.

So not worth it. Might have been worth it 2 months ago to at least guarantee making the playoffs where anything would happen. Today? Too many things could go wrong and the team could miss it entirely.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Like I said on the Preds board, its real easy to hold on to him for a playoff push when the offers coming in either aren't that good, or the teams that were looking at making a deal have more less thrown in the towel.

I think it's less that they are specifically keeping him for a playoff push and much more likely that the market has completely dried up, at least for that level of goaltender.

You can bet if Fitzgerald had agreed to the rumored ask Trotz wouldn't have given a darn about a playoff push.
If that’s the package Trotz wants, it won’t matter if he waits until the summer or not. It’s not happening.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Devils fan base will crucify Fitz if he stands pat and they miss the playoffs.
There are some conspiracy theorists (myself included) that think the hangup was not retention on a Marky/Holtz swap, but a larger deal. The idea that it was Markstrom AND Hanifin for Holtz +++. And the hangup was retention there. We could ABSOLUTELY use NH here. This would explain the weird retention on just Markstrom. Chicago or a similar team could have taken on a portion and got a pick to facilitate the move. There is more to that story. Was it Conroy wanted Mercer in teh deal and Fitzy was not gonna do that? Its a far easy story then the one out there in both CGY and NJ.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

I guess we’ll see this summer. That rumored package is ridiculous and I would hope Fitz pays nothing close to it. I get why they’d want to keep Saros if they’re pushing for the playoffs. If the asking price doesn’t come down in the offseason I don’t see who’s gonna pay that or the equivalent. Honestly it doesn’t seem like Trotz is close in his expectations if the rumors are even somewhat true.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If that’s the package Trotz wants, it won’t matter if he waits until the summer or not. It’s not happening.
Well keep in mind that package also included Carrier with 50% retention so its going to look considerably different with him not a part of a Saros deal.

Keep in mind this summer changes lots of things because Trotz at that point has some hard line decisions that need to be made. You either gotta sign him or trade him, if you wait til the TDL he is likely a pure rental and you will be doing good just to get a late first out him.

With those pressures negotiations actually start to work because right now he more or less could demand what he wants, he has time. That starts to tick down come this offseason and will likely force him to more willing to take other things.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Nemec 20
L. Hughes 20
J. Hughes 22
Mercer 22
Hischier 24
Bratt 25

The Devils are going to be good for a long time. Fans, of the team or the league, aren't patient, but management should and I think will be.
I agree but Luke Hughes gets a raise in 2025-26. Nemec in 2026-27. Mercer unclear how good he really is. Maple Leafs basically had a three year window on Matthews' ELC before things got tight and it wasn't clear how the team even improved beyond then.

They don't have forever and throwing a year away (seems likely at this point) is not good. Also fixing goaltending is both easy (you can find a body) and hard (how good is that body really?).

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Someone's got to post that picture of the guy with his girlfriend, and checking out the other chick.

That guy is the Devil's GM and the chick is Markstrom/Saros

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad