Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Mirco Mueller (2 years, $850k AAV)

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I wonder how much input Castron had here too. I believe Columbus picked around where Mueller went in the draft that year, so it's possible he's been a player on Castron's radar for a while.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
devilsblood;135988959 I also think Shero was probably willing to overpay a little given we had such an immediate need said:
It was also reported that Buffalo and maybe one or two other teams had interest in him as well, I think people forget that when talking about the price.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Some, but not most in my opinion.

I think a lot of people questioned the trade, not knowing much about Mueller and it seemed to be a lot to pay for his track record - but I think most people figured there must be some reason why Shero was willing to pay this price for him and were willing to wait and see how he plays versus writing off the trade.

When Mueller started to play at SJ, he was very good for a young D. He would even be on the top minutes per game and at 1 occasion logged simply the highest TOI.

Then he suddenly started to fade and was sent down to the AHL.

Even if it is circumstancial, to be 1st TOI on SJ or regularly on the first TOI, he had to be doing something well.

Now you have Mirco Mueller for 2 years 850 /yrs , that is a good deal.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I think the fear with Mueller is that Shero might have traded for him strictly on draft pedigree. There is a lot of evidence out there that Mueller has not performed to expectations with SJ, even Cordell didn't like the trade when looking at the advanced numbers he posted in the minors, so I think the skepticism was deserved.

advanced numbers are so overatted in my opinion they are a supplement not a end all..... they are like plus minus in that sense.. a nice supplemental tool to help assess what you see with your own eyes...

i will defend the mueller skeptics now.... ( i am a non mueller skeptic) but its two pre season games. we cannot start to prepare for the mueller number retiring ceremony just yet... in fact neither of the games he played in were even televised so my bet is most of us didn't even see him play yet... word is he has been solid..

one of the big question marks for this season and the reality of this team making a playoff push was going to be do santini/severson/meuller ... have break out seasons...? so far... severson and apparantly mueller look really good... santini in my opinion will be as good if not better than last year without a doubt his game shouldn't leave much to question.. if these three all of a sudden play above expectations we are looking at a completely different dynamic to this season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think some of the praise for Mueller is just over exuberance personally. We really haven't seen much and what we have is difficult to interpret in my opinion.. mainly because most of it has been elementary...simple plays and simple situations for the most part. He has passed those test for sure though.

Mueller obviously has some skills. He can skate well, his passing seems very good. But there seems to be a real and unusual reluctancy with Mueller to carry the puck. Once the puck is on his stick it's over to his partner or out. Even in relatively simple situations it's the same thing. It seems to me like it's over rehearsed. Almost as if he's going down a checklist of options.

Too soon to tell anything in my opinion but I'm a bit suspicious of what I'm seeing right now.... I am a bit skeptical of his ability to process what is happening in front of him. I don't know if this is the case or not but decision making seems robotic and we haven't seen 100% game speed with real talent yet.

And it could very well be a part of the plan for him to be playing a ultra simplistic game at this point...so I'm not reading too much into anything right now positive or negative.

I just think the proclamations of "best player on the ice" are without merit and way over the top.

Last edited:

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I think some of the praise for Mueller is just over exuberance personally. We really haven't seen much and what we have is difficult to interpret in my opinion.. mainly because most of it has been elementary...simple plays and simple situations for the most part. He has passed those test for sure though.

Mueller obviously has some skills. He can skate well, his passing seems very good. But there seems to be a real and unusual reluctancy with Mueller to carry the puck. Once the puck is on his stick it's over to his partner or out. Even in relatively simple situations it's the same thing. It seems to me like it's over rehearsed. Almost as if he's going down a checklist of options.

Too soon to tell anything in my opinion but I'm a bit suspicious of what I'm seeing right now.... I am a bit skeptical of his ability to process what is happening in front of him. I don't know if this is the case or not but decision making seems robotic and we haven't seen 100% game speed with real talent yet.

And it could very well be a part of the plan for him to be playing a ultra simplistic game at this point...so I'm not reading too much into anything right now positive or negative.

I just think the proclamations of "best player on the ice" are without merit and way over the top.

I watched the entire Montreal game and he was the best d man on the ice. He was an ace on the breakout and used his speed to his advantage. Just one game but he deserves the praise. You can see there is something there.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

To me this suggests a player trying to rebuild shattered confidence.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
When you go into the trade absolutely hating it, of course you aren't going to like the player

Mueller has been our best DMan so far this preseason for my money. I havent watched every second of every game, but I've watched a good bit of at least each game.

Like was mentioned, I think he is trying to build his confidence back up. That play where he stole the puck and then deked the 2nd player out of his skates in the MTL game reminded me SO much of Larsson.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I like what I've seen out of Mueller so far but I wish we could hear the opinions about him if he hadn't scored 2 goals off of a faceoff win.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I like what I've seen out of Mueller so far but I wish we could hear the opinions about him if he hadn't scored 2 goals off of a faceoff win.

His offense isn't what he has been getting praise about, that's been a bonus. His outlet passes and positioning have been superb. He's had a lot of good takeaways in our own zone and the neutral zone as well. He's played a very efficient, steady, and reliable game so far. Consistency is going to be key, because if he can play consistently this way he will easily slot in as a solid top 4 defender.

It's unrealistic and lofty to expect a ton of offense from him since that's never been his game, but he should pick up a few points playing this way.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Mueller got rushed into the NHL by SJ and when demoted to the AHL got passed up by other prospects. That likely damaged his confidence, so maybe a change in scenery was needed.

He strikes me as an all tools/no tool box sort of player but time will tell. He was prone to making poor plays under pressure, only time will tell if he cleans that up. The SJ board's consensus has his ceiling as a bottom pairing D.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Anchoring bias is real. I too like his play in his own zone but I'm not sure all the takes would be the same without the 2 goals.

I agree.

I don't really expect him to put up a significant amount of offense, maybe 20 points or so. Probably around the typical numbers that you'd see out of Mark Fayne, Adam Larsson, Tallinder, etc.

I think he's been pretty good, otherwise.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
He's played 4 or 5 solid games in a row now. Clearly learning new tricks, which is just what you want to see from a 22 year old rookie D-man in the NHL.

Loved it when he intentionally took the puck OUT of the Devils offensive zone last night and skated it all the way back to the Devils defensive zone allowing the team to make a line change. Very mature recognition of the situation, and not to name names, but some guys would have shot that puck on goal from the blue line, allowing for a rush against the other way with a gassed line of forwards.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He looks good, I hope he utilizes his fantastic skating more by rushing the puck up or pinching into the corners in the offensive zone when needed. He has the tools.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I hope Mueller and Santini continue to grow because they both look like good top 4 shutdown options. You can see why Shero and co took a chance on Mueller. There's even a bit of physicality entering his game which is great to see.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Few weeks ago I said that it was flushing 2nd round pick down the toilet, now I have to admit he had few solid games after the beginning in which he looked worse than Lovejoy. If he continue playing like this, I'll say that the trade was worth it and I was wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad