GDT: Devils @ Senators: This Seasons Sucks Almost As Much As Grandpa Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Could have been 10 if he wasn't on his game.

Team defense was atrocious. And Hamilton and Smith playing together?

C'mon, man.
Agreed.

But hey, if we could get David Rittich here, wouldn't that be quite the tandem?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He's been a special kind of bad since he's come back from injury.

These last two performances are pretty unacceptable for an NHL team or even an AHL team considering they were both against AHL level competition. I guess that makes us an ECHL level team right now.
We are AHL level competition... the saying other teams are has run its course for me. We've gone a few years of facing good teams backups because we suck so bad. This group that played tonight is every bit as bad as the lineups we used from 2013-2017.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Absolute goaltending duel tonight!

3.02 xGF. 3.34 xGA. 5 GA.
It wasn't his worst game. The second power play goal against was wet toilet paper soft.

I thought he played the shorthanded goal against and the OT winner poorly.

That said, he brings his stoppable goal percentage on the season under 35% with this game lol.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He's been a special kind of bad since he's come back from injury.

These last two performances are pretty unacceptable for an NHL team or even an AHL team considering they were both against AHL level competition. I guess that makes us an ECHL level team right now.

I hope the offseason brings back the original hamilton........

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Walsh was playing like a forward. At least it was something different to look at versus this nuclear wasteland of a season.
Realize he was chasing the breakaway on the shorthanded goal, but how many times this season have Devils made diagonal passes at the top of the zone that got turned into rushes?

That should have been corrected in bantam hockey.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It is kind of scary how similarly Smith has fallen off after looking good initially like Butcher did. But he's still a kid so I'm not writing him off yet.
Thing is we don’t have the luxury of trotting him out there when he is so terrible . We have several kids pushing for roster spots. Can’t play Smith and hope he figures it out while he gets caved in . I think he is traded or given a very very short leash next year . If he even makes the starting roster

Camille the Eel

Good entertaining game tonight though really. The come back was super. Foote almost had the hat trick. The kids were something to watch. Both clubs seemed to play with an edge more and more as the game went on. And I thought Walsh looked good actually.

That forward turned Smith into a pretzel on the OT goal. Hehe.

Reactions: Dialamo

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's a reason he's on his fourth team.
So? David Rittich is on his third team and he's good.

He hasn't quite gotten to that fourth team, but I'm sure it's coming next year.....

Somewhere in the Czech league......

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Two more games, then at least the playoffs start and I get to watch real hockey for a couple weeks. Then complain all off-season how boring it is without hockey, be somewhat excited for next season only to watch another bottom 5 finish.
Have to admit I'm honestly gonna miss your pessimism until October 2022! :(

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Whaddagoal

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Thing is we don’t have the luxury of trotting him out there when he is so terrible . We have several kids pushing for roster spots. Can’t play Smith and hope he figures it out while he gets caved in . I think he is traded or given a very very short leash next year . If he even makes the starting roster
I'm not suggesting he should be given a spot, he definitely needs to earn it, and with other kids pushing he might just naturally get weeded out. But this board has a habit of writing players off rather quickly. We've seen firsthand that some kids take longer to develop than others, and defensemen usually take longer than forwards.

Camille the Eel

Two more games, then at least the playoffs start and I get to watch real hockey for a couple weeks. Then complain all off-season how boring it is without hockey, be somewhat excited for next season only to watch another bottom 5 finish.
Yes but tonight was entertaining and intriguing as to the Devils because of the youngsters. On the other hand I really wonder whether Kuokannen and Johnson have a place on this team next year vis a vis vis the kids. Smith too. Well camp next fall will be interesting.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm kind of over Kuokkanen (can I even spell his name right yet?), he's been a ginormous disappointment this year.

I never really had much expectations for McLeod, other than maybe not more 25-30 game droughts.

So in that sense, he's been a bit of a disappointment (along with Smith and probably Blackwood) for me this year, as I thought we'd get better out of him.

I guess I thought he'd build on last season like Sharangovich did or at least be on par with last season.

Or at the very least not a significant step back.

I'm sure he just overachieved last year.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I'm not suggesting he should be given a spot, he definitely needs to earn it, and with other kids pushing he might just naturally get weeded out. But this board has a habit of writing players off rather quickly. We've seen firsthand that some kids take longer to develop than others, and defensemen usually take longer than forwards.
He should be seen on a level playing field with the rookies come camp next year . If he doesn’t earn it , then he needs to be used as the spare D man or play in the AHL until he hopefully figures it out . I would not be upset if he is traded . Even if he does turn it around , his style of game will be redundant when Luke gets here . Don’t need a slow small D who’s strength is supposed to be his offence / puck moving ability when we have Hamilton and Luke and Severson .
I know I’m being harsh but I’m sick of having losing seasons ( bottom of the league bad losing seasons) and have the mentality of “ oh give it time , we are developing , one day they may be good “ F that . If he sucks next year at camp , he sits or plays in the AHL . If he isn’t traded before then which I hope he is . It’s not like he is going to turn it around to the point where he is the next Makar .

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
49811.jpg

Dougie has just been a BRUTAL signing by Fitz. Just a disaster.

He could have signed Adam Larsson and Kulikov BOTH and for much less.

Thanks again Fitz

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So? David Rittich is on his third team and he's good.

He hasn't quite gotten to that fourth team, but I'm sure it's coming next year.....

Somewhere in the Czech league......
How many teams did Jagr play for, I lost count

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad